Alberta defends $4.4M summer ad blitz promoting climate change plan

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010

Alberta defends $4.4M summer ad blitz promoting climate change plan

EDMONTON -- Alberta Environment Minister Shannon Phillips says a $4.4-million summer advertising blitz to promote the province's climate-change plan is necessary because of its sweeping impact.

But opposition politicians say the multiplatform campaign confirms the province is desperately selling something the public isn't buying.
Advertisement

Phillips said the climate plan, which includes a multibillion-dollar carbon tax that kicks in Jan. 1., is far-reaching and complex.

"People need to know more about it," Phillips told reporters at the legislature Tuesday.

"We as a government have a responsibility to communicate with Albertans exactly what we are making for changes.

"There are going to be a number of different programs and other initiatives that are moving forward as a result of this."

The campaign is on top of $503,000 spent on a climate change ad rollout last year.

The new one will feature ads online, on TV, on radio, in movie houses, in print and in mailouts over the summer.

The 90-second video clip promises the plan will protect health and the environment while kickstarting the economy.

It has upbeat music along with shots of kayakers, cyclists, mountain goats, wind turbines, horses, puppies, mountain and riverscapes, bears, ducks, scientists, and solar panels.

Phillips dismissed suggestions the ad plan is a bid to change the narrative because the government's message isn't getting through.

"What I've been hearing is that there's a tremendous optimism for diversifying the economy (and) all the new investments that are going to be coming in," she said.

The climate change plan, announced last year by Notley and Phillips, is a multipronged approach to reduce Alberta's carbon footprint and give it more environmental credibility when it pitches for national projects like pipelines to ports.

It will reduce methane emissions, curb oilsands emissions and phase out coal-fired electricity by 2030.

The first part of the climate plan was passed in the spring sitting, giving the province the legal licence to implement the carbon tax.

Gasoline will go up 4.49 cents a litre and natural gas will go up $1.01 gigajoule, raising an estimated $3 billion over 2017 and 2018.

The province estimates the average family will see their costs rise an extra $443 next year, while opposition politicians say the cost will be double that or more.

The money all goes to rebates for middle and low-income earners or is earmarked for green initiatives from transit projects to home retrofits.

Opposition politicians fought to amend the legislation in the spring sitting, saying, among other concerns, that the tax needs to be revenue neutral and the government needs to present studies on the economic impact of the tax.

Those amendments were defeated by Notley's majority government.

Opponents have also argued a broad tax is particularly counterproductive at a time Alberta's economy has hit a wall over low oil prices.
Progressive Conservative Leader Ric McIver said the key sticking point is the fact the government climate plan will slow the rate of greenhouse emissions over the next decade or so, but the actual amount of GHGs will still increase.

"The general public isn't buying this," said McIver.

"Their plan is taking a lot of jobs away from Albertans, taking a lot of money out of the economy, and isn't going to do a blessed thing for the environment," he said.

Wildrose environment critic Todd Loewen agreed.

"It's a huge amount of money and it comes at a time when Albertans are hurting," he said.

"Obviously if Albertans were loving this carbon tax, they wouldn't spend this much money selling it."

http://www.ctvnews.ca/mobile/politi...blitz-promoting-climate-change-plan-1.2955847

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
It's the $444B that is not on the books yet that I'm more concerned about

All spent trying to trim how much oil and gas we use and sell or give away, if you are American.

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
The province estimates the average family will see their costs rise a...

What is an average family?

....The money all goes to rebates for middle and low-income earners.....http://www.ctvnews.ca/mobile/politi...blitz-promoting-climate-change-plan-1.2955847

What is a middle income earner? Wouldn't an "average" family be
in the "middle" income? If so, then how would this cost them anything,
let alone double for the sake of argument between the NDP & their
opposition?

...Opposition politicians fought to amend the legislation in the spring sitting, saying, among other concerns, that the tax needs to be revenue neutral and the government needs to present studies on the economic impact of the tax.

Those amendments were defeated by Notley's majority government....

Wait a second. If "all" the moneys are going to middle & low income
peoples, then how is it not revenue neutral, unless "all" the moneys
means "some" of the moneys?

"The general public isn't buying this," said McIver....

....but....but Math....& Green! Green Math!!!

Durry

House Member
May 18, 2010
Canada
The whole idea of a carbon tax should be to reduce the amount of GHG being emitted to the atmosphere.

Notley has never mentioned the amount of GHGs her plan is reducing, nor the amount of GHGs each component of her plan is reducing (i.e. Which competent is reducing the greatest amount of GHGs). She had never mentioned the relationship between price increases and reduce GHGs.

Her whole plan is a wealth transfer plan under the guise of climate change.

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
...The campaign is on top of $503,000 spent on a climate change ad rollout last year.

The new one will feature ads online, on TV, on radio, in movie houses, in print and in mailouts over the summer.

The 90-second video clip promises the plan will protect health and the environment while kickstarting the economy.

It has upbeat music along with shots of kayakers, cyclists, mountain goats, wind turbines, horses, puppies, mountain and riverscapes, bears, ducks, scientists, and solar panels....

Puppies & solar panels. I don't know....

Mountain goats & scientists? Well, maybe....

Horses & bears & wind turbines & Scientists....I'm feeling swayed...

Mountains & rivers & upbeat music & sweaty people? Fantastical!!!!!

& Ducks too!!! Really? Ducks!! All Right!!! I'm sold!!!

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
You might want to get Colpy to update you on what 'duck' means in the 21st century. Don't say 'what?' just do it is how the memo I got put it. Just saying, . . . .

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
You're advising me of this in light of Alberta's climate tax? Yikes!!!

Thank God for Brad Wall.
You guys building a wall?? Think of the money you will save on surveyors. Nice talking to ya agin there Stranger. Happy trails.

You're advising me of this in light of Alberta's climate tax? Yikes!!!

Thank God for Brad Wall.
'Busting a cap.' will be replaced by 'making a carbon stain'. I feel so cheap suddenly.

The ads have puppies and ducks. Puppies that will on day fetch shot ducks from a slough?
You need water before it is one of those things.