A Conservative civil war, with Harper back in the trenches? Are they insane?

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
No, just dumb.

A Conservative civil war, with Harper back in the trenches? Are they insane?

Is Stephen Harper about to rise, Lazarus-like, from the political dead?

On the face of it, the very idea seems like absurdity in hot pursuit of farce. After all, following the debacle of 1993 — when Canadian voters nuked the former Progressive Conservative Party of Canada — the party was definitely in need of a Moses. It’s just that no one was suggesting that it should be Brian Mulroney.

Why would they? It was Mulroney who created the perfect storm of electoral revulsion that resulted in Kim Campbell being blasted into oblivion, along with all but two members of her caucus. The lesson? It’s not normal for the guy who organizes the Charge of the Light Brigade to be given a new command.

So it was with moderate surprise that I read this week that, according to a “respected senior Conservative”, the name of one Stephen Joseph Harper was being advanced in Tory circles as a possible contender for the Conservative leadership.

Which is like saying Donald Trump has a shot at being the new Archbishop of New York. This bit of speculation was retailed by no less a pundit than the National Post‘s John Ivison. (I checked to make sure this wasn’t an April 1st leftover, and that Ivison was not moonlighting with 22 Minutes. Negative on both counts.)

The theory that accounts for the bizarre prospect of Harper Redux is that the CPC is a party in danger of bifurcating like a worm chopped in two by a garden spade. One part of this wriggling creation would be the Reform and Canadian Alliance element of the party which swallowed the old PCs after the “merger”. The other part would be the Red Tory excommunicants who have had no part to play in Canada’s decade of Tea Party Republicanism under Harper — except, with one or two noteworthy exceptions, as his accomplices.

The potential return of Harper, despite his loss of sixty seats and the government in the last election, is being driven by the urge to preserve the unity of the party — i.e. Western Canadian control of the conservative movement. And what is he supposed to be guarding it against? The heretical influence of progressive ideas from the old Joe Clark Brigade.

“These guys (the Harperites) are ideologues,” one knowledgeable source told me. “They hate Red Tories. Harper courted Peter (MacKay) for the merger. As soon as they had him, they shamed him continuously. No Red Tories allowed.”

https://ipolitics.ca/2016/04/07/a-c...-harper-back-in-the-trenches-are-they-insane/

skookumchuck

Council Member
Jan 19, 2012
Van Isle
Keeping in mind that flossies hero, mulchinhair, is in a similiar position, not to mention losing many seats. BTW, you would be unlikely to ask a 20 year old with a skateboard under her/his arm or feathers in the hair to fly your 757 or run your multi billion corporation but it is all good if you let them vote to run a country. Lots of "selfies" are very helpful.
Having those who pay the least taxes having the most say sounds like really stupid.

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Can't believe that you've let Harper live rent-free in your head for over a decade now.

You really ought to start charging him some kinda rent

Can't believe you've let me live rent free in your head for all these years.

You really should start charging rent .. or something

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007
Analfloss found another Clingon. He should wipe more diligently and then won't have this problem.