Canadians’ trust in government at highest point in 17 years of tracking

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
At lowest point with you know whooooooo

The level of trust Canadians have in the federal government is at its highest point since EKOS Research began measuring the key indicator 17 years ago, a new survey shows.

According to the poll, which surveyed 1,176 Canadian adults over the age of 18 on April 14th and 15th, 44 per cent said they “almost always” or “most of the time” trust the new Trudeau government in Ottawa to do what is right, compared to roughly 30 per cent who said the same before the October election, when Stephen Harper’s Conservatives were in power, and a low of 22 per cent in fall 2014.

That 44 per cent is the highest number tracked since EKOS began asking “the trust question” in 1990 and is the highest level measured previous to that by Gallup since the mid-1970s.

The poll was conducted more than three weeks after the Liberal government’s first budget, which was tabled on March 22 and reflected Prime Minister Justin Trudeau’s major, controversial, election promise of deficit spending to stimulate economic growth.

The current numbers also reflect that 53 per cent of respondents say they trust the government only some of the time or almost never, down from a six-year high of 76 per cent in August 2014 and just over 60 per cent in October 2015.

EKOS: Canadians’ trust in government at highest point in 17 years of tracking – iPolitics

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
Apparently they never asked anyone whose answer is never. But they did manage to find about 500 people in Canada that trust trudOWE which in itself is pretty amazing if they asked anyone west of Toronto.

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
The poll has a margin of error of +/- 2.9 per cent, 19 times out of 20.

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
At lowest point with you know whooooooo

The level of trust Canadians have in the federal government is at its highest point since EKOS Research began measuring the key indicator 17 years ago, a new survey shows.

According to the poll, which surveyed 1,176 Canadian adults over the age of 18.....http://ipolitics.ca/2016/04/18/ekos...-at-highest-point-in-17-years-of-tracking-ac/

.......& under the age of 19? That would sort of make sense. States the
minimum age, but not the number on the other side of the equation. It
would be interesting if this was broken down geographically across the
country to get a snap shot of Canadian unity also at this point.

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,

Danbones

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 23, 2015
"Trust but verify"
The nine most terrifying words in the English language are:
"I'm from the government and I'm here to help."
Ronald Reagon

LOL,
people trusted Bill Clinton too

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
Apparently they never asked anyone whose answer is never. But they did manage to find about 500 people in Canada that trust trudOWE which in itself is pretty amazing if they asked anyone west of Toronto.

Notice how the timing of the poll (17 years) coincides with the end of a recessionary period (brought on by Justine's dad) and through this most recent one?

Kind of like taking a poll of who's going to win the Stanley, but only after the games were all played

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
Ahh ... those cutsie pie multiple choice and twisted for content phone polls - always at supper time when you're less likely to want to play the head game and most eager to be rid of them.

I fib....

Jinentonix

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 6, 2015
Olympus Mons
The thing is, several studies have been done where one's looks play a part in how people perceive you. MOST of us as kids lived with the impression early on that good or pleasant looking people were automatically nice as well as trustworthy. Most of us grow up out of that ridiculous assumption, but Trudeau's acolytes are a prime example of how some people never grow out of the mind set.

So I have no problem believing that at least some of the respondents are basing their opinions solely on Trudeau's looks. He's just so dreamy, ya know.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
The thing is, several studies have been done where one's looks play a part in how people perceive you. MOST of us as kids lived with the impression early on that good or pleasant looking people were automatically nice as well as trustworthy. Most of us grow up out of that ridiculous assumption, but Trudeau's acolytes are a prime example of how some people never grow out of the mind set.

So I have no problem believing that at least some of the respondents are basing their opinions solely on Trudeau's looks. He's just so dreamy, ya know.

I couldn't have said it better myself. People have to understand that the best attribute some people have is the ability to "put their best foot forward". :)

Tell that to Harper.

I think poor old Harper is caught in between RAOTFLHFHO and pulling his hair out from frustration.:) :) :)

He's just so dreamy, ya know.

And his old man was dreamy too, to the tune of $400 billion! :) :)

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
They are willing to give Trudeau a chance for a bit so trust is higher.
Who are they comparing him with? Harper ya well that ain't much of
a choice Harper lost the trust of the Canadian people period in large
part. Lets wait two years and see what happens. I don't know about
trust but I am more favorable to where the government is going as it
concentrates on people more for the most part

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
They are willing to give Trudeau a chance for a bit so trust is higher.
Who are they comparing him with? Harper ya well that ain't much of
a choice Harper lost the trust of the Canadian people period in large
part. Lets wait two years and see what happens. I don't know about
trust but I am more favorable to where the government is going as it
concentrates on people more for the most part

One of Trudeau's fortes is the ability he has to tell people what they want to hear! I for one want to see what it is I want to hear! :) :)