Province hasn't done enough on racism, Wynne tells meeting

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Racism is the source of black slayings and terrorism from law enforcement.

Premier Kathleen Wynne was met with a mix of jeers and applause when she spoke at the first meeting of the province's new anti-racism panel, which was well-attended by members of Black Lives Matter and various other community groups.

"I get that," she said to the hecklers. "This is not a new conversation and I know that ... systemic racism exists."

But the premier said she hoped those at the meeting would listen to one another with an open mind.

"I believe there are people who would like us to go at each others' throats ... I think there are people who would like to see even this meeting dissolve into anger."

The anti-racism directorate's first consultation focused on systemic racism, including anti-black racism, Islamophobia, anti-indigenous racism and racism experienced by other communities.

The premier agreed to the meeting after several BLMTO protests, including one at Queen's Park in early April and later, during this month's Pride parade.

Wynne said she believes governments haven't gone far enough to create a more equitable society.

"I understand that government institutions have not lived up to that," she said. "Part of doing my job is acknowledging that we haven't done enough."

Province hasn't done enough on racism, Wynne tells meeting - Toronto - CBC News

Angstrom

Hall of Fame Member
May 8, 2011
Racism is the source of black slayings and terrorism from law enforcement.

Premier Kathleen Wynne was met with a mix of jeers and applause when she spoke at the first meeting of the province's new anti-racism panel, which was well-attended by members of Black Lives Matter and various other community groups.

"I get that," she said to the hecklers. "This is not a new conversation and I know that ... systemic racism exists."

But the premier said she hoped those at the meeting would listen to one another with an open mind.

"I believe there are people who would like us to go at each others' throats ... I think there are people who would like to see even this meeting dissolve into anger."

The anti-racism directorate's first consultation focused on systemic racism, including anti-black racism, Islamophobia, anti-indigenous racism and racism experienced by other communities.

The premier agreed to the meeting after several BLMTO protests, including one at Queen's Park in early April and later, during this month's Pride parade.

Wynne said she believes governments haven't gone far enough to create a more equitable society.

"I understand that government institutions have not lived up to that," she said. "Part of doing my job is acknowledging that we haven't done enough."

Province hasn't done enough on racism, Wynne tells meeting - Toronto - CBC News

I bet there will be more racism by the time she's done then when she started.

Remington1

Council Member
Jan 30, 2016
I have no doubt that racism exist everywhere, but from real experience, I can say that the most prejudice I've ever witness personally was between non whites. At work brown against brown ( one told me that the that another brown was from a 'clan' that was rejected in his country.. A clan !! really amazing, but it's real (I checked, I'd never heard that before). One African lady told me she's terrified of some Blacks from Caribbean's islands, when I asked why, she said African blacks are apparently too black. A Sinhalese's house was blown up because he married a Tamil, now that is real discriminationl!! As a white person, I don't see any difference between them at all, they look exactly the same, and rightfully so, they are both Sri Lankan. For myself, a white from Mississauga, or a white form East York, would be the exact same, but not for them!! they know by the name apparently. India is divided by racism, I swear I've never seen such bigotry since I've come in this large diverse city. And we have this tweeting now that this girl wants to kill old white Canadian men now !! yikes!! what is going on!! who are these people and why do they want to do us harm, could it be that we are stupid, accepting assh*&^l in their eyes?

Durry

House Member
May 18, 2010
Canada
Here is how you look after #1;

I took down my Rebel flag (which you CAN'T buy on ebay any more) and
peeled the NRA sticker off the front door.
I disconnected my home alarm system and quit the candy-***
Neighborhood Watch.
I bought two Pakistani flags and put one at each corner of the front
yard. Then I purchased the black flag of ISIS (which you CAN buy on
ebay) and ran it up the flagpole

Now, the local police, sheriff, FBI, CIA, NSA, Homeland Security,
Secret Service and other agencies are all watching my house 24/7.
I've NEVER felt safer and I'm saving $69.95 a month that ADT used to
charge me.

Plus, I bought burkas for my family when we shop or travel. Everyone
moves out of the way and security can't pat us down.
Hot Damn — Safe at last — Ain’t America great or what?

This is NOT racism, this is using what's available to you for your use, good eh