Senate votes to substantially alter assisted dying bill

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Senate votes to substantially alter assisted dying bill

OTTAWA – The Senate voted Wednesday to allow suffering Canadians who are not near death to seek medical help to end their lives, knocking out the central pillar underpinning the federal government’s proposed new law on medically assisted dying.

Senators voted 41-30 to amend Bill C-14, deleting the requirement that a person’s natural death must be “reasonably foreseeable.”

The amendment replaces the eligibility criteria in the bill with the much more permissive criteria set out in last year’s landmark Supreme Court ruling, which struck down the ban on assisted dying.

That sets the Senate on a potential collision course with the government.

Justice Minister Jody Wilson-Raybould signalled earlier Wednesday that the government is unlikely to accept such an amendment.

“We’ve worked incredibly hard on this piece of legislation to ensure that we find the right balance and we’re confident that we’ve found the right balance between recognizing personal autonomy and protecting the vulnerable,” she said outside a Liberal caucus meeting.

“If we were to consider removing reasonable forseeability, that would broaden the regime, the balance that we have struck.”

She added: “There would need to be additional safeguards … This is an incredible and momentous change in our country and we’re confident what we put forward is the right choice for Canada right now. It’s a first step.”

In anticipation of that reaction, the amendment, proposed by Sen. Serge Joyal and passed late Wednesday night, is intended to go hand-in-hand with another amendment, to be proposed by Conservative Senate leader Claude Carignan,

Carignan’s amendment would impose an additional safeguard, requiring a judge to sign off on an application for assisted dying by anyone who is not close to death. It is to be debated and voted upon separately.

The near-death proviso in the bill has been widely condemned by legal and constitutional experts who maintain it renders the legislation unconstitutional and flies in the face of the Supreme Court ruling.

C-14 would allow assisted dying only for consenting adults “in an advanced stage of irreversible decline” from a serious and “incurable” disease, illness or disability and for whom natural death is “reasonably foreseeable.”

That’s more restrictive than the Supreme Court’s directive that medical assistance in dying should be available to clearly consenting, competent adults with “grievous and irremediable” medical conditions that are causing enduring suffering that they find intolerable.

Senators voted for Joyal’s amendment despite a warning from Sen. Peter Harder, the government representative in the upper house, that it “largely guts the bill.”

Joyal and others argued that the amendment was necessary to ensure the bill is constitutional.

“I believe this bill is deeply flawed and I can not support it as it stands because, in my view, it is unconstitutional,” said Sen. James Cowan, leader of independent Liberal senators.

Others cast the amendment in terms of ensuring compassion for those who are suffering intolerably.

Conservative Sen. Linda Frum said she doesn’t believe that Parliament has an obligation to “act as the drafting committee of the Supreme Court.” But she added: “I do believe that there are fates worse than death, such as unbearable and excruciating pain that promises to last for years on end, grievous physical and mental suffering, the loss of human dignity.”

“It’s possible for all of these conditions to exist separately from a reasonably foreseeable death.”

The amendment puts the Senate on the path towards a potential impasse with the House of Commons, which must decide whether to accept or reject any changes proposed by the upper house.

If the Commons rejects the amendment, Carignan has predicting the Senate will “insist” upon it.

There is no mechanism for breaking a deadlock between the two houses of Parliament.

Theoretically, the Senate could repeatedly send the bill back to the Commons with the same amendment, until one chamber or the other gives in.

The two chambers could also agree to hold a “conference” _ a procedure to resolve an impasse that has not been used in some 70 years.

An impasse between the chambers would prolong the time in which Canada is without a criminal law governing medical assistance in dying. When the top court struck down the ban on assisted dying, it gave Parliament a year, later extended by four months, to craft a new law. That deadline passed on Monday.

In the absence of a law, the procedure will be governed by the eligibility criteria spelled out by the Supreme Court, guidelines issued by medical regulators in each province and any rules set by provincial governments.

Senate votes to substantially alter assisted dying bill - Macleans.ca

Corduroy

Senate Member
Feb 9, 2011
Vancouver, BC
The senate actually did something. This is like driving home drunk and not hitting anything along the way. Great job, senate. Now hand over those keys.

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007
The Senate amendment is closer to what the SCOC suggested should be in the suicide bill.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
I think the Liberals did as good a job as possible on assisted dying.

Their delivery, in which they showed their true colours with Motion 6 and assault, was a disaster.....but the Bill itself is as much as one can do.

They are now playing nice, but the jackboots are only hidden for a bit, they'll be back.

Oh, and if they really believe in the Bill, take it back to Parliament, delete the amendment, and invoke "notwithstanding".

I am getting real tired of this country being run by the 9 justices of the Supreme Court.

Real tired.

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Take a nap.

Case in point:

Supreme Court changes definition of ‘bestiality’

Wayyyy over-stepping their bounds.

To say nothing of the fact they have shown they have no respect for real rights, having denied Whatcott (who is nuts, granted) his right to free speech, having failed to protect Linda Gibbons' right to peacefully protest, and having denied Canadians their ancient right to keep arms because....wait for it.....someone denied that right to Indians 140 years ago. etc etc etc.

They are simply counter-productive.

Stick with that.

You have proven yourself incapable of any rebuttal requiring more intellect.

The senate actually did something. This is like driving home drunk and not hitting anything along the way. Great job, senate. Now hand over those keys.

More or less, although the conventional wisdom is the Senate has always responded well to matters of conscience, better than the House.

Mind you, I disagree with their amendment, but I understand their reasoning.

Fear and Loathing: On the Campaign Trail ‘72
By Hunter S. Thompson

This is one of the oldest and most effective tricks in politics. Every hack in the business has used it in times of trouble, and it has even been elevated to the level of political mythology in a story about one of Lyndon Johnson’s early campaigns in Texas. The race was close and Johnson was getting worried. Finally he told his campaign manager to start a massive rumor campaign about his opponent’s life-long habit of enjoying carnal knowledge of his own barnyard sows.

“Christ, we can’t get away with calling him a pig-****er,” the campaign manager protested. “Nobody’s going to believe a thing like that.

“I know,” Johnson replied. “But let’s make the sonofabitch deny it.”

A little relevant comic relief.

Last edited:

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
Apparently the conbots do not like the amendments made by the Senate which are constitutional and respect the Carter case.

Shocking.

I am shocked.

coldstream

on dbl secret probation
Oct 19, 2005
Chillliwack, BC
What a pile of depraved garbage.

The 'assisted murder' bill has highlighted the sheer arrogance and stupidity of the political hacks of these unelected, quasi legislative, 'oversight and interpretive' bodies.. the Senate and the Supreme Court of Canada.. who impose laws on the country without any reference from, accountability to or consultation with people of Canada, or correspondence with the moral foundations of the country.

It was obvious from the start that this a law on euthenasia would be the thin edge of wedge of implementing a widespread program of eradication of those deemed not to have lives worth living.. in essence, the sick, the helpless, those in severe depression, those driven by guilt to avoid imposing emotional distress and cost on loved ones. You cannot negotiate with Evil and you cannot contain it. It will take anything you offer, then demand everything you have.

This is essentially a bill to kill useless eaters.. we have become Nazis.

It is time to dismantle the Senate and retire the pathetic old farts who inhabit it. And to repatriate the Charter of Rights and Freedoms to Parliament as its SOLE interpreter. It needs to be bolstered with a Charter of Responsibilities of Citizenship to counterbalance this nonsense spewing from the cult of radical individualism as this being the only arbiter of individual rights.. .. absent any responsibility to community and country.

Both the SCOC are filled with intellectual and moral mediocrities, political hacks, grasping ideologues.. . whose message to the country is Go to Hell... just leave us our salaries, pensions and expense accounts alone.

Replace the Senate with an elected geographically weighted body if you must, and let the SCOC go back to adjudicating and administering the laws passed by legislatures, as was originally intended. It's the only solution to letting these idiots dismantle the country and impose their tyranny on us.

Last edited:

Corduroy

Senate Member
Feb 9, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Case in point:

To say nothing of the fact they have shown they have no respect for real rights, having denied Whatcott (who is nuts, granted) his right to free speech, having failed to protect Linda Gibbons' right to peacefully protest, and having denied Canadians their ancient right to keep arms because....wait for it.....someone denied that right to Indians 140 years ago. etc etc etc.

Stick with that.

You have proven yourself incapable of any rebuttal requiring more intellect.

More or less, although the conventional wisdom is the Senate has always responded well to matters of conscience, better than the House.

Mind you, I disagree with their amendment, but I understand their reasoning.

A little relevant comic relief.

All those examples are not the Supreme Court running the country. They are examples of the court actually doing its job but making rulings you disagree with it (and I disagree with some of those too, btw). Better examples would have been how the court consistently struck down many of the previous government's law or forcing the government to come up with a new assisted dying bill. The latter is judicial activism at its most flagrant. The former is really because the Conservative government was so awful it couldn't write constitutional laws.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Apparently the conbots do not like the amendments made by the Senate which are constitutional and respect the Carter case.

Shocking.

I am shocked.

Now, as I've said before, recent evidence suggests that the Liberal definition of "assist" involves dragging someone across the floor against their will and over their protests, while elbowing people out of the way and yelling "Get the **** out of the way".

Anyone with a functioning intellect should be scared to death of your "assisted dying" bill.

Seriously though..........the "slippery slope" argument is extremely valid IMHO. As I said, I think the Liberals did a reasonably good job of framing this bill........and I understand the Senate amendment. But I disagree with it. This should be keep as narrow as possible, which the Liberals did........and they should keep it that way.

Unfortunately, what I expect is for the Liberals to adopt the amendment, and then go off crowing about how wonderfully their "new Senate" worked.

Barf.

BTW, "Anyone but Trump" is almost correct........pity the Americans. Il Duce vs The Sewer.

All those examples are not the Supreme Court running the country. They are examples of the court actually doing its job but making rulings you disagree with it (and I disagree with some of those too, btw). Better examples would have been how the court consistently struck down many of the previous government's law or forcing the government to come up with a new assisted dying bill. The latter is judicial activism at its most flagrant. The former is really because the Conservative government was so awful it couldn't write constitutional laws.

Yeah. I completely agree with the courts on mandatory sentencing.

They are not always wrong.

I don't believe we are that far apart on this issue.

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
Don't be such a wuss Colpy.

There won't be anything to worry about if the bill encompasses the Carter case.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
I trust government as much as I believe it. I can see loopholes that develop into ways to be rid of people government doesn't like. The idea behind assisted death is noble. From noble intentions have developed some heartless and hateful policies.

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
And I trust 'regular people' less than I trust politicians but at the end of the day I trust our justice system more than both.

Frankiedoodle

Electoral Member
Aug 21, 2015
Saskatchewan
Finally, the Senate passes a bill that I can stand up and cheer for.
My Mom passed away from breast cancer a year ago. How I wish things could have been different.
How I wish that she could of had a peaceful death rather than one where she ground her teeth down to the nub, so that she didn't scream from pain.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
Being of sound mind and etc, I can no longer bear the excruciating pain of debt, please kill me.

The sound mind and body must be assesed by a certified sound mind. At great cost, hingeing on the rare substance,

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Case in point:

This will surprise no one, but I disagree with your assessment of the Supreme Court's decision.

Bestiality

In Her Majesty the Queen v. D.L.W. (i.e., the bestiality case), the Supreme Court did not change the definition of bestiality; rather, the Court refused to change it. The Court ruled that the definition is well-established as requiring penetration, and it was on this basis that the Government's appeal was rejected, and the defendant's acquittal was thereby upheld.

The Government could easily address this by proposing a bill, in Parliament, that would amend the Criminal Code in s. 160 to more expressly define the term "bestiality." This is not the Court usurping Parliament; this is the Court interpreting legislation, as is their role; Parliament has the freedom and the right to go back to the legislation and to change it.

Free speech

In Her Majesty the Queen in right of Saskatchewan (Human Rights Commission) v. Whatcott, the Court followed Canada's legislative framework. If you disagree with the Court's decision on this case, it is only because you disagree that there should be reasonable limits on rights and freedoms, as per s. 1 of the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms; that is not a judicial issue, but a legislative one.

Peaceful assembly

In Her Majesty the Queen v. Gibbons, the Court upheld that it is a criminal offence to disobey a Court order. That is an absolutely fundamental element of the constitutional order in a society that is founded upon peace, order, and good government; decisions of a Court must be respected and followed, unless they are lawfully overturned. Gibbons refused to follow a court order, and the Court refused to excuse her, on appeal, from that basic duty. This was not about freedom to assemble, but about the rule of law in Canada, and the basic requirement that court orders be followed.