Mississauga gives Uber one week to shut down

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010

Mississauga gives Uber one week to shut down

Uber and other ride-sharing companies have until this coming Wednesday to shut down operations in Mississauga or else the city will pull the plug on a proposed pilot program to allow such businesses to compete with traditional taxis.

“They responded, which I felt was a sign of progress and a show of good will,” said Mayor Bonnie Crombie, after Wednesday’s council meeting, referring to a letter from Uber to the city indicating the company wishes to cooperate.

Last week council banned all ride-sharing companies from operating unless they follow the same rules as traditional taxis, but left the door open with the possibility of new rules to be worked out under the pilot program.

Councillor Carolyn Parrish, who does not want any transportation businesses picking up passengers in the city unless they follow the exact same rules as taxis, said the pilot should be killed.

“I don’t like Uber, I don’t want them.” Parrish said that a motion passed last week stated clearly that all ride-sharing companies were directed to cease operation with the passage of the council resolution, before a pilot were to proceed. Since Uber has failed to do so, and continues to operate, she said Wednesday that plans for the pilot should be scrapped.

https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2016/05/18/mississauga-gives-uber-one-week-to-shut-down.html

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
Clearly someone on council has a vested interest in taxi licenses keeping their resale value. Pretty much all other transoprtation has been deregulated without the disaster predicted by the gloom and doomers.