Ottawa revives Harper-era legal arguments to block pensions for injured vets

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
If the serving or past Armed Forces members are looking for friends, they sure as hell won't find many if them among the Liberals. We shoud have found them among the Conservatives but we got conned by flim-flam men, instead.

Johnnny

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2007
Third rock from the Sun
The army accepted my application last March to be sent to Broden for further scrutiny. I crushed the aptitude test and the lady who interviewed me said the personality test made me the kind of guy they want to recruit. She said I qualify for any position and strongly recommended me to go through the final steps to become a member....

I refused to continue because of what I read about how the vets get screwed over... Although I'm still thinking about it

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
Libs do not like Vets.

Neither did the Harper CONS who cut government personnel that slowed the process down. But on the bright side, Canadians pay less tax and were left debt free federally.....

http://forums.canadiancontent.net/c...-conservative-our-government-failing-our.html

Veterans turning to charity due to military pension delays

Kevin Sweeney’s is a tale of a man who suffered from a faceless and troubled bureaucracy, but it is not unique. Canadian Force Ombudsman Gary Walbourne says the military has been working on a 13,000-case pension backlog that has resulted in 1,300 complaints to his office since 2007.

As he waited for his first pension payment on that winter day about a month after his release, a government case manager charged with easing his transition into civilian life referred the 45-year-old veteran, a married father of two, to the Kingston food bank.

The suggestion left him feeling humiliated, but it only foreshadowed the problems ahead as he was forced to wait five months to begin receiving a military pension — a $1,188.91 monthly cheque that he earned during more than a decade of service to the country.

As he waited, it felt like his world was caving in. Sweeney, his wife Lorie and their children were forced to live off of donated gift cards for food and gas; they had a charity paying their mortgage and utilities; and he had to pay out of pocket for the medication that keeps the mental scars of his deployment in check.

“To be honest, it seems like it would have been better had we died over there. Then they could hoist us up as heroes, because in Canada a war hero is somebody who died in combat,” Sweeney said in an interview.

In response to questions from the Star, Walbourne’s office said that the problem appears to be caused by an overloaded and understaffed department within National Defence that is responsible for processing pension applications.

Starting on July 4, the department of public works will take over responsibility for processing military pensions — a development that is intended to modernize the application system and clear up the backlog by December 2017.

Public works has set a goal of ensuring initial pension payments are made to retiring soldiers, sailors and air force personnel within 45 days of receiving all the necessary paperwork, said department spokesman Jean-François Letourneau.

more

https://www.thestar.com/news/canada...o-charity-due-to-military-pension-delays.html

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
Neither did the Harper CONS who cut government personnel that slowed the process down. But on the bright side, Canadians pay less tax and were left debt free federally.....

http://forums.canadiancontent.net/c...-conservative-our-government-failing-our.html

Veterans turning to charity due to military pension delays

Kevin Sweeney’s is a tale of a man who suffered from a faceless and troubled bureaucracy, but it is not unique. Canadian Force Ombudsman Gary Walbourne says the military has been working on a 13,000-case pension backlog that has resulted in 1,300 complaints to his office since 2007.

As he waited for his first pension payment on that winter day about a month after his release, a government case manager charged with easing his transition into civilian life referred the 45-year-old veteran, a married father of two, to the Kingston food bank.

The suggestion left him feeling humiliated, but it only foreshadowed the problems ahead as he was forced to wait five months to begin receiving a military pension — a $1,188.91 monthly cheque that he earned during more than a decade of service to the country.

As he waited, it felt like his world was caving in. Sweeney, his wife Lorie and their children were forced to live off of donated gift cards for food and gas; they had a charity paying their mortgage and utilities; and he had to pay out of pocket for the medication that keeps the mental scars of his deployment in check.

“To be honest, it seems like it would have been better had we died over there. Then they could hoist us up as heroes, because in Canada a war hero is somebody who died in combat,” Sweeney said in an interview.

In response to questions from the Star, Walbourne’s office said that the problem appears to be caused by an overloaded and understaffed department within National Defence that is responsible for processing pension applications.

Starting on July 4, the department of public works will take over responsibility for processing military pensions — a development that is intended to modernize the application system and clear up the backlog by December 2017.

Public works has set a goal of ensuring initial pension payments are made to retiring soldiers, sailors and air force personnel within 45 days of receiving all the necessary paperwork, said department spokesman Jean-François Letourneau.

more

https://www.thestar.com/news/canada...o-charity-due-to-military-pension-delays.html

So getting a job wasn't an option?

Danbones

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 23, 2015
After fighting for the native, and metis, Vetrens' pensions for 40 plus years ( till we actually won) after WW2, all I can say is anyone who expected different more recently is just not paying attention.
You'll notice the people who are supposed to do the paying and don't, always get paid.

Making this a partisan issue when its about CANADIANS is kinda sad too