Justin Trudeau announces transgender rights legislation: 'We can and should do more'

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Good for him.

This is the Canada we were supposed to be.

Justin Trudeau announces transgender rights legislation: 'We can and should do more'

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau announced in Montreal federal legislation about to be tabled, which will guarantee legal and human rights protection to transgender people across Canada.

"We have worked too hard for us to stop here," Trudeau said. "Too hard to stop with the progress we have made because I sincerely believe that in Canada we can and we should do more."

Trudeau made the announcement after he received the Laurent McCutcheon Award, named after the pioneer in the fight against homophobia who served as president of the Montreal hotline Gai Écoute from 1982 until 2013.

The award highlights Trudeau's continued support for lesbian, gay, transgender and bisexual individuals in Quebec and across Canada.

"I believe in a Canada where men can give blood, regardless of their sexual orientation," Trudeau said. "Where transgender people are protected by the law."

"A Canada where all prime ministers are proud to walk with the LGBT community during gay pride parades."

The bill aimed at safeguarding transgender Canadians is to be tabled in the House of Commons on May 17, the International Day against Homophobia, Transphobia and Biphobia.

"We must carry on the legacy of those who fought for justice by being bold and ambitious in our actions," Trudeau said. "And we must work diligently to close the gap between our principles and reality."

The details of the proposed legislation have not yet been revealed.

Last week, a spokesperson for federal Justice Minister Jody Wilson-Raybould hinted "legislation will be coming forward very shortly".

In his mandate letter, Trudeau asked Wilson-Raybould to make it a priority to introduce legislation "to add gender identity as a prohibited ground for discrimination under the Canadian Human Rights Act, and to the list of distinguishing characteristics of 'identifiable group' protected by the hate speech provisions of the Criminal Code."

Justin Trudeau announces transgender rights legislation: 'We can and should do more' - Montreal - CBC News

JamesBondo

House Member
Mar 3, 2012
Some women will never feel equal if they are forced to use the stall next to mentalfloss while he is taking a crap.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
I agree with this legislation but I am thinking its just a political stunt. I would be highly surprised if transgender rights were not already covered by the current charter of human rights and freedoms.

Murphy

Executive Branch Member
Apr 12, 2013
Ontario
And what of us, the truly disadvantaged?

Should I choose to wish that I was transgendered, and/or be treated as if I was transgendered, or dream of it, but remain who I am physically, is my wish not in itself a right, and should therefore be protected?

I refer you to a Disney classic, sung by Jiminy Cricket, "When You Wish Upon a Star".

When You Wish Upon a Star

When you wish upon a star
Makes no difference who you are
Anything your heart desires
Will come to you.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=EnqgROXTSFw

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
And here we go. :lol:

The Trudeau government is marking International Day Against Homophobia, Transphobia and Biphobia by introducing federal legislation that would guarantee legal and human rights protection to transgender people across Canada.

"To do its part, the government of Canada today will introduce legislation that will help ensure transgender and other gender-diverse people can live according to their gender identity, free from discrimination, and protected from hate propaganda and hate crimes," Prime Minister Justin Trudeau said in a written statement.

Justice Minister Jody-Wilson Raybould is making the announcement on Parliament Hill in Ottawa today.

Transgender Canadians would have equal rights under Liberal bill - Politics - CBC News

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
And here we go. :lol:

The Trudeau government is marking International Day Against Homophobia, Transphobia and Biphobia by introducing federal legislation that would guarantee legal and human rights protection to transgender people across Canada.

"To do its part, the government of Canada today will introduce legislation that will help ensure transgender and other gender-diverse people can live according to their gender identity, free from discrimination, and protected from hate propaganda and hate crimes," Prime Minister Justin Trudeau said in a written statement.

Justice Minister Jody-Wilson Raybould is making the announcement on Parliament Hill in Ottawa today.

Transgender Canadians would have equal rights under Liberal bill - Politics - CBC News

Again:

I agree with this legislation but I am thinking its just a political stunt. I would be highly surprised if transgender rights were not already covered by the current charter of human rights and freedoms.

Murphy

Executive Branch Member
Apr 12, 2013
Ontario
Thank goodness. This will be millions of tax dollars well spent to help understand things that make you feel icky.

And if that ain't a song cue, I don't what is!

www.youtube.com/watch?v=J2NO4yX3Hsw

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
Trudeau had asked Wilson-Raybould to make it a priority to introduce legislation "to add gender identity as a prohibited ground for discrimination under the Canadian Human Rights Act, and to the list of distinguishing characteristics of 'identifiable group' protected by the hate speech provisions of the Criminal Code."

Other proposals put forth by Opposition MPs twice passed the House of Commons, only to be defeated in the Senate.

Transgender Canadians should 'feel free and safe' to be themselves under new Liberal bill - Politics - CBC News

I don't see any redundancy here as they've been excluded from hate speech provisions until now.

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
Trudeau had asked Wilson-Raybould to make it a priority to introduce legislation "to add gender identity as a prohibited ground for discrimination under the Canadian Human Rights Act, and to the list of distinguishing characteristics of 'identifiable group' protected by the hate speech provisions of the Criminal Code."

Other proposals put forth by Opposition MPs twice passed the House of Commons, only to be defeated in the Senate.

Transgender Canadians should 'feel free and safe' to be themselves under new Liberal bill - Politics - CBC News

I don't see any redundancy here as they've been excluded from hate speech provisions until now.
Well I think every one should have special consideration under hate speech laws .
Can we not make a separate statute protecting white male conservatives also ?

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
One thing about public showers, the ones that need watching 'stand out in a crowd' so to speak. Who is going to be the first dad to shower with his daughter and claim he is just protecting her from predators.

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
More of flossy's