Canada to implement national carbon price

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
While the curmudgeons are stuck in the ice.

Canada will implement a national policy to charge polluters for emitting carbon dioxide by the end of the year, a top government official said.

Catherine McKenna, Canada’s environment minister, told Bloomberg TV Canada that the goal of the policy is a uniform national carbon price, along with new requirements for companies to disclose emissions.

“What we want to see is uniformity in terms of a national price, also that we’re doing it in a thoughtful way, and provinces and territories need to decide what they’re doing with the revenues,” she said.

Four provinces representing about 80 percent of Canada’s population currently have some kind of carbon pricing policies, which usually consist of either a carbon tax or cap-and-trade system.

Asked whether her pledge means that provinces and territories without a tax currently would be forced to implement one, McKenna told Bloomberg, “I don’t like the word forced. I think this is really an opportunity.”

“We need a national price on carbon,” she said. “So that’s what we’re going to have in the fall.”

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau met in March with the leaders of all of the provinces and territories, and asked them to propose by October climate plans for their jurisdictions that would reduce greenhouse gas emissions.

Trudeau, a member of the Liberal party, came to power last year, replacing Conservative Prime Minister Stephen Harper. Harper had resisted wide-ranging climate policies, and Trudeau’s party was elected in part due to its promise to take climate more seriously.

Canada to implement national carbon price | TheHill

Danbones

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 23, 2015
This is a global problem, we need a heavy hitter...
so...
how come we ain't sendin dis dough to da pope?

This will ruin the country. These cowardly shjtheads should be whipped out of office.
eggs:
eggs are not to be whipped...that's for cream
eggs should be beaten
as for their little heads....
I'll leaven that one to the readers imagination

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
This is a global problem, we need a heavy hitter...
so...
how come we ain't sendin dis dough to da pope?

Could some arrangement like that have been hidden in the three or four hundred kilometers of official stationary? When you have finished reading get back to me.

You'll have to revise DanBones, I have ruined the continuity.

Danbones

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 23, 2015
Once god goes from insurance to ransom we are in deep doo doo

Jinentonix

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 6, 2015
Olympus Mons
What we want to see is uniformity in terms of a national price, also that we’re doing it in a thoughtful way, and provinces and territories need to decide what they’re doing with the revenues,”
So it's not an actual environmental policy, it's just a huge tax grab from the party who thinks they know how to better spend YOUR money than you do.

The Liberals are also working on streamlining and simplifying the T1 tax return. I caught a peek at an early draft.

Line 1: How much did you earn last year?
Line 2: Send it in.

Angstrom

Hall of Fame Member
May 8, 2011
:lol:

You worry too much about taxes.

Just get a better job and enjoy life.

Until a super power enforces environmental treaties with declaration of war on offending nations all this is bull**** waste of our time.

smallandmighty

Nominee Member
May 12, 2013
108 Mile Ranch BC
While the curmudgeons are stuck in the ice.

Canada will implement a national policy to charge polluters for emitting carbon dioxide by the end of the year, a top government official said.

Catherine McKenna, Canada’s environment minister, told Bloomberg TV Canada that the goal of the policy is a uniform national carbon price, along with new requirements for companies to disclose emissions.

“What we want to see is uniformity in terms of a national price, also that we’re doing it in a thoughtful way, and provinces and territories need to decide what they’re doing with the revenues,” she said.

Four provinces representing about 80 percent of Canada’s population currently have some kind of carbon pricing policies, which usually consist of either a carbon tax or cap-and-trade system.

Asked whether her pledge means that provinces and territories without a tax currently would be forced to implement one, McKenna told Bloomberg, “I don’t like the word forced. I think this is really an opportunity.”

“We need a national price on carbon,” she said. “So that’s what we’re going to have in the fall.”

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau met in March with the leaders of all of the provinces and territories, and asked them to propose by October climate plans for their jurisdictions that would reduce greenhouse gas emissions.

Trudeau, a member of the Liberal party, came to power last year, replacing Conservative Prime Minister Stephen Harper. Harper had resisted wide-ranging climate policies, and Trudeau’s party was elected in part due to its promise to take climate more seriously.

Canada to implement national carbon price | TheHill

Turdeau, now there is the biggest polluter of all. I wonder if he is included in this tax, and who the polluters are. So who are the polluters? Everyone? Or just the working man/woman?

I don't really think Turdeau gives a damn about the enviroment, it just go him in power, and he is trippin! He has no room to talk flitting all around the world being a photo'ho!

I do not think the liberal party really cares about the enviroment, it is just a way to get votes, and Turdeau in the power seat, and this guy is trippin! He himself is flittin all over the world having his picture taken with anyone. That is what is important to this guy.

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Until a super power enforces environmental treaties with declaration of war on offending nations all this is bull**** waste of our time.

Aren't you the guy that praises innovation in capitalism?

You do know where the business is going right?

So, essentially, this is another GST. Cost will be passed on to consumers and the pigs in Ottawa will gather at the trough.

Says the guys sucking off the government teet.

A price is not a tax.

And I have a well paying private sector job thank you very much.

Danbones

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 23, 2015
Canada will implement a national policy to charge polluters for emitting carbon dioxide
You emit carbon dioxide when you breath
It's also plant food.
We are going into a historic global cooling cycle because the sun is the driver of climate
as it has been for billions of years

I have a very bad feeling about this:
its too criminal to be stupid

meanwhile real pollution events, like say Fukushima (considered a possible extinction level event) or the dead zone in the gulf of Mexico, or similar, go un dealt with.

Angstrom

Hall of Fame Member
May 8, 2011
Aren't you the guy that praises innovation in capitalism?

You do know where the business is going right?.

Yes, business is going elsewhere in countries where there are no difficult carbon tax costs to navigate and they can spend more money on innovation rather then on red tape.

JamesBondo

House Member
Mar 3, 2012
I've already switched to a gas sipping ****box and my house has a high efficiency furnace so you can go to hell if you think I'm feeling like a polluter that needs to pay taxes to feel better. Nope, you just keep pushing and i'll vote for someone else in the next election.

Angstrom

Hall of Fame Member
May 8, 2011
Not that it really matters, innovative companies have already left Canada for the most part, because of its unfriendliness towards business.