Obama to address Parliament in June

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
White House and Canadian officials are eyeing June 29 or 30 as the date for U.S. President Barack Obama's address to a joint session of Parliament, CBC News has learned.

Obama had promised to visit Canada during Prime Minister Justin Trudeau's trip to Washington in March for a state dinner, and now Mexican President Enrique Pena Nieto is also expected to be in Ottawa for a Three Amigos summit that will immediately precede Obama's address.

Gov.-Gen. David Johnston will host Nieto at an official state dinner, which will be followed by an event in his honour at the National Art Gallery.

The meeting would be the first between Canada, the U.S. and Mexico in more than 2½ years.

Parliamentarians will also have to stay in Ottawa longer than previously thought to hear Obama's speech, as the House of Commons was expected to rise for summer break on June 9. The last U.S. president to address a joint session of Parliament was Bill Clinton in 1995.

Barack Obama to address Canadian Parliament in late June - Politics - CBC News

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007
Justine and BHO together in the same room and not a neuron between them.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Well Justin is beholden to Obama now. If it wasn't for the Obama's operatives taking over Trudeau's campaign and pushing Canadians to the side the results may have been different.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Obama is addressing a joint session of the Canadian Parliament. By chance is Justin going to address a joint session the US Congress? LMAO

Well Obama needed a lap dog and he has found one in Justin.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Don't you all have a warm and fuzzy feeling that Obama is going to have a talk with you all?

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State
Obama has about as much business being there as he did in the UK. That means none at all.

Get the job finished in Washington DC then worry about what the hell is going on elsewhere.

Ludlow

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 7, 2014
wherever i sit down my ars
Obama has about as much business being there as he did in the UK. That means none at all.

Get the job finished in Washington DC then worry about what the hell is going on elsewhere.
I agree Gopher. Really, all Obama is concerned with is his legacy.

Which is pretty much in staying with tradition.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
I'm very looking forward to pres Obama coming to Ottawa, I will be listening.

trudeau went to Washington, its nice that Obama come to Canada.

I have none of the opinions of the above posters, but opinion is free, so be it.

I have always respected and admired him during the last 8 years, and it is good that

we can hear him speak in our country as his presidency nears the end.

he is a very well spoken classy and very intelligent man, with a great sense of humour,
something we certainly won't be hearing if

trump moves into the white house, so I will enjoy the few months left for Obama.

welcome to Canada pres. Obama

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
In a reciprocal move, Canadian Prime Minister Justin Hussein Trudeaubama will travel to Washington and take a selfie in front of the U.S. Capitol.

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Unlike the majority in Canada, most Yanks won't care what Trudeau has to say. While like Obama he is free to do as he wishes, I'm sure some critics will say that getting his job done in Ottawa is to take priority.

The Supreme Court vacancy needs to be filled and there are other concerns for Obama to take care of. Once done, then afterwards he is free to visit Ottawa at his own expense as far as I am concerned.

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
Unlike the majority in Canada, most Yanks won't care what Trudeau has to say. While like Obama he is free to do as he wishes, I'm sure some critics will say that getting his job done in Ottawa is to take priority.

The Supreme Court vacancy needs to be filled and there are other concerns for Obama to take care of. Once done, then afterwards he is free to visit Ottawa at his own expense as far as I am concerned.
But he I a lame duck at this point .

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
But he I a lame duck at this point .

All the more reason for him to finish the business he started rather than by going overseas to improve his image there. He remains more popular overseas so that there is no reason for him to be playing up to anyone. True his popularity ratings remain high at home but he still needs to finish the job.

JamesBondo

House Member
Mar 3, 2012
I wonder if he will have to present two pieces of ID to a customs agent.....maybe we will finally get to see his birth certificate.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
All the more reason for him to finish the business he started rather than by going overseas to improve his image there. He remains more popular overseas so that there is no reason for him to be playing up to anyone. True his popularity ratings remain high at home but he still needs to finish the job.

delusional