Canada’s Oil industry is making Brad Wall depressed

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Sadface

Canada's oil industry 'in the middle of a battle,' Brad Wall tells Calgary Petroleum Club

Canada's oil industry faces an "existential threat" from a coalition of forces that includes Hollywood stars, proponents of the Leap Manifesto and universities, churches and public pension funds looking to divest from fossil fuels, Saskatchewan Premier Brad Wall told a Calgary business crowd Wednesday.

"That might seem alarmist, or overly dramatic, except that it's not," Wall said in a speech at the Calgary Petroleum Club.

The event was organized by the Explorers and Producers Association of Canada, which advocates for industry-friendly government policy.

"We are in the middle of a battle and, frankly, we haven't been winning very many battles," Wall said. "When I say 'we,' I mean this sector and the resource importance of Western Canada."

Canada's oil industry 'in the middle of a battle,' Brad Wall tells Calgary Petroleum Club - Calgary - CBC News

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
Saskatchewan's Brad Wall warns the oilpatch is under siege by activists

Saskatchewan Premier Brad Wall came to the heart of the oilpatch Wednesday to warn that the energy industry is under “existential threat” from environmental activists.

In a speech to the Explorers and Producers Association of Canada at the Petroleum Club, Wall slammed the idea of a national carbon tax and took aim at both the United States government for rejecting the Keystone XL pipeline and other Canadian provinces for throwing up obstacles to energy transportation projects.

Wall, whose Saskatchewan Party was recently re-elected for a third term, said the energy industry needs defenders against “an ever-growing matrix of activists,” citing proponents of the Leap Manifesto within the NDP and the divestment movement that calls for companies and public bodies to shed their energy holdings.

“Today, there continues an existential threat to this industry, this industry that is so important in my province,” he told an appreciative luncheon crowd.

Saskatchewan's Brad Wall warns the oilpatch is under siege by activists

Johnnny

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2007
Third rock from the Sun
Yes, Australia is getting a carbon tax too.

The Australian government discounts the mining industry in Western Australia (2nd most in the country if memory serves me right) very handsomely, one of which being public utilities such as electricity just so that they can have a competitive edge... The same as British Columbia, which unfortunately didn't make the top 10, id like to have seen more Canadian provinces make the top 10... The reason being that Western Australia can't afford these mines closing because the tax base would be lost and as such there won't be many consumers to pay the carbon tax. Ontario on the other hand just has a terrible provincial government that doesn't facilitate mining all to well....

My question now after thought is how come BC mining isn't top ten with its carbon tax, while Saskatchewan without its carbon tax has maintained such a high position. Is the carbon tax a hindrance?

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
No.

In fact half of the planet is already in a carbon pricing model.

I mean, it's 2016 for crying out loud.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister

Johnnny

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2007
Third rock from the Sun
No.

In fact half of the planet is already in a carbon pricing model.

I mean, it's 2016 for crying out loud.

I'm aware of that so I have nothing but praise for Brad Walls province for instituting excellent policies that complement mining investment. Ontario and British Columbia can learn from what Saskatchewan is doing...