Consevative Party leadership contest

Walter
+2 / -2
Kellie Leitch is the first one to jump in. She's my MP and I may support her but I'll wait to see her platform before I decide.

lone wolf
Free Thinker
Are you gonna keep your crayon inside the lines?

taxslave
No Party Affiliation
Thats why lines are drawn in the sand, so they can be moved as required.

lone wolf
Free Thinker
+1
Yeah ... I suppose in this era of swiftly moving goal posts, lines are easier to work with

tay
Tory leadership candidate Kellie Leitch became visibly emotional while trying to explain her decision to front the launch of the Conservatives tip line for reporting barbaric cultural practices during the recent federal election.

The former minister in Stephen Harper's government told CBC News Network's Power & Politics that she wishes she never took part in the election announcement.

And blubbering accordingly. .....

And no doubt shedding a tear or two for the state of her campaign and the state of her campaign manager. (external - login to view)

tay
People, including children can call 911 if they have a problem. I'm fascinated by the sheer volume of times she mentioned kids/children/girls in the full interview

She will not win.

Well okay, she may win the CON leadership but she will never win a general election. She doesn't have the right hair and her thinking on everything is against the tide.....

Part of being a leader is standing up against the wrong ideas and positions. Not only did she fail in this capacity but doubled down with a press conference beside the Tweedle Dum Chris Alexander from Pickering.

The Simcoe-Grey MP refused to reveal who in the Conservative Party came up with the idea for the tip line saying "this is not a time for pointing fingers at people or looking at what happened."

Curious Cdn
Conservative
Quote: Originally Posted by tayView Post

Part of being a leader is standing up against the wrong ideas and positions. Not only did she fail in this capacity but doubled down with a press conference beside the Tweedle Dum Chris Alexander from Pickering.

Yeah. Why do the Provincial Ontario Tories keep doing things like that, anyway?

I would consider backing Lisa Rait, who is MP of a neighbouring riding.

tay
Lisa Raitt would have no chance. Her anti labour tirades when she had that portfolio have doomed her.

Ontario needs to so badly escape the Libs but the reality of it is the voters don't see anyone better. Brown recently agreed that Cap & Trade is a good thing (I'm personally undecided on that issue) but other than that, neither the NDP or Cons are offering too much of an alternative........

Angstrom
No Party Affiliation
12 years of liberal rule it is then

Curious Cdn
Conservative
Quote: Originally Posted by AngstromView Post

12 years of liberal rule it is then

Maybe, I'll die young.

Liberalman
Free Thinker
Kelly Leitch showed her weakness by not defending what she announced making her a flip flopper and bad for the country

pgs
Free Thinker
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by LiberalmanView Post

Kelly Leitch showed her weakness by not defending what she announced making her a flip flopper and bad for the country

Time to change your avatar liberalman .

taxslave
No Party Affiliation
Any of them would be better than trudOWE.
To get my vote the new leader will have to have been born and raised west of Winnipeg.

darkbeaver
Republican
I don't see much of a contest, it's fairly certain that they will be able to elect a conservative.

tay
Well, good thing no one's planning on making marijuana legal for minors, then, right?

She makes it sound like pot will be scattered upon the land for any to grab and smoke. Alcohol is legal and dangerous yet I don't see children and adolescents (10-14) drinking.

This is the same tired, unproven diatribe the CONS used during the election and it didn't work.

If Kelly Leitch was truly concerned about children she'd be calling for a ban on giving children candy or any sugary confections (external - login to view). .......

Would you criminalize recreational marijuana, once again, as prime minister?” Lawton asked her.

“Yes,” Leitch replied.

“I feel strongly about this,” she added. “We know this is a dangerous drug that has a huge impact on the developing child brain and adolescent brain, and I believe that if we want to make it available to those who need it, that it should be in a pharmacy and provided by a prescription, but not made available otherwise to Canadians, because of the damaging impact it can have on the developing human brain.”

Conservative Leadership Candidate Kellie Leitch Pledges To Re-Criminalize Marijuana, If Elected | (CFPL AM) AM 980 (external - login to view)

taxslave
No Party Affiliation

Well, good thing no one's planning on making marijuana legal for minors, then, right?

She makes it sound like pot will be scattered upon the land for any to grab and smoke. Alcohol is legal and dangerous yet I don't see children and adolescents (10-14) drinking.

This is the same tired, unproven diatribe the CONS used during the election and it didn't work.

If Kelly Leitch was truly concerned about children she'd be calling for a ban on giving children candy or any sugary confections (external - login to view). .......

Would you criminalize recreational marijuana, once again, as prime minister?” Lawton asked her.

“Yes,” Leitch replied.

“I feel strongly about this,” she added. “We know this is a dangerous drug that has a huge impact on the developing child brain and adolescent brain, and I believe that if we want to make it available to those who need it, that it should be in a pharmacy and provided by a prescription, but not made available otherwise to Canadians, because of the damaging impact it can have on the developing human brain.”

Conservative Leadership Candidate Kellie Leitch Pledges To Re-Criminalize Marijuana, If Elected | (CFPL AM) AM 980 (external - login to view)

How do you recriminalize something that is already a criminal offence? Or do you still think trudOWE i going to legalize pot? News Flash: HE isn't. It was just a lie to buy votes. THat is what liberal governments traditionally do.

captain morgan
Bloc Québécois
+1
The true believers will continue to see only what they want to see, much like the comment about believing that a 14 y/o has never had booze.

Sunny Ways, I guess

tay
Quote: Originally Posted by taxslaveView Post

How do you recriminalize something that is already a criminal offence? Or do you still think trudOWE i going to legalize pot? News Flash: HE isn't. It was just a lie to buy votes. THat is what liberal governments traditionally do.

She's determined to reverse his decision, if it ever happens.

Yes she seems to think Trudeau is not lying and will legalize pot resulting in it being scattered everywhere for the children to smoke non stop.

Harper tried to claim (via his imported tobacco lobbyist election advisor from Ozland) that Pot was worse than tobacco and that comment got sneered at world wide.

Even the Toronto Sun is mystified by her........

I nearly cringed when Conservative leadership candidate Kellie Leitch told me she would undo the forthcoming legalization of recreational marijuana, should she become the prime minister.

Conservatives need to be more libertarian on pot | Guest Column | Columnists | O

Quote: Originally Posted by captain morganView Post

The true believers will continue to see only what they want to see, much like the comment about believing that a 14 y/o has never had booze.

Sunny Ways, I guess

I put that age group 10-14 in so that all understand what's considered to be an adolescent. I never said that some had not drank. I just don't see it as an ongoing problem.....

Conservatives can howl at the moon, as they did in the last election, and stand pat on the criminalization of marijuana, or they can take a strong, mature, proactive role in dealing with this inevitability. One long-shot candidate for the leadership of the Conservatives, Maxime Bernier, has already signalled he was leaning toward supporting the Liberals here.

http://www.hilltimes.com/2016/04/27/conservatives-update-pot-policy-or-risk-looking-like-prudes-in-poorly-fitting-blue-suits/59781 (external - login to view)

petros
As mentioned a month ago....meet the next leader.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andrew_Scheer (external - login to view)

He is dirt free.

Regina MP Andrew Scheer rumoured to run for Conservative Party leadership | Regina Leader-Post (external - login to view)

Walter
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by petrosView Post

As mentioned a month ago....meet the next leader.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andrew_Scheer (external - login to view)

He is dirt free.

Regina MP Andrew Scheer rumoured to run for Conservative Party leadership | Regina Leader-Post (external - login to view)

Maybe in 10 years. Not enough life experience for my liking. And he's done nothing but politics for his adult life.

petros
+1
His entire life has been in politics. Hell, even the Injuns like him. Libs tried running an Injun against him and she still got slaughtered.

He is a very sharp and on the ball MP who is dirt free.

Walter
Quote: Originally Posted by petrosView Post

His entire life has been in politics. Hell, even the Injuns like him. Libs tried running an Injun against him and she still got slaughtered.

He is a very sharp and on the ball MP who is dirt free.

What are his beliefs? Is he conservative or just Conservative?

captain morgan
Bloc Québécois
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by WalterView Post

Maybe in 10 years. Not enough life experience for my liking. And he's done nothing but politics for his adult life.

You just described Justin Trudeau in terms of life experience, unless, of course you were referring to skills related to substitute drama classes or cashing trust fund cheques

I put that age group 10-14 in so that all understand what's considered to be an adolescent. I never said that some had not drank. I just don't see it as an ongoing problem.....

Those kids already have access to pot (and booze), so I am unclear as to why you bring this up as an argument

Conservatives can howl at the moon, as they did in the last election, and stand pat on the criminalization of marijuana, or they can take a strong, mature, proactive role in dealing with this inevitability. One long-shot candidate for the leadership of the Conservatives, Maxime Bernier, has already signalled he was leaning toward supporting the Liberals here.

Quoting an opinion piece that agrees with your individual opinion does nothing to support your ideas on this.... A nice touch to be sure, but it sends more of a message that you're trying to convince yourself more than anything else

MHz
I still don't know why a losing leader is allowed to quit, he should have to stay on until the next election as it is the policies that cost him the race rather than his haircut and lack of tack when greeting foreign dignitaries.

JLM
No Party Affiliation
Quote: Originally Posted by WalterView Post

Kellie Leitch is the first one to jump in. She's my MP and I may support her but I'll wait to see her platform before I decide.

Don't settle for anyone not as good as Harper.

Quote: Originally Posted by MHzView Post

I still don't know why a losing leader is allowed to quit, he should have to stay on until the next election as it is the policies that cost him the race rather than his haircut and lack of tack when greeting foreign dignitaries.

Not sure how tack fits in with foreign dignitaries!

MHz
Slide ahead to the 1:00 mark if you are in a hurry. (the 2nd one is Putin's reply if the right frame shows up)

httpwwwyoutubecomwatchvsQnbKvYpju0

httpwwwyoutubecomwatchvPAxcHjcD44

That is behind a lot of my comments about him being made permanent ambassador to the Ukraine rather than I think he deserves the position based on any actual skills he may have. I would say Russia but then he and his wife would have to be seen out getting drunk with 'the locals' in whatever part of their tour of Russia they are on, yer it is a slow train in a big country but at least you will get a pic of him smiling and having messy hair so it is a priceless journey.
Other than that I never voted for him but no need to get into that aspect of it.

tay
Looks like Tony feels he would lose to Rona.....

Conservative MP and potential leadership candidate Tony Clement suggests the unity of the Tory caucus depends on interim leader Rona Ambrose sticking to her “solemn vow” not to run for the permanent job, as some Tory MPs look to amend the party’s constitution to allow her candidacy.

Ambrose maintains she won’t look to run for the permanent leadership – a position that was reinforced Monday by her spokesman.

Whether or not Ambrose should be able to run for the Conservative party crown is emerging as a divisive issue in the caucus, with a number of Tory MPs launching a “Draft Rona Ambrose” campaign, while others insist the party should not allow her to enter the race.

Clement, one of Ambrose’s top lieutenants in the House of Commons who’s considering running for the party reins, said Monday the interim leader’s credibility and caucus harmony rests on her remaining true to her word.

However, a group of Conservative MPs, led by longtime parliamentarian Scott Reid, has launched a Draft Rona campaign in an effort to get members to amend the party’s constitution at this month’s policy convention and allow Ambrose to run for the job, if she wants
it.

Rona Ambrose needs to keep her ‘solemn vow’ that she will not seek permanent Tory leadership: Clement | National Post

tay
+1
A member of the CBC's board of directors has resigned from his position to seek the presidency of the Conservative Party of Canada.

Brian Mitchell, a Montreal lawyer, confirmed that he resigned Sunday after eight years on the government-funded broadcaster's board of directors and its pension board of trustees.

Meanwhile, a CBC watchdog group said Mitchell's move, and the number of other appointees with political ties, show why there is a need for a new board appointment process for the public broadcaster.

Mitchell said he's running in order to help rebuild the Conservatives after they were voted out of office last October.

"I think the party needs me," Mitchell said. "The party needs my experience and my help and my loyalty."

Mitchell is a former treasurer of the Progressive Conservative Party of Canada, which merged with the Canadian Alliance to become the Conservative Party of Canada in 2003.

He then served as party vice-president before an unsuccessful previous bid to become party president in 2005.

He was appointed to the CBC board of directors by former prime minister Stephen Harper in 2008.

more

CBC Board Member Resigns to Seek Conservative Presidency | The Tyee (external - login to view)

tay
+1
OTTAWA — Social conservative MP Brad Trost is exploring a bid for the Conservative leadership.

Trost, a vocal anti-abortionist who fought to keep the definition of marriage as the union of one man and woman in the Tory policy book in May, confirmed he is in the exploratory stage of a bid.

"We still need to figure out if we can put together a professional team, if we can put together a decent amount of money, and what support there is out there that would sell membership at the grassroots level," he said.

The Saskatoon—University MP and former geophysicist said he was approached two or three times in April to run and declined.

But Trost said he changed his mind when he didn't see anyone in the current or possible slate of Tory candidate that would push forward the values and beliefs he holds. If there was anyone, Trost said, he would be just as happy to vote for them.

Brad Trost, Anti-Abortion Social Conservative, Mulls Tory Leadership Bid (external - login to view)

tay
Former federal and pro‎vincial cabinet minister Tony Clement will join the Conservative leadership race on Tuesday, sources say.

Clement, who finished third in the 2004 Tory contest won by Stephen Harper, will make it official at Mississauga’s Streetsville Overseas Veterans’ Club.

The theme of his campaign will be “empowerment” and his supporters plan to tout his experience as a grassroots activist who helped rebuild the provincial Progressive Conservatives before Mike Harris led them to power at Queen’s Park in 1995.

He was also a key figure in the 2003 amalgamation of the federal Tories and the Canadian Alliance that united the right after a decade in the political wilderness.

Clement, 55, will become the fourth candidate in the race, joining MPs Maxime Bernier, 53, (Beauce) Michael Chong, 44, (Wellington-Halton Hills) and Kellie Leitch, 45, (Simcoe-Grey).

Clement has been the Parry Sound-Muskoka MP since winning the riding by 28 votes in 2006. He represented ‎Brampton West-Mississauga provincially until 2003.

Unlike retired former minister Peter MacKay — the presumptive front-runner, though he has yet to enter‎ — Clement stuck around to fight the October election won by Prime Minister Justin Trudeau’s Liberals.

“He didn’t cut and run,” noted one adviser.

Nor has Clement been shy about distancing himself — albeit after the fact — from some of Harper’s more controversial decisions while in power.

The former Treasury Board president, industry minister, and health minister has been critical of Ottawa’s $15-billion arms deal with Saudi Arabia initiated by the Tories and finalized by the Liberals.

https://www.thestar.com/news/canada/...tory-race.html
Last edited by tay; Jul 9th, 2016 at 07:31 AM..

no new posts