Mischief vs. Freedom of Speech?

canuck50

Nov 11, 2011
Beside Ron in Regina
Charge laid after Pride flag burned during annual LGBTQ celebration at UBC

VANCOUVER — A charge of mischief under $5,000 has been laid following the burning of a rainbow Pride flag at the University of British Columbia.
Court documents show Brooklyn Marie Fink was charged last Monday in connection with the Feb. 6 incident at the Point Grey campus.
Fink is slated to appear in provincial court in Richmond on Tuesday.
The flag burning sparked outrage in February, during the university’s annual OUTweek celebrating gender and sexual diversity.
University officials condemned the vandalism as an act of hate violating the school’s deeply held values of equity, inclusion and respect.
Concern for participants’ safety prompted OUTweek organizers to cancel a march just days after the burning, but other events went ahead as planned and no further violence occurred.

After reading this I was PISSED to no end. Here is my bitch...... Its okay for immigrants to burn the Canadian Flag and its viewed as freedom of speech... when a Gay Pride flag is burned... Its an act of Mischief, hate.... WTF.... Talk about double standards. I don't agree with this one bit. All too often we let these things snowball when one person practices their RIGHT to freedom of speech, They are charged for being open about their beliefs. I guess its okay for immigrants to burn the flag of the country that accepted them but now if anyone else has a problem... We have to keep it to oneself. Just the way I see it. Feel free to share your thoughts. Don't shoot the messenger...

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
...... Its okay for immigrants to burn the Canadian Flag and its viewed as freedom of speech...

I'm trying and trying to remember a single instance of an immigrant burning a Canadian flag. In fact THE ONLY occasion that I have seen a Canadian flag burned in my fifty nine years and eleven months was by First Nations protesters who who were none too thrilled with us.

What immigrants? Where? When? How did I miss that? Most immigrants are very grateful to be there.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
One clarification: was the flag he burned his own or somebody else's? If somebody else's, then it is mischief or vandalism. If not, there should be no change (unless he was doing it an unsafe location like a gas station or something). Same penalty or lack thereof if a Canadian flag was burned (with identical ownership and location).

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
Looks like a Burqa that woman is wearing...;-)