Youth voter turnout spiked 18% in last federal election

Corduroy

Senate Member
Feb 9, 2011
Vancouver, BC
The number of young Canadians who voted in October increased by an astounding 18 per cent in the last federal election, new data from Elections Canada shows.

The agency released new official figures from the 2015 federal election Wednesday. Overall, voter turnout was a comparatively healthy 68.3 per cent, but it was Canadian voters aged 18 to 24 who showed the most startling increase in numbers.
“The participation of voters aged 18 to 24 increased by 18.3 percentage points to 57.1 per cent (from 38.8 per cent in 2011),” Elections Canada noted.

Voters who were slightly older also turned out in higher numbers at the end of a long often divisive election campaign that lasted most of the summer and early fall. Participation of voters aged 25 to 34 surged by 12.3 percentage points to 57.4 per cent, up from 45 per cent in 2011.

Apathy is Boring, a non-partisan organization that promotes youth engagement in the democratic process, called the numbers “incredible.”

Meanwhile, those aged 65 to 74 continued to have the highest participation rate of all age groups, with close to 80 per cent casting a ballot.

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau openly courted young voters before and during the race using targeted ad campaigns and media interviews to reach out to them on issues such as marijuana legalization, employment, post-secondary education, the environment and LGBTQ rights.

The NDP also made efforts to connect with the same voters on similar issues, and all major parties put additional resources into social media this time around.

One poll conducted in the wake of the Oct. 19 vote suggested that nearly half of young people had voted Liberal, compared with 25 per cent for the NDP and 20 per cent for the Conservatives.
Elections Canada may also have helped boost turnout in the youngest cohort of voters, opening advance polling stations on university campuses and in community centres across the country. More than 70,000 people, mostly youth, registered and voted at those stations.
On-reserve turnout also up

The turnout on Aboriginal reserves across Canada also increased for last fall’s election, Elections Canada revealed Wednesday.
Turnout for registered electors living on reserves was 61.5 per cent, an increase of 14 percentage points over 2011 and almost 20 per cent higher than in 2008.

Youth voter turnout spiked 18% in last federal election - National | Globalnews.ca

-------

Voter turnout up across all age groups. A lot of people were motivated to vote this election, especially young people.

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
I personally know several people in their 30's or 40's voted, who for the first time, simply because of the pot issue!

One guy 60 years old, and he is already legal for medical marijuana!

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Proving that kids are generally more trustworthy than adults these days.

Johnnny

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2007
Third rock from the Sun
I don't doubt you're not lying, but you're still wrong.

yes and no...

Yes that I've seen many people my age vote for the first time in their lives because of the pot issue and no because they aren't the only people of that age group to vote or have voted....

Because my age group didn't decide to all of a sudden vote, because of dope....

Harper did alienate a lot of people and a lot of people did enter politics because of him and to say that only pot heads are the sole reason for the increase, would be taking away from the people who actually did homework...

In my small sample of experience though the pot heads out numbered the self educated....

Corduroy

Senate Member
Feb 9, 2011
Vancouver, BC
yes and no...

Yes that I've seen many people my age vote for the first time in their lives because of the pot issue and no because they aren't the only people of that age group to vote or have voted....

Because my age group didn't decide to all of a sudden vote, because of dope....

Harper did alienate a lot of people and a lot of people did enter politics because of him and to say that only pot heads are the sole reason for the increase, would be taking away from the people who actually did homework...

In my small sample of experience though the pot heads out numbered the self educated....

Stop hanging around so many pot heads then.

Buzz your nurse.

Doesn't that just increase in the morphine?

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
Will be interesting to see if those numbers hold for the next election or if it was a one-off due to the pot issue.

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
Will be interesting to see if those numbers hold for the next election or if it was a one-off due to the pot issue.

If it's legal by the next election, none of them will give a cr@p and doped-induced indifference will send the youth vote plummeting.

Memo to Justin: Promise free Toll House cookies and chocolate milk for all!

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
And all those young people are still waiting for the number one item on their agenda , while the liberals are waffling on their promises . Hence it appears to me that all those young voters will feel disenfranchised and turn away from the whole thing .