Premier Brad Wall says Saskatchewan deficit will be higher than forecast

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
It's probably nothing.

Premier Brad Wall says Saskatchewan deficit will be higher than forecast

REGINA — Saskatchewan Premier Brad Wall says the deficit in the upcoming provincial budget could be higher than initially forecast.

The government was hoping to get the deficit down to about $260 million in the budget that is to be tabled June 1.
"I think it's going to be higher than that," Wall said Friday at the legislature.

"We haven't gone through the (finalization) process yet, but because of the softening in revenue, significant softening in resource revenue, we might be looking at a higher deficit than what we originally forecast at third-quarter for next year's budget."

In February, Finance Minister Kevin Doherty delivered the update for the third-quarter of the 2015-16 fiscal year.

At that time, Doherty said the province was expecting a $427-million deficit and aiming for a $259-million deficit in the 2016-17 budget coming in June.

But lower resource prices have hit hard.

"There has been a softening in potash prices ... in terms of the forecast. There's no expectation of strengthening uranium prices," said Wall.

"And we've seen with oil that there's been some gain, but it's been outstripped by an increase in the value of the Canadian dollar. Saskatchewan people will know that our exports are valued in Canadian dollars and so this is going to be problematic as well. The dollar's gone up faster than (and) with greater intensity than the price of oil, and so...the usual offset is not there."

However, the premier pointed out the deficit won't be "nearly the scale" of deficits seen in Alberta or Newfoundland and Labrador.

The two provinces, which tabled their budgets last week, are both facing huge budgetary holes where oil and gas revenues used to be.

Newfoundland and Labrador's budget included numerous tax and fee increases, as well as a deficit-fighting levy of up to $900 a year for top earners.

"They had to make those decisions based on their own realities. I don't expect that to be the case here at all," said Wall.

The premier still believes the province will get back to a balanced budget by 2017-2018.

The premier also said he hopes this is the bottom of commodity prices and noted that oil is slowly starting to move away from lows hovering around US$30 a barrel. The June contract for benchmark crude rose 57 cents to US$43.75 a barrel Friday.

"We should have an expectation and an optimism that we're going to see prices move forward, move upward steadily — maybe not as quickly as we'd like — but steadily."

Premier Brad Wall says Saskatchewan deficit will be higher than forecast | National Newswatch

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
meh, oil doing ok, potash down, sh!tty dollar...dems da breaks.

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
He has a long way to go before he is as bad as Wynn or Trudeau.

Always enjoy your hypocrisy MF.

The hypocrisy of reporting the obvious?

I mean it's no where near as bad as Alberta, but it's still a bad time to be in oil right now.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
The hypocrisy of reporting the obvious?

I mean it's no where near as bad as Alberta, but it's still a bad time to be in oil right now.

When Wynn runs up record deficits, you seem strangely silent. When Wall does, even though it is obvious why, you are posting like crazy.

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
When Wynn runs up record deficits, you seem strangely silent. When Wall does, even though it is obvious why, you are posting like crazy.

That's in the hopes that with enough rigorous reminder, that one day, conbots realize how ridiculous it is to get upset about deficits.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
What gets me is some howl about Notley and yet the Tories is Saskatchewan
are high in deficit ink. I am not complaining about Saskatchewan either just
saying Right now Alberta and Saskatchewan are in trouble due to resource
revenues buts it should be noted both provinces are experiencing difficulty
Remember Alberta inherited a pile of debt when the new government came to
office. I understand the Federal approach too the real problem is we could end
up in a depression if we don't keep things afloat not to mention interests rates
are low and its a good time for infrastructure improvements as well

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa
As far as deficits go this looks like its a pretty small one in the grand scheme of things. If I lived in Saskatchewan I wouldnt be too concerned.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Price of uranium has been dropping for the last few days. But hey who cares what their deficit will be, right? Those budgets just balance themselves anyways

No biggie since it goes for mega projects rather than social programs and whirlygigs.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
What gets me is some howl about Notley and yet the Tories is Saskatchewan
are high in deficit ink. I am not complaining about Saskatchewan either just
saying Right now Alberta and Saskatchewan are in trouble due to resource
revenues buts it should be noted both provinces are experiencing difficulty
Remember Alberta inherited a pile of debt when the new government came to
office. I understand the Federal approach too the real problem is we could end
up in a depression if we don't keep things afloat not to mention interests rates
are low and its a good time for infrastructure improvements as well

Nope, they inherited a significant cash surplus.

Alberta NDP inherits more than $1-billion surplus from last budget - The Globe and Mail

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
Show a profit and you have to ship more cash east in the equalization payments. Now is the time to overspend rather than under spend.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
Show a profit and you have to ship more cash east in the equalization payments. Now is the time to overspend rather than under spend.

You have no idea how the equalization works or where the money comes from, do you.