Iraqi army has been 'crushing' ISIS, Canadian general says

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Told you guys ISIS was nothing to worry about.

It turned out to be as bad as Ebola.

Ladder theory vindicated.

Iraqi army has been 'crushing' ISIS, Canadian general says

"They are crushing them in many ways and pushing them back," said Smith, the Canadian chief of staff of the Combined Joint Forces Land Component Command for Operation Inherent Resolve, the U.S.-led coalition whose mission is to help guide Iraq's own forces.

In his first media interview since deploying to Iraq, Smith said he had underestimated the prowess of the Iraqi soldiers.

Much of the Iraq army had collapsed and fled when the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant — variously known as ISIL, ISIS or Daesh — swept through swaths of Iraq in 2014, capturing its second-largest city, Mosul.

And yet when he arrived, it was the militants of ISIS who were on the run, Smith said.

"I have to admit I was very surprised to see how badly they were doing once I got here and started getting read in on operations," he said.

Iraqi army has been 'crushing' ISIS, Canadian general says - World - CBC News

Jinentonix

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 6, 2015
Olympus Mons
Told you guys ISIS was nothing to worry about.

It turned out to be as bad as Ebola.

Ladder theory vindicated.
Have they been defeated yet? No? Looks like your blah blah blah is just that then. You sound like Dubya with his infamous "Mission Accomplished" gaffe.

Johnnny

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2007
Third rock from the Sun
I was never afraid of ISIS and i did meet kids from around Canada who were afraid of them... Having actually dealt with the Yazidis of the Sinjar region and having been very close to the actual battle lines i will have to say that they needed to have the hammer dropped on them... BIG TIME

Having said that the actions ISIS did require an immediate response and the responses in my opinion are/were warranted... Its not over yet, they have affiliates in Libya and Nigeria and the battle is far from over.....

Living in our secluded and protected societies we right now have nothing to worry about, but until we burn out their loose ends we have to remain vigilant in the sense that we are not immune, because being Canadian only works for so long. Its not fear mongering its just being smart about it.

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Have they been defeated yet? No? Looks like your blah blah blah is just that then. You sound like Dubya with his infamous "Mission Accomplished" gaffe.

Except there was no real mission to begin with.

You guys just need to break up with ISIS.

I know it's hard because you love them so much.

Johnnny

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2007
Third rock from the Sun
In the recent wake of the Iraqi Armies victory at Ramada it has been noted on our favourite website the CBS that the battle is far from over.

The main concern is that even since ISIS will never surrender there will not be a clear cut end of hostilities. There is a chance that ISIS will just revert to guerilla style attacks or just straight up move their command to Libya.

Let's hope the Iraqi army keeps its cool when they liberate the areas held by ISIS...

Highball

Council Member
Jan 28, 2010
I'm not familiar with this scene of battle but I have an immediate family member who is a US Adviser who tells me where he is at the Iraqi Army is poorly led and most know that and will run at the drop of a hat.