Oil salesman threatens to shoot Alberta minister over carbon tax

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
'I was just having a bad day.'

A man has been charged after staff say someone phoned the legislature office of Alberta Environment Minister Shannon Phillips and threatened to shoot everyone over the carbon tax.

“This was nothing. This was me having a bad day,” Enright said when contacted by The Canadian Press on Thursday. “I’m a very calm person. Everybody knows me as a guy who never gets upset.”

Cheryl Sheppard of the Edmonton Police Service said Enright faces one Criminal Code charge of uttering threats.

The call happened a week ago, on March 31, in the middle of the afternoon.

“He was calling to express his anger over the carbon tax,” a staffer in Phillips’s office told police in a statement.

The staffer told police the caller, who refused to identify himself, referred to the minister as a man. When he was reminded Phillips was female, “he told me the NDP only hire people with boobs, not qualified people.”

“He then said he was going to get his ammunition and gun and come here and shoot us all,” the statement reads.

Man charged after alleged threat to Alberta minister over carbon tax - The Globe and Mail

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
Apparently his bad day just got a whole lot worse, wonder if he threw a rant when the news hit him? (goes to show what happens when you try and keep natural emotions bottled up)

Retired_Can_Soldier

The End of the Dog is Coming!
Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
Was there a point you were trying to make?

I've heard lots of people make comments like this, usually it amounts to venting. This particular individual simply picked up a phone and vented to the wrong people. I bet he doesn't do that again.

Apparently his bad day just got a whole lot worse, wonder if he threw a rant when the news hit him? (goes to show what happens when you try and keep natural emotions bottled up)

Yep

Jinentonix

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 6, 2015
Olympus Mons
I know how the guy feels. I'm STILL dealing with the CRA since their last display of gross incompetence. Bunch of f*cking sock puppets incapable of independent thought or action. All the stupid motherf*ckers have to do is look at page 1 of my motherf*cking tax return and all this goes away. But no, they continually let their faulty software do their thinking for them and I end up with the same mother*cking result.
Sure makes me want to take a drive to Sudbury and split some skulls to see if anyone there has two functioning brain cells they can rub together.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
I've heard lots of people make comments like this, usually it amounts to venting. This particular individual simply picked up a phone and vented to the wrong people. I bet he doesn't do that again.

Yep
Heck, even down here in the gun-happy, free speech-happy Land of the Free and Home of the Brave it's illegal to communicate a threat by telephone.

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
I think the difference here is that there was a plausible threat from this guy while many Albertans are respectfully expressing their disagreement to their local MPs.

This is why you have Notley and the federal Liberals looking for a way to get a pipeline ready while respecting the social and environmental process.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
I think the difference here is that there was a plausible threat from this guy while many Albertans are respectfully expressing their disagreement to their local MPs.

This is why you have Notley and the federal Liberals looking for a way to get a pipeline ready while respecting the social and environmental process.

No they are not. They are looking for ways to kill the oil industry altogether with out getting shot for it.
This man deserves a medal. Two if he carries through on his promise to cure the ills affecting Alberta's economy.

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007

^ notley

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
No they are not. They are looking for ways to kill the oil industry altogether with out getting shot for it.
This man deserves a medal. Two if he carries through on his promise to cure the ills affecting Alberta's economy.

Oh don't get me wrong - I'm reasonable enough to realize we don't need anymore pipelines.

But Notley needs to satisfy the fossils left in Alberta.