Sex allegations led to Tootoo’s ouster from Liberal caucus

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
Former fisheries minister Hunter Tootoo is out of a treatment centre for alcohol addiction, but he remains banned from the Liberal caucus and refuses to address accusations that he had an inappropriate relationship with a junior female staff member.

Sources told The Globe and Mail that the Prime Minister’s Office became alarmed in late May when informed that Mr. Tootoo allegedly had a relationship with a staffer that it judged to be inappropriate.

This improper sexual relationship, along with Mr. Tootoo’s drinking, led to his resignation from cabinet and ouster from the Liberal caucus, sources say.

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau has a zero-tolerance policy for sexual misconduct and harassment of women. While in opposition, Mr. Trudeau kicked MPs Scott Andrews and Massimo Pacetti out of caucus after allegations of inappropriate sexual behaviour surfaced.

The Prime Minister’s Office issued a blunt statement on Wednesday, saying Mr. Tootoo would not be allowed back into the Liberal caucus.

“We wish Mr. Tootoo well as he resumes his parliamentary functions as MP for Nunavut,” Mr. Trudeau’s office said.

“His status with regard to the Liberal caucus remains unchanged.”

Sources say Mr. Trudeau will not discuss Mr. Tootoo’s alleged improper behaviour to protect the identity of the woman involved.

In a telephone interview with The Globe and Mail on Wednesday, Mr. Tootoo was asked if a specific incident led him to seek help for alcohol abuse.

“It’s been a difficult journey,” he said. “There’s deeply personal and private issues that have haunted me. And I just saw myself going down a road I didn’t want to go on, and I knew I needed to be healthy again, and that’s why I chose to seek help and go to treatment.”
Mr. Tootoo was asked five times whether he had an inappropriate relationship with a female staffer.

more shiny

Sex allegations led to Tootoo’s ouster from Liberal caucus - The Globe and Mail

Todd Banks ‏@Banks_Todd

Todd Banks Retweeted NEWS 95.7 Halifax
No tweets of encouragement from fellow @liberal_party drunks @SeamusORegan and @HonJohnMcCallum. Dig for the story.

bluebyrd35

Council Member
Aug 9, 2008
Ormstown.Chat.Valley
Former fisheries minister Hunter Tootoo is out of a treatment centre for alcohol addiction, but he remains banned from the Liberal caucus and refuses to address accusations that he had an inappropriate relationship with a junior female staff member.

Sources told The Globe and Mail that the Prime Minister’s Office became alarmed in late May when informed that Mr. Tootoo allegedly had a relationship with a staffer that it judged to be inappropriate.

This improper sexual relationship, along with Mr. Tootoo’s drinking, led to his resignation from cabinet and ouster from the Liberal caucus, sources say.

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau has a zero-tolerance policy for sexual misconduct and harassment of women. While in opposition, Mr. Trudeau kicked MPs Scott Andrews and Massimo Pacetti out of caucus after allegations of inappropriate sexual behaviour surfaced.

The Prime Minister’s Office issued a blunt statement on Wednesday, saying Mr. Tootoo would not be allowed back into the Liberal caucus.

“We wish Mr. Tootoo well as he resumes his parliamentary functions as MP for Nunavut,” Mr. Trudeau’s office said.

“His status with regard to the Liberal caucus remains unchanged.”

Sources say Mr. Trudeau will not discuss Mr. Tootoo’s alleged improper behaviour to protect the identity of the woman involved.

In a telephone interview with The Globe and Mail on Wednesday, Mr. Tootoo was asked if a specific incident led him to seek help for alcohol abuse.

“It’s been a difficult journey,” he said. “There’s deeply personal and private issues that have haunted me. And I just saw myself going down a road I didn’t want to go on, and I knew I needed to be healthy again, and that’s why I chose to seek help and go to treatment.”
Mr. Tootoo was asked five times whether he had an inappropriate relationship with a female staffer.

more shiny

Sex allegations led to Tootoo’s ouster from Liberal caucus - The Globe and Mail

Todd Banks ‏@Banks_Todd

Todd Banks Retweeted NEWS 95.7 Halifax
No tweets of encouragement from fellow @liberal_party drunks @SeamusORegan and @HonJohnMcCallum. Dig for the story.
Hmmmm, So.....he didn't answer their questions that fall into the same category as "And sir when was the last time you beat your wife"? I wonder why???LOL.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister

Nice to see that Justine is the one to sit in judgement of the appropriateness of someone elses relationships.

... Too bad he didn't apply that same metric to his old man when he decided to knock-up someone that was 40-50 years younger than him.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.

QUOTE]

Was it between two consenting adults?

Nice to see that Justine is the one to sit in judgement of the appropriateness of someone elses relationships.

... Too bad he didn't apply that same metric to his old man when he decided to knock-up someone that was 40-50 years younger than him.

Nice try Cap't. I think 29 years would be closer. You should have shut up after the first sentence. (There's just one example why a lot of people don't believe f**k all you say) :) :)

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
Hey crotch-rot, nice to see that you haven't keeled over quite yet.

I see that you haven't changed your MO in terms of offering up more useless commentary.

I think 29 years would be closer.

Here's your problem... You don't think.

A simple search would have provided the answer that the age difference was a paltry and minuscule 35 years.

On Sept. 6, 1991, The Globe and Mail published a sensational scoop. At 71, Pierre Trudeau had secretly fathered a baby girl, named Sarah. The mother was a constitutional lawyer named Deborah Coyne, 36.
Coyne, Trudeau: Strange bedfellows indeed - The Globe and Mail

You should have shut up after the first sentence. (There's just one example why a lot of people don't believe f**k all you say) :) :)

Understanding that with your advanced age and certain dementia, I can appreciate that you would not understand the exaggerations I used to make a point.

Perhaps the solution is that posters provide a dedicated JLM Disclaimer such that mental midgets such as yourself don't choke on your ovaltine each time someone employs sarcasm, exaggeration or otherwise. (I'd hate to be the cause a major health event for ya'll)

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Hey crotch-rot, nice to see that you haven't keeled over quite yet.

You really are an idiot aren't you? So now it's 35 years, a bit of a far cry from 40 - 50 don't you think. When I quoted 29 years I was referring to his LEGITIMATE kids. Oct. 18, 1919 to Sept. 10, 1948 is almost exactly 29 years. So don't knock yourself out slapping yourself on the back.

Corduroy

Senate Member
Feb 9, 2011
Vancouver, BC

How does this make any sense? What could Justin Trudeau do about his father in 1991 when Justin was 20 and had no power in the Liberal party and his father was long retired? Or maybe he could have done something about it when he became Liberal leader over a decade after his father's death. Dig up his father's corpse, put him in the Liberal caucus then kick him out. Force him to resign from his position as Minister of Dead Guy.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
How does this make any sense? What could Justin Trudeau do about his father in 1991 when Justin was 20 and had no power in the Liberal party and his father was long retired? Or maybe he could have done something about it when he became Liberal leader over a decade after his father's death. Dig up his father's corpse, put him in the Liberal caucus then kick him out. Force him to resign from his position as Minister of Dead Guy.

Glad to see someone is talkin' sense. The Captain loves hyperbole.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
You really are an idiot aren't you? So now it's 35 years, a bit of a far cry from 40 - 50 don't you think. When I quoted 29 years I was referring to his LEGITIMATE kids. Oct. 18, 1919 to Sept. 10, 1948 is almost exactly 29 years. So don't knock yourself out slapping yourself on the back.

There's that dementia setting in..... I guess that you don't consider Sara Coyne one of his kids huh?

What gives the Trudeau gvt the right to judge the appropriateness of any relationship?

I didn't read anything about the female staffer complaining, so if JT figures he ought to weigh in on this far after the fact, why not his own family?

Corduroy

Senate Member
Feb 9, 2011
Vancouver, BC
What gives the Trudeau gvt the right to judge the appropriateness of any relationship?

I didn't read anything about the female staffer complaining, so if JT figures he ought to weigh in on this far after the fact, why not his own family?

For the obvious reasons I laid out. Justin Trudeau is in a position of responsibility as head of the cabinet and Liberal caucus. Relationships between people in power and the people below them are considered not appropriate in a workplace and Trudeau runs that workplace. He had no responsibility to the non-existent workplace his father and Deborah Coyne were in. They weren't in the Liberal caucus. Justin wasn't Liberal leader or Prime Minister, and his father is now dead.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
Nope, didn't read anything about the workplace being the inappropriate component, a few words about booze though.

Your making this stuff up as you go along doesn't really cut it.

As for JT and his old man's history relative to this issue; Pot-Kettle-Black

Corduroy

Senate Member
Feb 9, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Glad to see someone is talkin' sense. The Captain loves hyperbole.

Does he? I don't pay much attention to him. Looks more like Trudeau-derangement syndrome. The only way you could think Justin Trudeau should react similarly to Hunter Tootoo's situation and his father's is if you were so blinded by your obsessions with Justin and Pierre Trudeau that you make the connections up in your mind like a cracked out conspiracy theorist. But maybe it's just hyperbole. You could be right.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
I don't pay much attention to him.

Apparently you do.

let's try again;

Nope, didn't read anything about the workplace being the inappropriate component, a few words about booze though.

Your making this stuff up as you go along doesn't really cut it.

As for JT and his old man's history relative to this issue; Pot-Kettle-Black

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta

You should try reading the OP again