End corporate and union donations to political parties

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
"The best way to ensure that we've got a democracy that's for the people and by the people is to make sure that the only people who can who can give money to political parties are citizens."

Dominic Cardy backs Justin Trudeau's call to end corporate, union donations

A suggestion by Prime Minister Justin Trudeau that provinces should stop allowing corporations and unions to donate to political parties is generating more enthusiasm from New Brunswick's NDP than it is from provincial Liberals.

"I think that`s an absolutely excellent idea from the prime minister," said New Brunswick NDP Leader Dominic Cardy. "Other provinces have done this, it's time New Brunswick followed suit."

On Wednesday, Trudeau told reporters it was time for provinces to "shift their behaviour in a positive way" and allow only individuals to donate to political parties.

Federal parties have operated under those rules since 2006.

"I think banning union and corporate donations as we have done at the federal level is an important step that different provinces should consider," said Trudeau.

That would be a big step in New Brunswick.

Dominic Cardy backs Justin Trudeau's call to end corporate, union donations - New Brunswick - CBC News

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
I have a better idea, let them pay for it all and the taxpayers can keep their money as they aren't getting the service they are supposed to be getting anyway.

JamesBondo

House Member
Mar 3, 2012
I agree that mandatory dues should not be used to support a political party as the money tends to be donated exclusively to 1 party. A cash flow like this is not in the spirit of democracy.

Additionally, I agree that corporate donations need to be capped so they are not disproportionately larger than other Democratic interests.

Nick Danger

Council Member
Jul 21, 2013
Penticton, BC
I agree with this entirely. The idea that deep pockets can buy an election is just wrong, and is an open door to political favouritism and back room bargaining. There's a very basic idea in politics that we have strayed so far from as to not even see it any more, the idea that our elected officials are in office to represent those who put them there. These days is "say whatever you have to" to get elected but once your there your allegiance goes to the party and, by extension, their corporate sponsors. The disconnect between elector and electee is a grassroots flaw in our current system of government.

Angstrom

Hall of Fame Member
May 8, 2011
"The best way to ensure that we've got a democracy that's for the people and by the people is to make sure that the only people who can who can give money to political parties are citizens."

Dominic Cardy backs Justin Trudeau's call to end corporate, union donations

A suggestion by Prime Minister Justin Trudeau that provinces should stop allowing corporations and unions to donate to political parties is generating more enthusiasm from New Brunswick's NDP than it is from provincial Liberals.

"I think that`s an absolutely excellent idea from the prime minister," said New Brunswick NDP Leader Dominic Cardy. "Other provinces have done this, it's time New Brunswick followed suit."

On Wednesday, Trudeau told reporters it was time for provinces to "shift their behaviour in a positive way" and allow only individuals to donate to political parties.

Federal parties have operated under those rules since 2006.

"I think banning union and corporate donations as we have done at the federal level is an important step that different provinces should consider," said Trudeau.

That would be a big step in New Brunswick.

Dominic Cardy backs Justin Trudeau's call to end corporate, union donations - New Brunswick - CBC News

Is feminist lobby spending still ok?