Duffy found not guilty of charges of fraud, breach of trust

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Welp.

Judge in Mike Duffy trial dismisses 8 charges of fraud, breach of trust

An Ottawa judge has found Senator Mike Duffy not guilty of eight charges of fraud and breach of trust related to living and travel expense claims, the first rulings in a 308-page decision.

Justice Charles Vallaincourt began delivering his decisions on 31 criminal charges against Duffy earlier Thursday morning.

Vallaincourt started his judgment summary by declaring Duffy is an "overall credible witness."

He said the Crown limited its cross-examination of Duffy after his many hours of witness testimony, leaving much of that testimony unchallenged.

Judge in Mike Duffy trial dismisses 8 charges of fraud, breach of trust - Politics - CBC News

***UPDATE - 12 charges dismissed, 19 to go

Last edited:

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Re: Duffy found not guilty of 8 charges of fraud, breach of trust

Welp.

Judge in Mike Duffy trial dismisses 8 charges of fraud, breach of trust

An Ottawa judge has found Senator Mike Duffy not guilty of eight charges of fraud and breach of trust related to living and travel expense claims, the first rulings in a 308-page decision.

Justice Charles Vallaincourt began delivering his decisions on 31 criminal charges against Duffy earlier Thursday morning.

Vallaincourt started his judgment summary by declaring Duffy is an "overall credible witness."

He said the Crown limited its cross-examination of Duffy after his many hours of witness testimony, leaving much of that testimony unchallenged.

Judge in Mike Duffy trial dismisses 8 charges of fraud, breach of trust - Politics - CBC News

***UPDATE - 12 charges dismissed, 19 to go

Doesn't mean much, the last three can put him away for years and I'm betting the judge is well aware that not only must justice be done but must be seen to be done and HIS job possibly depends on that so Duffy should possibly prepare himself for a good stretch in durance vile! :)

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010

18 charges gone, 13 to go

I wonder how this will affect Harper if Duffy's acquitted of all charges.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.

It won't affect him at all, just make him appear to be extra vigilant, so no one can accuse him of closing one eye!

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
Oh yes, I'm sure it will make him appear 'vigilant' haha

I'm sure the taxprayers will love this too.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON

People like yourself blamed him for Duffy being there. I would assume you would owe him an apology. But I am sure you will feel it is somehow Harper's fault the judge didn't find him guilty.

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010

Angstrom

Hall of Fame Member
May 8, 2011
The damage was done, the horse and pony show helped get rid of Harper, but not as much as Mr. Layton's death helped unify the left vote under Liberal leader Justin Trudeau.

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
oh well...time for the summer toques to move on. nobody cares about this pudgy schmuck.

on to the next senator.

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
28 charges cleared

From Terry Mikewsky
#duffy Judge slams PMO conniving over Duffy cash. "Shocking."

#duffy Judge says PMO stopped at nothing to pressure Duffy. Buying Duffy's theory that he merely capitulated to PMO bullying.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Is there not one person in the entire system that isn't rotten to the f**king core? Corruption breeds corruption!

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
Apparently Duffy as he was just cleared of all charges!

And the Don Martin of CTV tweets thus:

Starting to wonder if Stephen Harper was on trial with Duffy and didn't know it. The judge's verdict evicerating the Harper PMO.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
28 charges cleared

From Terry Mikewsky
#duffy Judge slams PMO conniving over Duffy cash. "Shocking."

#duffy Judge says PMO stopped at nothing to pressure Duffy. Buying Duffy's theory that he merely capitulated to PMO bullying.

Sad day for Canada!

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
It's a sad day for curmudgeons for sure.

This is going to propel Trudeau, and quite possibly the NDP as well.

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007
It was all a lefty ruse from day one and the lefty press and low-info populace ate it up.