Celebration of country's diversity during Canada Day bash in Ottawa

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Celebration of country's diversity during Canada Day bash in Ottawa

Canadians marked their country's 149th birthday Friday with coast-to-coast celebrations headlined by a big party in Ottawa — where thousands turned Parliament Hill's lawn into a vast expanse of red and white.

The masses, many wearing red T-shirts, face paint and Canadian flags as capes, crowded in front of Centre Block to listen to bagpipers, watch the Snowbirds roar overhead and take in stage performances by numerous artists. Together, they also belted out the national anthem.

They also heard Prime Minister Justin Trudeau deliver his first Canada Day address since winning last year's election.

"Before I get started I have to say, like so many of you here, I've been coming to Parliament Hill since I was a little kid for Canada Day," Trudeau told the crowd from the podium.

"And to be able to stand here before you as your prime minister to say thank you for the trust you have given me is a little bit overwhelming."

Trudeau said Canada is one of the most-diverse countries on the planet and also one of the most prosperous. "And it's not a coincidence," he said.

Trudeau listed examples of what he called "extraordinary diversity," noting how the country has two official languages and that more than 100 other tongues are spoken across the country. He also said his government is renewing its relationships with Aboriginal Peoples all while respecting their ancestral traditions.

Celebration of country's diversity during Canada Day bash in Ottawa - Politics - CBC News

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
I watched the celebration from Ottawa and really enjoyed it. I also thought the addition of the smudging ceremony was a nice touch. Loved all the pomp and pageantry with the Governor General.

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
I watched the celebration from Ottawa and really enjoyed it. I also thought the addition of the smudging ceremony was a nice touch. Loved all the pomp and pageantry with the Governor General.

It was interesting jumping from a ceremony in St.John's where everyone was dressed in black to Ottawa, where it was all cheery red and white. I hope that July 1st is not a day of mourning for the Newfoundlanders forever.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
I went to my local city councillors Canada Day Picnic with my son. Got a free hamburger and a Pepsi. Listened to some bad entertainment and sang O Canada (the real version ... I think. I know I was exceptionally loud on the "all thy son's command" part so I don't know what everybody else was singing ... don't care either). Was going to stay for fireworks but it was really cold and windy (so much so there was a good chance they would be cancelled anyways) so we left early.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
It was interesting jumping from a ceremony in St.John's where everyone was dressed in black to Ottawa, where it was all cheery red and white. I hope that July 1st is not a day of mourning for the Newfoundlanders forever.

It was CC. I watched the ceremony from NFLD too and the contrast was quite apparent. I am glad that the Gov Gen in his address took time to mention the 100 year anniversary of the Battle of the Somme and the all but total massacre of the Royal Newfoundland Regiment.

It may not always be a day of mourning but the sacrifices of so many young men will never be forgotten. It must have been absolutely devastating. Hundreds of families lost their sons, fathers, uncles, and brothers in one day.

I went to my local city councillors Canada Day Picnic with my son. Got a free hamburger and a Pepsi. Listened to some bad entertainment and sang O Canada (the real version ... I think. I know I was exceptionally loud on the "all thy son's command" part so I don't know what everybody else was singing ... don't care either). Was going to stay for fireworks but it was really cold and windy (so much so there was a good chance they would be cancelled anyways) so we left early.

Fireworks were cancelled here too as one of a few roving thunderstorms moved through the area. Lots of lightning making it rather unsafe to be around all the large Firs at the lake where ceremonies were held. I sang O Canada this morning while watching the ceremonies and I too made a point of belting out........all they sons command......stubborn woman that I am. :lol:

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
It was CC. I watched the ceremony from NFLD too and the contrast was quite apparent. I am glad that the Gov Gen in his address took time to mention the 100 year anniversary of the Battle of the Somme and the all but total massacre of the Royal Newfoundland Regiment.

It may not always be a day of mourning but the sacrifices of so many young men will never be forgotten. It must have been absolutely devastating. Hundreds of families lost their sons, fathers, uncles, and brothers in one day.

Fireworks were cancelled here too as one of a few roving thunderstorms moved through the area. Lots of lightning making it rather unsafe to be around all the large Firs at the lake where ceremonies were held. I sang O Canada this morning while watching the ceremonies and I too made a point of belting out........all they sons command......stubborn woman that I am. :lol:

I personally think the wind and the lightning just make the display more exciting. It certainly isn't boring if you think that you might die!

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
fun fact about that stunning OP link:

shiny pony is mentioned by cbc 24 times on the page. 12 alone excluding their video and tweets.

#propaganda