'Trudeau is the Wayne Gretzky of Canadian Politics'

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
‘A favourability rating that is equal to …Gretzky…and well ahead of Justin Bieber,’ Kerry says of Trudeau

WASHINGTON — A warm moment in Canada-U.S. relations unfolded on the White House lawn Thursday, one marked by small talk, big fanfare and a plan to see President Barack Obama address Canada’s Parliament before he leaves office.

The day began with a elaborate bit of bilateral cinematography: a military brass band, a cannon salute and hundreds of flag-waving onlookers greeting Prime Minister Justin Trudeau, in town for the first state dinner involving a Canadian in 19 years.

The leaders greeted the crowd along the rope line while their wives chatted nearby. A relaxed, wisecracking Obama made some jokes about American hockey dominance, while noting how long it had been since a similar Canada-U.S. event.

“We are very proud to welcome the first official visit by a Canadian prime minister in nearly 20 years. About time, eh?” Obama said.

“We have a common outlook on the world, and I have to say I have never seen so many Americans excited about the visit of a Canadian prime minister.”

Indeed, the two leaders went out of their way to project amity: Trudeau described the president as “My friend” and “Barack.” Obama said people were inspired by his message of hope and change.

‘A favourability rating that is equal to …Gretzky…and well ahead of Justin Bieber,’ Kerry says of Trudeau

Dixie Cup

Senate Member
Sep 16, 2006
Edmonton
Unfortunately, neither one of them will leave much of a legacy to be proud of, particularly "Bama. Trudeau is in his early years yet as PM but I'm sure it'll be pretty much the same. Common sense doesn't reside at Rideau anymore.

JMHO

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007
Yeah ... had he been a fishing guide, ski instructor, golf pro and a part-time teacher he could have been a right wing Ontario Premier
Harris was a full-time teacher and the best premier in my lifetime. Balanced budgets, booming economy, low unemployment, lefties' heads exploding as they rioted in front of Queer's Park.....

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
Harris was a supply teacher for a little while at W J Fricker Public School, North Bay - a point he expanded into a career for political purpose. Apparently the fertilizer took....