Liberals to unveil plans for UN peacekeeping force

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Liberals to unveil plans for UN peacekeeping force

Federal cabinet ministers will troop out to one of the country's principal fighter jet bases on Friday to outline the Trudeau government's rebooted commitment to international peacekeeping — a pledge that sources tell CBC News will eventually involve hundreds of soldiers and police officers over time.

Defence Minister Harjit Sajjan, along with International Development Minister Marie-Claude Bibeau, Foreign Affairs Minister Stéphane Dion and Public Safety Minister Ralph Goodale are scheduled to make the announcement at the Bagotville air base north of Quebec City on Friday.

The announcement is coming two weeks ahead of a United Nations peacekeeping conference in London, a gathering Canada was almost excluded from because, according to a series of sources, it had not made — until recently — a firm commitment on the number of troops it could provide.

The initial list of countries prepared by conference organizers did not include Canada, said two UN sources with knowledge of the file. The officials could not speak publicly because of the diplomatic sensitivity.

The Liberal government, which made a return to peacekeeping one of its core themes in last year's election, was required to commit in writing how many soldiers would be available should the world organization ask for volunteers as missions arise.

The figure quoted to the UN was in the range of 450-500, according to the sources, who went on to say troops might not be assigned to a single mission and could be spread out over various countries where they are most needed.

The announcement on Friday is also expected to commit upwards of 100 police officers to various capacity-building missions.

The Liberals have been tight-lipped about how many troops, and where they would be going. They are not expected to reveal specific missions until a later date.

Sajjan recently returned from a five-country scouting mission of possible locations in Africa.

He said he knew how many soldiers he had at his disposal, but needed the blessing of cabinet to finalize the plan.

That authorization was apparently given at the cabinet retreat earlier this week in Sudbury, Ont., and comes in the midst of a Liberal caucus meeting in Quebec's Sageunay region.

Liberals to unveil plans for UN peacekeeping force - Politics - CBC News

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
Trudeau gave them back to Harper as a retirement gift.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
One under strength battalion... look out world!

I hope you put them where there is no fighting taking place.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
They'll be in Ukraine soon enough.

Watching white folk fight.

They better be in West Ukraine. With about 600 troops... yikes. They'll be gobbled up quick.

With 600 troops you are at most looking at an infantry company with the balance being support. If you are going to have any supporting fire you're going to need to shrink that to about a platoon of infantry.

Maybe they can pull duty in Haiti?

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
They will of course by completely dependent on the UN to keep them supplied in the field. They may even have to rely on the UN to transport them, unless of course Canada will bring it's own Motor T Unit. Then there is even less infantry to give the semblance of actually doing something. They will spend the whole deployment protecting their logistics.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
They will of course by completely dependent on the UN to keep them supplied in the field. They may even have to rely on the UN to transport them, unless of course Canada will bring it's own Motor T Unit. Then there is even less infantry to give the semblance of actually doing something. They will spend the whole deployment protecting their logistics.

They've established a base out of Latvia with the US ages ago. Besides, there is no shortage of commercial air to air refuelling to keep contracting from.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
If you're talking about Canadians being in the Ukraine and being supplied out of Latvia.......... whistle.

Remington1

Council Member
Jan 30, 2016
If our role is to train on the effective use of war weapons and strategic planning on how to kill others', then it's our role. I'm good with it, but then I'm not a soldier, they might want a different role?

PoliticalNick

The Troll Bashing Troll
Mar 8, 2011
Edson, AB
If our role is to train on the effective use of war weapons and strategic planning on how to kill others', then it's our role. I'm good with it, but then I'm not a soldier, they might want a different role?

Their role is is go over and watch like it's a football game. Same as every other peacekeeping mission we've been on.....standing orders to not interfere or engage. Lol

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
I am going through the comments... Canadians are not happy about this at all nor should they be.

But I did find this gem of a comment...

"it is isn't quantity is is quality and Canada has quality. Wars will be fought by drones no boots on the ground........."

It is mind boggling that people still think like this.

PoliticalNick

The Troll Bashing Troll
Mar 8, 2011
Edson, AB
I am going through the comments... Canadians are not happy about this at all nor should they be.

But I did find this gem of a comment...

"it is isn't quantity is is quality and Canada has quality. Wars will be fought by drones no boots on the ground........."

It is mind boggling that people still think like this.

It's mind boggling to see the spelling and grammar in that comment.

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
Here we go, again ... off to keep a peace that doesn't exist. You'd think that Somalia and Rwanda would have been big enough lessons. I guess that we need another disaster to drive the message home that, however noble we believe ourselves to be, the World is full of nasty schmucks and in the end, peacekeeping is a worthless excercise in self-congratulatory vanity.

There is no peace to keep. If there is, the combattants will find it between themselves and real peace will be made between them, not a phoney facimile forced on them. The latter creates ceasefires, not peace.

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
Good man.

The Runner | The Runner - Understanding the Future of Peacekeeping with Harjit Sajjan

“It’s about making sure we have the right information so we can make an informed decision, because at the end of the day you’re sending your troops into harm’s way.” says Sajjan.

This mission is part of the Liberal Party’s efforts to make good on a campaign promise to restore Canada’s status as a leader in global peacekeeping, a status that they believe was diminished by the Harper government.

According to the defence minister, a multilateral approach—working as a key part of international coalitions—is how Canada will resume its contribution to peace and stability in troubled regions.

“We firmly believe in multilateralism, the United Nations, and NATO, and the thing is, it’s not just about believing—it’s about the action you’re taking, [such as] our contributions to working in a coalition, the leadership role that we are taking in NATO now as one of the framework nations.”

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
Actually, it was the Liberals who got out of the peacekeeping business "BH" ... before Harper. I guess that McCallum was too p1ssed back then and doesn't remember. Romeo Dellaire should be a part of that decision, not a room full of feeel-good Grits.