Canada's Mounties allow women in uniform to wear hijabs

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Cool!

Canada's Mounties allow women in uniform to wear hijabs

The Royal Canadian Mounted Police, known as the Mounties, is to allow women in uniform to wear hijabs.

Government spokesman Scott Bardsley said the move was to reflect the diversity in Canada's communities and to attract more female Muslim officers.

The iconic uniform, famed for its wide-brimmed hat, has barely changed since it was introduced two centuries ago.

Recent figures show women make up about a fifth of the RCMP but it is not clear how many this measure will affect.

Three types of hijabs were tested before one was selected as suitable for police work, local media reported.

According to the Montreal newspaper La Presse, an internal memo said the hijab could be removed quickly and easily if needed, and did not encumber officers.

Relaxing the rules

The policy was introduced quietly earlier this year, though it was not prompted by any requests from officers, according to the AFP agency.

Some 30 officers had asked for a relaxing of the rules for religious or cultural reasons over the past two years, La Presse reported.

In most cases, the requests were from male officers wanting to grow beards.

Canada's Mounties allow women in uniform to wear hijabs - BBC News

Danbones

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 23, 2015
now if a woman were to wear a mountie hat in saudi arabia and go strolling down the street...

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
now if a woman were to wear a mountie hat in saudi arabia and go strolling down the street...

Soudi Arabia is the model you want Canada to strive for? If a Muslim woman wanted to live under Saudi rules, would she not have moved their?

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
What, no pics??? I can hardly wait till hookers pick this trend up.. I'm thinking Canadian winters would see a lot of sails just because of the fashion statement that has more possibilities than a toque.

Remington1

Council Member
Jan 30, 2016
If this is true then I say, the hijab is not enough, get them under the full Niqab, including a few men. Ottawa might want to bring back a few things as well, which would save money. If your going to do as much damage as possible in 4 years, do it well. I kind of find the Taliban's blue Niqab kind of gorgeous, Canadian women could easily adapt??

personal touch

House Member
Sep 17, 2014
alberta/B.C.
Good news,thanks to a good start, But....
,we are reminded the RCMP have a bit further to go when it comes to equality within the RCMP,particularly with women.

Her first posting ?
Canmore,AB?

personal touch

House Member
Sep 17, 2014
alberta/B.C.
One?
What are you talking about?
One?

Buck lake Alberta?

I just assumed in Cities this was already in place after all ,Muslim women would be strong representation per population,I just assumed the customs were already in
place,ignorant me,I assumed Muslim women have aspirations within law enforcement as other women
Am I surprised the RCMP are catching up?not really,
Turn your clocks back 30 years

Bonnyville Alberta

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
I want to see a hijab mountie.
Here y'go. . .

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
Looks like they now have quotas just like all other federal departments. Must be representative of the population at large. Merit has nothing to do with it.

How does permitting hijab affect performance (that being what "lower the bar" usually means)?

They have(had) a uniform.Everyone wore the same one. But now that only applies to certain groups. NExt thing you know they will let criminals in. Oh wait........

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Looks like they now have quotas just like all other federal departments. Must be representative of the population at large. Merit has nothing to do with it.

They have(had) a uniform.Everyone wore the same one. But now that only applies to certain groups. NExt thing you know they will let criminals in. Oh wait........
Which affects performance. . . how, exactly?

And I hate to burst your delusion, but even without turbans and hijab, the Mounties have several different uniforms.