How many Canadians are jailed in Iran? The government won't say

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
First, there was the news that a Canadian professor had been jailed in Iran for what her family believes are allegations of "dabbling in feminism and security matters."

Then came reports a prominent artist, a dual Canadian citizen, had also been detained and questioned, possibly because of his nude artworks. Parviz Tanavoli has told media outlets that his passport has been seized and that he was prevented from leaving the country.

But could there be more? We asked Global Affairs Canada to confirm the total number of Canadians being detained in Iran.

The answer: the department won't say.

In fact, CBC News had to ask a couple of times.

"I should have clarified that for privacy reasons we cannot share this information," said spokesman Austin Jean, when pressed again.

And how does making a number public violate an individual's privacy?

mo

How many Canadians are jailed in Iran? The government won't say - Politics - CBC News

Remington1

Council Member
Jan 30, 2016
Raise your hand if you give a ****? I say, you got out with your life, why go back?? If you 'choose' to go back, then stay and help your people, but don't use my country as a place to crash and use as a charitable organization; F&^ck off, I have no pity for fools.