Ontario insists Pan Am Games came in under budget, despite auditor's report

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
Lorrie Goldstein Verified account ‏@sunlorrie

The Ontario Liberals truly have no shame: Gov't insists Pan Am Games came in under budget, despite auditor's report

Ontario’s Liberal government still insists last year’s Pan Am Games came in under budget, even though the province’s Auditor-General released a report Wednesday that concludes the event cost an extra $342-million and takes issue with $5.3-million in bonuses paid out to senior staff.

“While the Games unfolded successfully and the legacy of infrastructure remains ... [it came] at significantly higher cost to Ontario taxpayers than originally planned,” Ontario Auditor-General Bonnie Lysyk told reporters Wednesday after releasing her audit of the $2.5-billion event.

There has long been controversy over the $5.3-million in bonuses handed out to 53 senior TO2015 staff by the organization’s board, which was chaired by former Liberal premier David Peterson.

In her audit, Ms. Lysyk says some of the bonus amounts were meant to reward managers for staying within their operating budget. However, even though the event needed a $74-million budget boost from the provincial government in 2014, those bonuses were still paid out in full. And the Ontario government chose not to block TO2015 from cutting those cheques, the audit says, although the government asked the board to “take into consideration” the fact that the event had gone over budget.

Also included in those bonuses were payments for overseeing capital projects that were actually “98 per cent” overseen by Infrastructure Ontario or municipalities, the audit says. Half the bonus amounts were simply meant for completing contracts to the end of the games. All were fully paid, with some worth hundreds of thousands of dollars.

mo

Ontario insists Pan Am Games came in under budget, despite auditor's report - The Globe and Mail

can't lie their way out of this one.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
No, but it doesn't mean they will ever admit the truth and the entire truth. They wove a tangled web ages ago and have now become completely ensnared by their own creation.

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
I took my son to a day of Rugby Sevens competitions (that Canada's men and women both won gold! Yay!) There was all sorts of official Pan Am Games memorabilia for sale in a big, fancy, air conditioned store by the stadium. The prices were outrageouus ... ridiculous! I think tat I remember $30 ball caps, $130 sweat shirts .. that sort of thing. We left with our memories and I'll bet that most of the rest did, as well. I suppose that the organizers thought thst they would a killing on the chachkies and they were literally banking on it. I can see some young marketing genius in my mind"s eye thinking that if you raise the prices on this stuff, you will make more money and that if you raise them a whole lot, you will make pots more. Somewhere in Trona, there is a warehouse piled high with unsellable Pan Am games stuff and they can slap warehousing fees in the "red" column and revise the deficit upwards. Had I not had to mortgage the house to pick up a souvenir or two, I would have kitted out my Rugby playing son wiith all sorts of cool shirts, shorts, etc.

No sale. ... probably times a hundred thousand others who don't like being ripped off.

Jinentonix

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 6, 2015
Olympus Mons
Why do Libtards think that $1 billion for the G8-G20 conference is outlandish but have no problem with $2.5 billion being spent on some third rate, drug riddled athletics competition?