Gender Neutral Anthem? REALLY?

canuck50

Nov 11, 2011
Beside Ron in Regina
I just saw a clip from Global News about a private member's bill to be debated about changing our National Anthem to a Gender Neutral Anthem. Now I did listen to the article, and when the song was originally written it did not say "in all our sons command" However the article goes on to say it was changed in 1913... Now maybe its just me, but it seems to me it was reworded to HONOUR our soldiers that fought in the first world war. With that being said... This dumb *** in quebec feels that it should be changed back to more of the original wording. Sure.. Lets just do that and look at the people that it was changed for and go piss on their graves... You know who I'm talking about... The soldiers that died in World War 1. Lets just slap them in the face and say, Thanks for coming out, but it appears we have offended someone with our anthem that was changed to HONOUR YOU. I have said it before, and I will say it again, People need to realize that being offeneded is a part of every day life, I'm offended by having to pay for a foot bath in a public university so Muslims can wash their feet. I'm not muslim wtf do I care about them having to wash their feet, tell them to pay for their own damned footbath. I'm offended that idiots like Justin Trudeau can go on to TV and say and I quote, "Canada Made their choice for a Liberal Government". When in fact he should have said it like it truely is, Ontario and Quebed made the choice. Lets really start to realize that I DON'T GIVE A DAMN if I offend someone, Here is a hammer, some nails, some wood... Build a bridge and get over it.

I'm sorry, It appears my give a crap is broken and I am not paying to get it fixed.
Have a great day all.

Last edited:

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
While I think changing the anthem is a stupid waste of time, if it was changed in 1913 that was 1 year prior to WWI so I doubt it was written about vets of that war.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
I just saw a clip from Global News about a private member's bill to be debated about changing our National Anthem to a Gender Neutral Anthem. Now I did listen to the article, and when the song was originally written it did not say "in all our sons command" However the article goes on to say it was changed in 1913... Now maybe its just me, but it seems to me it was reworded to HONOUR our soldiers that fought in the first world war.
Very prescient of the Canadians to change the wording in 1913 to honor those who fought in a war that wouldn't start until the following year.

canuck50

Nov 11, 2011
Beside Ron in Regina

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Well let's see, why not.... Change that, now people will be offended that the Canadian Flag depicts a Maple Leaf... now all the tree huggers will want it changed. Etc. You don't see how ludicrous this is getting? People need to quit telling us they are offended by something and expecting us to care.
OK, you first. Spare us your moaning about how people wanting to change the anthem offends you.

Ain't like we care or anything.

canuck50

Nov 11, 2011
Beside Ron in Regina
I don't dispute that women have made great contributions to Canada. I just think that I'm sure the MULTI BILLION dollar deficit our country is facing can be better spent on things like say HOMELESS VETERANS (men and women alike), HEALTH CARE, EDUCATION.

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I don't dispute that women have made great contributions to Canada. I just think that I'm sure the MULTI BILLION dollar deficit our country is facing can be better spent on things like say HOMELESS VETERANS (men and women alike), HEALTH CARE, EDUCATION.

This argument has been had before.

The argument about government finances and productivity is a red herring designed to cover up thinly-veiled opposition to equitable treatment of people of all genders. Bill C-210, An Act to amend the National Anthem (gender), would cost nothing to implement; and, in fact, a private member's bill cannot force the Government to incur costs without a recommendation from the Governor General, on the advice of a minister, and this has not happened.

The Standing Orders of the House of Commons set aside time for considering private members' business; that time cannot be used for Government business (such as bills to invest money in housing-insecure veterans, health care, or education). That one hour, on each day, is always going to be dedicated to expense-free private member's bills, like C-210, whether this particular bill was proposed or not. So let us stop pretending that your opposition to the bill is about prioritizing Government business, and concern for the public purse, and acknowledge instead that your opposition is to the substance of the bill: that you think that we should perpetuate the idea that men have played a more important role in building this country than women.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
Why don't we all have a unique version of a national anthem scripted for each and every person - but the tune must remain. It would sure make opening ceremonies interesting at the local hockey palace....

Funny how the Anthem was originally penned in French - and that version remains the same today....

Remington1

Council Member
Jan 30, 2016
What the hell for!! who cares!! Is this another 'because we are 2016' hippie "Make love, not war" saying ! Why are we paying these people in Ottawa? To spend months thinking and come up with this great idea??

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
Leave it the fu ck alone.

and Paradox, the HoC can use that time to debate a bill that is worth debating and considering. Not this feel good dribble that is only being put up for a very small minority of whiners.