Should proof of marraige to a Canadian resident constitute a work permit?

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Should proof of marriage to a citizen or permanent of Canada who resides in Canada constitute the right to work in Canada?

The reason I ask is that such a person will certainly gain that right anyway but only through a lengthy bureaucratic process.

If he has a criminal record or any other problem, then he could be removed from Canada once that is discovered. In most cases though, that won'd be the case so why not let the person work right away. Besides, this benefits his Canadian spouse too! Why would we want to drain the finances of his Canadian spouse which could lead to him payin less tax or needing more help in the future?

Your thoughts? Should proof of marriage to a Canadian citisen or permanent who resides in Canada automatically constitute a right to work equivalent to a work visa until a valid reason to revoke this right is discovered?

To further reduce the risk of links to organized crime, we might even say that a marriage certificate for example does not allow the person to sell sexual services nor to own any business that sells or serves alcohol or gambling products including lottery tickets. This would also not be equivalent to a permanent residence card. It would be equivalent to a simple work visa that would be valid for a long as the marriage is valid. For permanent residence or citizenship, the person would still have to apply for those. The marraige certificate would merely give him the right to work within these parameters.

Durry

House Member
May 18, 2010
Canada
Immigrants poem from BC.... !

I cross ocean, poor and broke.
Take bus, see employment folk.

Nice man treat me good in there.
Say I need to see welfare.

Welfare say, 'You come no more, we send cash right to your door. "

Welfare checks - they make you wealthy!
Medicare - it keep you healthy!

By and by, I get plenty money.
Thanks to you, you Canadian dummy!

Write to friends in motherland.
Tell them 'come fast as you can. "

They come in turbans and Toyota trucks,
And buy big house with welfare bucks!

They come here, we live together.
More welfare checks, it gets better!

Fourteen families, they moving in,
But neighbor's patience wearing thin.
Finally, Canadian guy moves away.
Now I buy his house, then I say,

'Find more immigrants for house to rent. "
And in the yard I put a tent.

Everything is very good,
And soon we own the neighborhood.

We have hobby, it's called breeding. Welfare pay for baby feeding.
Kids need dentist? Wives need pills? We get free! We got no bills!

Canadian crazy! They work all year, to keep the welfare running here.
We think Canada darn good place.
Too darn good for Canadian race!
If they no like us, they can scram. Got lots of room in Afghanistan!

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Immigrants poem from BC.... !

I cross ocean, poor and broke.
Take bus, see employment folk.

Nice man treat me good in there.
Say I need to see welfare.

Welfare say, 'You come no more, we send cash right to your door. "

Welfare checks - they make you wealthy!
Medicare - it keep you healthy!

By and by, I get plenty money.
Thanks to you, you Canadian dummy!

Write to friends in motherland.
Tell them 'come fast as you can. "

They come in turbans and Toyota trucks,
And buy big house with welfare bucks!

They come here, we live together.
More welfare checks, it gets better!

Fourteen families, they moving in,
But neighbor's patience wearing thin.
Finally, Canadian guy moves away.
Now I buy his house, then I say,

'Find more immigrants for house to rent. "
And in the yard I put a tent.

Everything is very good,
And soon we own the neighborhood.

We have hobby, it's called breeding. Welfare pay for baby feeding.
Kids need dentist? Wives need pills? We get free! We got no bills!

Canadian crazy! They work all year, to keep the welfare running here.
We think Canada darn good place.
Too darn good for Canadian race!
If they no like us, they can scram. Got lots of room in Afghanistan!

You do know what a work permit is, do you? A work permit is just that, a work permit. It would allow the person to work in Canada, not collect welfare.

Not to mention the blatant bigotry in the poem.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
Should proof of marriage to a citizen or permanent of Canada who resides in Canada constitute the right to work in Canada?

The reason I ask is that such a person will certainly gain that right anyway but only through a lengthy bureaucratic process.

If he has a criminal record or any other problem, then he could be removed from Canada once that is discovered. In most cases though, that won'd be the case so why not let the person work right away. Besides, this benefits his Canadian spouse too! Why would we want to drain the finances of his Canadian spouse which could lead to him payin less tax or needing more help in the future?

Your thoughts? Should proof of marriage to a Canadian citisen or permanent who resides in Canada automatically constitute a right to work equivalent to a work visa until a valid reason to revoke this right is discovered?

To further reduce the risk of links to organized crime, we might even say that a marriage certificate for example does not allow the person to sell sexual services nor to own any business that sells or serves alcohol or gambling products including lottery tickets. This would also not be equivalent to a permanent residence card. It would be equivalent to a simple work visa that would be valid for a long as the marriage is valid. For permanent residence or citizenship, the person would still have to apply for those. The marraige certificate would merely give him the right to work within these parameters.

Sounds like a scam to sell marriages and bypass the immigration system.
Drury"s poem isn't bigotry it is pretty close to the truth. Just not couched in PC terms.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Sounds like a scam to sell marriages and bypass the immigration system.
Drury"s poem isn't bigotry it is pretty close to the truth. Just not couched in PC terms.

How would it bypass the immigration system if a marriage certificate merely gives the person the right to work like a work visa? Plus there might be a deadline. For example, it might be valid only within a year of the marriage, meaning that the couple would still have to apply for an actual work visa or permanent residence card within a year. However, it would help to bypass the bureaucracy in the meantime. That way, the immigrant could start to work right away while the application is going through gubment bureaucracy.

In the worst case scenario if it is discovered that the person is inadmissible for any reason, then we remove the person from Canada. But in the vast majority of cases, it would just allow the person to work sooner.

As for the poem, it seems to be an irrationally convoluted poem about hard-working foreigners taking our jobs but going on welfare, or was that going on welfare while taking our jobs? The poor buying our houses in Vancouver? I can make no heads or tails about the logic of the poem other than that foreign = bad and marriage to a foreigner equals traitor to the Reich.

And a question about BC. Why are BCers so stupid as to allow working people who can afford a house in Vancouver to receive welfare checks?

If so, then it would seem the problem is not with the foreigners but with idiot politicians.

And a question about BC. Why are BCers so stupid as to allow working people who can afford a house in Vancouver to receive welfare checks?

If so, then it would seem the problem is not with the foreigners but with idiot politicians.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
IF simply marrying a Canadian gave a foreigner the right to work in Canada that would automatically give them entrance to the country, no?
There are people on welfare that own their own homes. Also it is pretty easy to have dummy corporations set up to "own" the house. You would have had to have been around here in the 70s-80s to appreciate the poem. It does have some basis in fact.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
An entire industry centered around arranged marriages will pop up over night

That could hypotheticallly happen, but at least they'll be working fraudsters. We could even offer this in exchange for making it tougher to obtain permanent resident status which if I'm not mistaken does allow access to social security.

Second question. Do you believe Canadians are too stupid to avoid marriage fraud? Sure, some fraudsters are good actors, but I'm sure most exogamous marriages are genuine. And as for the good actors, that's not unique to immigrants but some poor Canadians will sometimes defraud wealthier Canadians or even foreigners. Do we prohibit marriages altogether then, or just marriages between people of different socio-economic status?

IF simply marrying a Canadian gave a foreigner the right to work in Canada that would automatically give them entrance to the country, no?

So?

1. If they're married to a Canadian, should they not be allowed to enter the country?

2. If they're only allowed to work in Canada, how does that cost the taxpayer? In fact, that provides Canada with one more taxpayer to contribute to the public trough. Silly twit!

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Define marriage fraud. If you mean marrying for money instead of love then half of all marriages are fraudulent.

So how are Canadians any different from foreign nationals on this matter. In fact, I know of at least one case personally of a Canadian who had married a foreigner who was wealthier than he was! Heck, that would help to keep him off welfare!

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
So how are Canadians any different from foreign nationals on this matter. In fact, I know of at least one case personally of a Canadian who had married a foreigner who was wealthier than he was! Heck, that would help to keep him off welfare!

THey are not. Marriage of convenience has been going on for thousands of years. It is a business deal. But when both are citizens it does not matter to the country. WHen you start selling the right to be in Canada and getting all the benefits without the obligations it does.

Danbones

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 23, 2015
What the hell, keep the gene pool open
but get the stupid permit

printing the damn things helps keep Canadians working

the government would like to know about your taxes and so would probably your home country,
and affording two tax sucking windbag machines takes all the fun out of working...

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
That could hypotheticallly happen, but at least they'll be working fraudsters. We could even offer this in exchange for making it tougher to obtain permanent resident status which if I'm not mistaken does allow access to social security.

Second question. Do you believe Canadians are too stupid to avoid marriage fraud? Sure, some fraudsters are good actors, but I'm sure most exogamous marriages are genuine. And as for the good actors, that's not unique to immigrants but some poor Canadians will sometimes defraud wealthier Canadians or even foreigners. Do we prohibit marriages altogether then, or just marriages between people of different socio-economic status?

Why even go down this road knowing that it is an open door to fraud?

... And don't get all melodramatic with this prohibition on marriage to foreigners

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
You do know what a work permit is, do you? A work permit is just that, a work permit. It would allow the person to work in Canada, not collect welfare.

Not to mention the blatant bigotry in the poem.
Landed immigrant can work.

JamesBondo

House Member
Mar 3, 2012

The reason I ask is that such a person will certainly gain that right anyway but only through a lengthy bureaucratic process...

Let's get the question correct. You aren't really asking about the right to work because if you were, I could simply say 'yes' while thinking that the process to keep them out of the country should remain a lengthy bureaucratic process.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Landed immigrant can work.

But what's time scale for the process for becoming a 'landed immigrant?'

Let's get the question correct. You aren't really asking about the right to work because if you were, I could simply say 'yes' while thinking that the process to keep them out of the country should remain a lengthy bureaucratic process.

In a sense, I am recommending that the two be reversed. Rather than wait months (or at least weeks at the best of times) to get the right to work, proof of marriage to a Canadian would automatically give them that right. Then if Immigration wants to spend weeks or months figuring out whether to revoke that right, that would be its choice. That said, this would be separate from permanent resident status. It would be equal to a simple work visa essentially. If the person wants more than that, like permanent resident for instance, he'd still have to apply for it and could still be rejected.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
As soon as you land.

You're telling me that as soon as any person lands in Canada, he can just apply for a job? That might be true for refugees, but not for other immigrants, even family class.

At best you're looking at a few weeks during which you cannot work, even if you have married a Canadian.

In some cases it can take a few months or, rarely, even longer.

JamesBondo

House Member
Mar 3, 2012
well guys. My take on this is pretty simple, a marriage certificate doesn't replace documents like a police records check. to allow it to do this would be both negligent and criminal.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
well guys. My take on this is pretty simple, a marriage certificate doesn't replace documents like a police records check. to allow it to do this would be both negligent and criminal.

That happens at the port of entry anyway, no?

In fact, the CBSA can even extradite a Canadian citizen to another country to stand trial in some cases. So obviously I'm not proposing that a marriage certificate could trump a warrant for a person's arrest for example. I thought it was understood that this would be conditional on no valid reason to deny that right. IN short, the right to work in Canada would be the default, not a guaranteed right. All kinds of factors could switch that default setting. Right now not having that right is the default setting.