Conservatives begin to accept carbon pricing and climate change

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Those Eco fascists :lol:

‘There’s a new Canada rising’: Conservative leadership hopeful Michael Chong selling fresh policies

Chong’s policy focus will be on the economy, environment and democratic reform, including progressive policies that might rankle true-blue Conservatives.

He endorses carbon pricing *— something many Conservatives label as an unwelcome “carbon tax” — and believes the revenues raised from a levy on carbon dioxide should be used to lower personal and corporate income taxes. Doing so will reduce greenhouse gas emissions, and lead to wage and productivity growth, he said.

It’s part of a broader set of environmental and tax reforms, he said, that should see more focus on taxing consumption than income.

‘There’s a new Canada rising’: Conservative leadership hopeful Michael Chong selling fresh policies

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
scrotumfloss always misses those massive details. Sometimes I think it's on purpose but then I realize who it is and I feel it would be giving him credit he doesn't deserve.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
One thing Stephan Dion's carbon pricing plan had -- if you believed what was being sold -- was a compensating income tax decrease to match the carbon tax increase. It was revenue neutral. Sounds like this guy is taking the same approach. The current ecotard Lieberals are using the carbon tax as a revenue source to mask their own economic incompetence.

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007
One thing Stephan Dion's carbon pricing plan had -- if you believed what was being sold -- was a compensating income tax decrease to match the carbon tax increase. It was revenue neutral. Sounds like this guy is taking the same approach. The current ecotard Lieberals are using the carbon tax as a revenue source to mask their own economic incompetence.
Whenever you hear a pol saying, "It will be revenue neutral." think, "It's gonna cost me a lot more in taxes."

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister

Revenue Neutral makes no sense in any way, shape or form... It is the gubmint (at best) picking winners and losers, or (at worst) an alternate revenue stream in the form of a new tax that will require a new dept be formed to administer and manage the tax.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
Revenue Neutral makes no sense in any way, shape or form... It is the gubmint (at best) picking winners and losers, or (at worst) an alternate revenue stream in the form of a new tax that will require a new dept be formed to administer and manage the tax.

In theory, if one did it right revenue neutral is possible. You would decrease your income tax revenue by X and increase your carbon tax revenue by Y where X = Y. However, it doesn't work because: A) politicians have no idea what X & Y will be and B) they can't be trusted to actually reduce the taxes for X.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
"This tunnel will be a bargain!" ~ Democrat Sen. John Kerry on Boston's Big Dig.

Estimated Cost- $2.8 Billion

Actual Cost- $14.6 Billion

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
In theory, if one did it right revenue neutral is possible. You would decrease your income tax revenue by X and increase your carbon tax revenue by Y where X = Y. However, it doesn't work because: A) politicians have no idea what X & Y will be and B) they can't be trusted to actually reduce the taxes for X.

I couldn't agree more, although I will add that the theoretical calculation, in terms of experience with gvt, is far too efficient and simplistic to actually apply to gvt.

Without an overly complicated equation, gvt can't skim-off the cash to fund the various hobby horses they have

"This tunnel will be a bargain!" ~ Democrat Sen. John Kerry on Boston's Big Dig.

Estimated Cost- $2.8 Billion

Actual Cost- $14.6 Billion

At only 5X over budget, it is in fact a bargain for a gvt funded project

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
No real conservative is into "carbon pricing".

Except all of the provincial Conservative leaders and one running to become the PM of Canada.

You guys are in for a long, rocky ride but there is a light at the end of the tunnel. :lol:

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
Except all of the provincial Conservative leaders and one running to become the PM of Canada.

You guys are in for a long, rocky ride but there is a light at the end of the tunnel. :lol:

There is a saying that comes to mind. "Sometimes the light at the end of the tunnel is the approaching freight train."