liberals follow-up on Conservative recall bill

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
heh

The federal Liberals are moving to crack down on car companies and manufacturers and legally compel them to recall broken parts and vehicles.

The government is proposing changes to the vehicle safety laws that would give it the power to order companies to recall vehicles and do the repairs at no cost to consumers.

The government would levy fines against companies that violate the new rules, on a sliding scale.

Right now, the government can only name and shame companies that are subject to a recall notice.

The bill is the first the Liberals have introduced in the Senate, chalking the move to the volume of legislation before the House of Commons.

However, the government has no senators and no levers to move the bill through the chamber should it stall.

The Conservatives introduced similar legislation in early June of last year, which wasn’t enough time to debate the bill before the summer recess that ultimately led to the fall election.

That bill, had it passed, would have given the government the power to impose limitless fines on companies that don’t comply with a recall order.

Liberals look to force car makers to recall vehicles, and fine those that don't - 680 NEWS

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
Maybe GM got wind of that bill because lo and behold what did I get in the mail a couple of months ago but a recall notice for an airbag in my Saturn - apparently "the driver airbag inflator may experience an alteration over time, which could lead to over aggressive combustion in the event of an air bag deployment." This is not a good thing as they finish the explanation with "in the event of an inflator rupture, metal fragments could pass through the air bag cushion material, which may result in injury or death to vehicles occupants."

Unfortunately, they don't have the parts and don't know when they will have them. Nice of them to let me know my bag is a potential hazard though. I like to drive fast and out here you can go 40 or 50 ks without seeing another vehicle. All I have to watch out for is the wildlife. Right after I received the notice, I tapered off a bit but it didn't take long till I was right back to channeling Gilles Villeneuve.