Quebec passes law to regulate Uber

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
But THE ECONOMY

It gun asplode!

Quebec passes law to regulate Uber

The province's controversial taxi bill, which would regulate ride-hailing services such as Uber, passed after the Liberal government forced the legislation to a vote, as the last day of the National Assembly session turned into a marathon.

Initially, all sides, including the taxi industry, wanted Bill 100 passed.

The government thought it had reached consensus with all parties on an amendment that would allow Uber ninety days to come up with a pilot project before the law comes into effect.

But today, Québec Solidaire retracted their consent because the party believes the amendment is too vague and would create two classes of taxi drivers.

They believe that is unfair to taxi drivers who hold permits which can cost up to $200,000.

Once Québec Solidaire retracted its consent, the Liberal government said it was forced to invoke a "closure" motion, cutting off debate and forcing the bill to a vote, which passed because the Liberals have a majority.

The opposition accused the government of using an undemocratic tactic.

The new law will require "remunerated passenger transportation services," including UberX, to buy a taxi permit or face stiff fines.

Anyone offering taxi transportation services without holding a permit would face fines of $2,500 to $25,000. The company could be fined up to $50,000.

Quebec passes law to regulate Uber - Montreal - CBC News

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
You're so daft. You got to stop playing with your Clingons. The Liberals control the Quebec National Assembly.

Sorry. I've lived there for half of my life. They are very Nationalistic, Creditiste and rural Quebec is quite fascist. The Liberals no longer control that place.

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
W.T.F. does everything in life have to be tied to a political philosophy, when in fact very little is? People who are mesmerized with Politics 24/7 are missing out on a lot of stuff.

It was irony.

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007
W.T.F. does everything in life have to be tied to a political philosophy, when in fact very little is? People who are mesmerized with Politics 24/7 are missing out on a lot of stuff.
Everything is political.

Sorry. I've lived there for half of my life. They are very Nationalistic, Creditiste and rural Quebec is quite fascist. The Liberals no longer control that place.
The Liberal party is in power in Quebec.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Everything is political.

Yeah, for a small portion of the populace it is but there's many people who go from election day to election day and give it very little thought. Once you understand that almost without exception they are a bunch of liars, cheats and thieves, there's not much among them that is attractive.

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.