Trudeau visits China: 6 things to watch

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010

How warm a welcome?

When Stephen Harper first went to China in 2009, the prime minister received a frosty reception and was famously chastised by Chinese Premier Wen Jiabao for not visiting sooner.

And that was when journalists were still in the room.

A senior official quipped afterwards that the reception was so frosty, icicles nearly formed on the mirrors in the room at the Great Hall of the People.

By all accounts, Trudeau should receive a much different welcome.

"The name Trudeau is almost as good as being [revered Canadian doctor Norman] Bethune, because it was, after all, Pierre Trudeau who took the step to recognize China in 1971," said former diplomat Colin Robertson, who at one point was posted in Hong Kong.

Robertson noted Justin Trudeau and Chinese President Xi Jinping also have something in common: they are both sons of famous fathers.

"So he starts off well past first base, whereas Stephen Harper was still working his way to first base even when he got there."

Trudeau visits China: 6 things to watch - Politics - CBC News

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
CBC all sunny ways all the time . Remember though Mentalfloss , Stephen Harper was not shy about criticising China's human rights and was tying them into trade . Trudeau meanwhile praises their governments control .

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.

How warm a welcome?

When Stephen Harper first went to China in 2009, the prime minister received a frosty reception and was famously chastised by Chinese Premier Wen Jiabao for not visiting sooner.

And that was when journalists were still in the room.

A senior official quipped afterwards that the reception was so frosty, icicles nearly formed on the mirrors in the room at the Great Hall of the People.

By all accounts, Trudeau should receive a much different welcome.

"The name Trudeau is almost as good as being [revered Canadian doctor Norman] Bethune, because it was, after all, Pierre Trudeau who took the step to recognize China in 1971," said former diplomat Colin Robertson, who at one point was posted in Hong Kong.

Robertson noted Justin Trudeau and Chinese President Xi Jinping also have something in common: they are both sons of famous fathers.

"So he starts off well past first base, whereas Stephen Harper was still working his way to first base even when he got there."

Trudeau visits China: 6 things to watch - Politics - CBC News

Oh how sweet and lovely!

The members of the Chinese Communist Party, the worst group of mass murderers on earth (Hitler couldn't hold a candle to them) love Justin! Just like they loved his Daddy, who never met a Communist mass murderer he didn't adore!

Oh and Justin loves them back.

I get so squishy inside, just thinking about it.

Remington1

Council Member
Jan 30, 2016
China needs to import our oil now!!. We are more reliable and the Chinese know we are stable than the cartelsl. The import and export between the two is not balanced. We import much much more. We export quality products, but the quality of many imports are questionable, even unsafe.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
When Stephen Harper first went to China in 2009...

He was packing a hefty club that had "human Rights" emblazoned on it and he came out swinging.

#7 How much of our money is trudOWE going to give to the Chinese government

Not so much money but tech.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
PHP:

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
Normally, I hate seeing conbots pretend they are something that they are not, but if it's about human rights then I'm all for it.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
Normally, I hate seeing conbots pretend they are something that they are not, but if it's about human rights then I'm all for it.

Are you really? You may even think that the western world is the bedrock of human rights. The west dosn't have a leg to stand on when criticising China about human rights especially when that same west has murdered and displaced millions of people since the end of WW2. You been sold a bag of wooden nickles.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
1.2B in deals. Whoopeee. The construction project I am working on right now which is practically in my back yard is worth more than that. Last one was four time that.All right here in BC

Conservatives have principals. That is why I refuse to go to Cuba no matter how cheap the vacation. I will not willingly support communism.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
taxslave said:
Conservatives have principals. That is why I refuse to go to Cuba no matter how cheap the vacation. I will not willingly support communism.

Lots of teachers that I know go to Cuba. They all have principals, too.

If you won't willingly support communism, I assume you refuse anything made in China? Sure, sure you do.

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
That's $1.2 Billion more than Harper ever got.

And this is just year one.

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
"Lots of teachers that I know go to Cuba. They all have principals, too."

I have to save this one. Anyone else collect this sort of thing?

personal touch

House Member
Sep 17, 2014
alberta/B.C.
Perhaps we can sell them more coal for all their new coal power plants. Carbon Tax free of course.
Where do you think all the coal is going once the Canadian or those out of commission coal plants shut down.
Coal barons are laughing all the way to the bank.....the public rewards are?

Buy stocks in coal

I am with you

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
1.2B in deals. Whoopeee. The construction project I am working on right now which is practically in my back yard is worth more than that. Last one was four time that.All right here in BC
built for trade with China.

If you can't get goods in or out, trade deals are useless.