Trudeau defends corporate dealings against accusations of tax avoidance

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
Details about Trudeau’s corporate holdings came after questions were raised in La Presse and in the Commons Wednesday, where NDP Leader Thomas Mulcair accused Trudeau of using various companies to “shelter his investments and avoid paying his full share of taxes.”

MONTREAL—Prime Minister Justin Trudeau says his business dealings are above board and follow the rules after charges that he has used registered companies to avoid paying his full share of taxes.

In addition to his $340,000 prime ministerial salary, the Liberal party leader receives regular dividends from a holding company, 7664699 Canada Inc., according to a compliance agreement published on the federal ethics commissioner’s website last month.

An official in the Prime Minister’s Office said the dividends come from a business that sells lumber and firewood from family land in Quebec and that management of those interests has been placed in a blind trust since he became prime minister.

The day after last October’s federal election, the official said Trudeau also liquidated and shut down 3701140 Canada Inc., a holding company that managed the inheritance left to Justin and Alexandre Trudeau, his brother, by their late father, former prime minister Pierre Elliott Trudeau.

mo

Justin Trudeau defends corporate dealings against accusations of tax avoidance | Toronto Star

The Rebel Verified account ‏@TheRebelTV

.@brianlilley Is Trudeau cheating on his taxes? More Liberal hypocrisy:

Remember during the election when Justin sat down with his friend Peter Mansbridge for that friendly tête-à-tête during which Trudeau revealed that he thought many small businesses were just shell companies set up to avoid taxes?

http://bit.ly/1MvE7Ej #cdnpoli #tcot

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
At least his financial earnings from the past won't take more than an afternoon to examine in minute detail. Martin on the other hand will be staying after school.

Sherman Skolnick's Report

That quote in blue is a head scratcher for sure. I guess gangsta rap made them into hypocrites
If we prosecuted him for his 'crimes' we would have to charge 1,000,000 other Canadians who do the same thing on a much larger scale.

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Wait a second. Just a quick head scratching math question.
Canada has a population of about 36,000,000 or so, right?

If ('If') Trudeau is tax evading with his shell companies due
to his (presumably) 1/2 Million+ annual income, then
1,000,000 other Canadians (1/36th) are in a financial
position equal to or exceeding that of the Prime Minister
with his inheritance and trust funds & Prime Minister's
salary....and must be doing the same thing on a much
larger scale???

For some reason, this just isn't ringing true for me....

I would venture to guess that well under 1% of Canada's population
even enters the neighbourhood of Justin Trudeau's income and thus
even the ability ('If' they are dodging taxes with shell companies) to
do the same thing on a much larger scale, but what do I know?

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
I didn't realize that liberals were the only 'smart ones in the room'. All that has to happen is one starts to rat out the others and after 1 domino in a circle falls the rest are sure to follow.

Wait a second. Just a quick head scratching math question.
Canada has a population of about 36,000,000 or so, right?

If ('If') Trudeau is tax evading with his shell companies due
to his (presumably) 1/2 Million+ annual income, then
1,000,000 other Canadians (1/36th) are in a financial
position equal to or exceeding that of the Prime Minister
with his inheritance and trust funds & Prime Minister's
salary....and must be doing the same thing on a much
larger scale???

For some reason, this just isn't ringing true for me....

I would venture to guess that well under 1% of Canada's population
even enters the neighbourhood of Justin Trudeau's income and thus
even the ability ('If' they are dodging taxes with shell companies) to
do the same thing on a much larger scale, but what do I know?
Would 'X number' solve your alarm bells? Tips as a snowboard instructor not declared would be money hidden from tax-man. A dinner for some personal instruction while in a Foreign land would be undeclared income that didn't make it as far as Panama. You guys are aware of who runs the coke business so that the area needs a bank on every corner.

UBS Whistleblower Says CIA Leaked Panama Papers - Fortune