Canadian Judge Spotted Wearing Trump Shirt

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
I entered a local grocery store to meet my wife, who had been shopping there. She told me that she had seen a man wearing a Trump t-shirt.

It was when she told me who was wearing the repugnant apparel that I reacted with both shock and outrage: a judge who sits the Ontario Superior Court of Justice, Toni Skarica. (link is external)

The former Ontario Progressive Conservative MPP and Crown prosecutor was appointed to the bench in 2012 by former Justice Minister Rob Nicholson.

Later on in the store, he passed by us, so I took the opportunity to opine in a rather loud voice: "What a disgrace. What kind of person wears a t-shirt like that?"

He ignored my comment, probably seeing it as a badge of honour for so bravely promoting his 'hero.' However, a young woman who heard me said, "It hurts my eyes to look at it."

And the point here is not that someone is promoting a racist and a demagogue - in our open society, that is permitted. What is not permitted, however, is for judges, who are required to be impartial and refrain from politics, among other restriction, to openly trumpet their support.

Here is what the Canadian Superior Court Judges' Association (link is external) has to say about judicial impartiality:
It is not enough for the judiciary, as an institution, to be independent - individual judges must be seen to be objective and impartial. In their personal lives, judges must avoid words, actions or situations that might make them appear to be biased or disrespectful of the laws they are sworn to uphold. They must treat lawyers, clients and witnesses with respect and must refrain from comments that suggest they have made up their minds in advance. Outside the courtroom, judges do not socialize or associate with lawyers or other persons connected with the cases they hear, or they may be accused of favouritism. Judges typically declare a conflict and withdraw from a case that involves relatives or friends. The same is true if the case involves a former client, a member of the judge's former law firm, law partners or a former business associate, at least until a year or two has passed since the judge was appointed and those ties were severed.

Judges often choose to avoid most forms of community involvement. A judge may undertake community or charitable work but cannot offer legal or investment advice. Judges cannot take part in politics, either as a party member, fundraiser or donor, and many choose to relinquish their right to vote. While judges have been more willing in recent years to make public speeches or agree to media interviews, they refrain from expressing opinions on legal issues that could come before them in a future case. Judges are forbidden from being paid to do anything other than their judicial duties, but can accept appointments to serve on royal commissions, inquiries and other official investigations.
Although I am not sure whether that ban on political involvement includes advocating for politicians in other countries, I am certain of the following:

Justice Skarica, through his support of a candidate who has been shown to be a pathological liar, racist and demagogue, has raised very legitimate concerns about his judgement, his character, his values and, ultimately, his fitness to sit on the judiciary. I will be sending a letter of complaint about him tomorrow to the Ontario Court of Justice.

Johnnny

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2007
Third rock from the Sun
Ummm, he is wearing a t-shirt on his own time... Whats the problem?... Unless he is being paid by trump to wear that shirt then there is no problem....

He can express himself freely the same as everyone else cried around....

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
What kind of condescending, a-hole gets this bent out of shape over a t-shirt?

What kind of adult "loudly opines" about someone's t-shirt in the grocery store? That feels more like the work of a passive aggressive moron or catty stuck up tween.

If you're going to condemn someone in their job ( and I don't know the history here, he may well deserve contempt) but if you're going to do that, at least do so about how they are performing in their job.

Or, at the very least, not about a freaking t-shirt!

Who publishes this garbage???

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
Presumably if he had been wearing a bernie t shirt everything would have been fine. Since this is a Canadian judge I wonder just how much influence the leftards think he has in a US election.

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
Ummm, he is wearing a t-shirt on his own time... Whats the problem?... Unless he is being paid by trump to wear that shirt then there is no problem....

He can express himself freely the same as everyone else cried around....

He is an appointed representative of the Crown. If he wants to do it "on his own time", hs can step down fron the bench and go right ahead. He's not a fecking plummer, off the job on Sunday. Our judiciary have no business making political statements of any kind, anywhere, ever, as long as they are sitting. They are the protectors and interpretors of our legal codes and of our constitution. If this story is true and proven, he should be sacked on Monday morning.

Johnnny

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2007
Third rock from the Sun
He is an appointed representative of the Crown. If he wants to do it "on his own time", hs can step down fron the bench and go right ahead. He's not a fecking plummer, off the job on Sunday. Our judiciary have no business making political statements of any kind, anywhere, ever, as long as they are sitting. They are the protectors and interpretors of our legal codes and of our constitution. If this story is true and proven, he should be sacked on Monday morning.

Wearing the shirt alone doesn't show partiality....

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island

SO how much influence do you think this judge has in a foreign election?

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Wearing the shirt alone doesn't show partiality....

Well you know, we are working off the report of someone who makes snide remarks to strangers in the grocery store. So hey, we have to take this all seriously.

Now quick let's lynch this guy. :roll:

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
He is not an ordinary citizen. He has been given extrordinary powers by the Crown. He has no business expressing political opinions, at all.

How do you know he's expressing a political opinion?

Maybe the t-shirt is a joke?

Maybe it's wash day and it's the only thing he has clean?

You're awfully quick to call for his head.

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
Well you know, we are working off the report of someone who makes snide remarks to strangers in the grocery store. So hey, we have to take this all seriously.

Now quick let's lynch this guy. :roll:

...due process .... due process .... THEN we'll lynch 'em!

So judges should not be permitted to vote or belong to political parties then?

They should be allowed to vote but this would be a better world if they were not partisan.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Is it me, or does anyone get the distinct impression the guy in the OP wouldn't have blinked twice if it was a t-shirt with Hillary on it?

Mind you, I find the entire thing asinine, but I'd be willing to bet real money that the above is true.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
I entered a local grocery store to meet my wife, who had been shopping there. She told me that she had seen a man wearing a Trump t-shirt.

It was when she told me who was wearing the repugnant apparel that I reacted with both shock and outrage: a judge who sits the Ontario Superior Court of Justice, Toni Skarica. (link is external)

The former Ontario Progressive Conservative MPP and Crown prosecutor was appointed to the bench in 2012 by former Justice Minister Rob Nicholson.

Later on in the store, he passed by us, so I took the opportunity to opine in a rather loud voice: "What a disgrace. What kind of person wears a t-shirt like that?"

He ignored my comment, probably seeing it as a badge of honour for so bravely promoting his 'hero.' However, a young woman who heard me said, "It hurts my eyes to look at it."

And the point here is not that someone is promoting a racist and a demagogue - in our open society, that is permitted. What is not permitted, however, is for judges, who are required to be impartial and refrain from politics, among other restriction, to openly trumpet their support.

Here is what the Canadian Superior Court Judges' Association (link is external) has to say about judicial impartiality:
It is not enough for the judiciary, as an institution, to be independent - individual judges must be seen to be objective and impartial. In their personal lives, judges must avoid words, actions or situations that might make them appear to be biased or disrespectful of the laws they are sworn to uphold. They must treat lawyers, clients and witnesses with respect and must refrain from comments that suggest they have made up their minds in advance. Outside the courtroom, judges do not socialize or associate with lawyers or other persons connected with the cases they hear, or they may be accused of favouritism. Judges typically declare a conflict and withdraw from a case that involves relatives or friends. The same is true if the case involves a former client, a member of the judge's former law firm, law partners or a former business associate, at least until a year or two has passed since the judge was appointed and those ties were severed.

Judges often choose to avoid most forms of community involvement. A judge may undertake community or charitable work but cannot offer legal or investment advice. Judges cannot take part in politics, either as a party member, fundraiser or donor, and many choose to relinquish their right to vote. While judges have been more willing in recent years to make public speeches or agree to media interviews, they refrain from expressing opinions on legal issues that could come before them in a future case. Judges are forbidden from being paid to do anything other than their judicial duties, but can accept appointments to serve on royal commissions, inquiries and other official investigations.
Although I am not sure whether that ban on political involvement includes advocating for politicians in other countries, I am certain of the following:

Justice Skarica, through his support of a candidate who has been shown to be a pathological liar, racist and demagogue, has raised very legitimate concerns about his judgement, his character, his values and, ultimately, his fitness to sit on the judiciary. I will be sending a letter of complaint about him tomorrow to the Ontario Court of Justice.

Wearing a t-shirt!!!!

Crucify him!

Crucify him!

Are you really this stupid?

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
How do you know he's expressing a political opinion?

Maybe the t-shirt is a joke?

Maybe it's wash day and it's the only thing he has clean?

You're awfully quick to call for his head.

How wuold you feel if his teeshirt had a big, smiling Osama bin Laden on it?

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
How wuold you feel if his teeshirt had a big, smiling Osama bin Laden on it?

bin Laden is a terrorist mass murderer and an enemy of Canada and the west, a man responsible for the murders of at least 24 Canadians, and a man that we went to war against.

Trump is a politician.

Get serious.