Ontario passes cap-and-trade legislation

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Finally.

Ontario passes cap-and-trade legislation

TORONTO — Ontario has passed legislation creating a cap-and-trade system to fight climate change, which the government predicts will add $5 a month to home heating bills and 4.3 cents to the price of a litre of gasoline, or $8 a month on average.

"The costs, according to our economists, are $13 a month, and that's before we consider any of the investments," said Environment Minister Glen Murray.

"So if you're buying an electric vehicle or home heating and cooling system or new energy systems that we'll be helping subsidize, that will lower those costs."

Under cap and trade, industries are given specific pollution limits, but can sell their emission allowances to other companies if they come in below their annual limit, or buy credits if they exceed it.

The province plans to hold its first auction of pollution credits in early 2017, and expects to raise $1.9 billion a year from the plan, promising to use the money to help people and companies transition to a low carbon economy.

The Chamber of Commerce urged the Liberals to delay implementation of cap and trade for one year.

"We need to think about striking a balance between leading, driving and shaping, and not getting so far ahead of our competitors that we just get too far ahead," Chamber president Allan O'Dette said in an interview Wednesday. "If we get so far out and we lose our competitive advantage, we need to be mindful of that."

The Progressive Conservatives support the idea of putting a price on carbon to reduce greenhouse gas emissions, but say it should be revenue neutral, and claim the Liberals will use the money generated to balance the books.

http://m.thespec.com/news-story/6560272-ontario-passes-cap-and-trade-legislation

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
The Progressive Conservatives support the idea of putting a price on carbon to reduce greenhouse gas emissions, but say it should be revenue neutral, and claim the Liberals will use the money generated to balance the books.http://m.thespec.com/news-story/6560272-ontario-passes-cap-and-trade-legislation

Flossy, I believed you highlighted the wrong part of the sentence. I fixed it for you. This is a true statement. It is a new tax grab.

When does the price of gas go up? Should I fill up my tank today?

JamesBondo

House Member
Mar 3, 2012
So basically, ecoidiots that buy an electric car instead of a bus pass are officially a burden to taxpayers.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
So basically, ecoidiots that buy an electric car instead of a bus pass are officially a burden to taxpayers.

Stop picking on the ecophiles... Pretty soon there will be legislation from shiny pony that prohibits discrimination against intelligence-neutral persons and without a doubt, the eco-trigger set will be the poster child for those that opt for intellect-neutral status

Sunny Ways

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
When does the price of gas go up? Should I fill up my tank today?
Get a couple jerrycans or slip tank and buy your gas out of Province like those in southern and eastern BC do.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
4.3 cents a ltr. I use around 400L a month. That would be a substantial increase in expense just to go to work to pay taxes.If this applies to commercial fuel as well expect a noticeable increase in the price of food and well everything. Should really give Ontario manufacturing a competitive edge.

Angstrom

Hall of Fame Member
May 8, 2011
I'm interested to see what will happen next election now. I always assumed the liberals where elected on a pro Union mandate in Ontario. Not a pro environment agenda.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
4.3 cents a ltr. I use around 400L a month. That would be a substantial increase in expense just to go to work to pay taxes.If this applies to commercial fuel as well expect a noticeable increase in the price of food and well everything. Should really give Ontario manufacturing a competitive edge.

Didnt you know mnufacturing doesn't require logistics and carbon taxes are a benefit.

I can buy BC fruit in SK for 20% cheaper than I can in BC.

That is a benefit of carbon taxation.