Consevative Party leadership contest

tay
I bet the Libs want him to win the leadership.....

Tony Clement wants to be leader of the Conservative Party. Perhaps he believes that the third time will be the charm. But, Bob Hepburn writes (link is external), there are five reasons Clement should reconsider his bid:

First, Clement deservedly earned the title of “The King of Pork-Barrel Politics” (link is external) for his disgraceful role in doling out $50 million in special projects in his riding that were to be related to the 2010 G8 summit in Huntsville. Instead, most of the money went to totally unrelated projects far from the summit site, such as renovating bandshells and gazebos, planting flowers, repairing public washrooms and paving roads in his riding.

Second, Clement became an international joke when he enthusiastically killed the important long-form census (link is external) of 2011. He saw it as an invasion of privacy for asking such delicate questions as how many bathrooms are in your home. The move so outraged Munir Sheikh, the country’s chief statistician, that he quit in disgust.

Third, Clement is talking up his immigrant background, but he has a lot to answer for on immigration. Despite being a senior cabinet minister, he did and said nothing over the last few years as the Harper government deliberately dragged its heels in allowing Syrian refugees to come to Canada. He also kept his mouth shut when his cabinet colleague Kellie Leitch proposed a snitch hotline clearly aimed at Muslims where people could report “barbaric cultural practices.”

Fourth, Clement is a Harper clone — and happily so. Like Harper, he is stiff, devoid of charisma and uninspiring. He is well-liked by the out-of-favour Harperites and offers voters nothing fresh, from his call to stop funding the CBC to Iran-bashing that voters didn’t see — and reject — in Harper himself in the last election.

And, fifth, there is Peter Mackay. Hepburn is sure he too will throw his hat in the ring. Mackay also has lots of skeletons in his closet. But, at least, he seems less moribund than Clement.

All in all, they're not an inspiring bunch. But, then, they never were.

tay
'God put conservatives on earth to stop taxes everywhere, forever': Brad Trost

Trained as a geophysicist, he’s the guy who stood up to Harper and cabinet on such issues as abortion and same-sex marriage.

And he wants to be the guy to stand up to Prime Minister Justin Trudeau on legalizing marijuana, assisted suicide, and his soft-on-terror approach.

“I am against those things,” he said. “Sometimes politicians have to learn to stop saying ‘yes’ and instead say ‘no.'”

As an evangelical Christian with a wife and 16-month-old daughter, Trost’s beliefs didn’t always sell well inside a caucus looking to appear more moderate and favourable to the disapproving, politically-correct opposition and media.

“I have always voted with my conscience for 12 years as a member of Parliament,” he said.

So what does a social conservative opposition backbencher do?

Take a shot at one day being on the front bench as prime minister by running for the Conservative leadership.

“I am travelling the country to build a campaign,” he told me at Canada Christian College, where he was a guest of Dr. Charles McVety.

Trost plans to “officially” announce in September. But with major former cabinet ministers in the race like Kellie Leitch, Maxime Bernier and Tony Clement, plus potential entrants like Lisa Raitt, Kevin O’Leary and Peter MacKay, why is Trost planning to run?

“Because I am a real Conservative from the conservative wing of the party who is 100% conservative,” he said.

‘God put conservatives on earth to stop taxes everywhere, forever’: Brad Trost | Saskatoon StarPhoenix (external - login to view)

tay
I guess he couldn't wait until September......

MP Brad Trost has officially jumped into the federal Conservative leadership race.

The longtime backbench MP is selling himself as “100% conservative” and someone willing to stand up and defend the right flank of the party, especially when it comes to divisive social issues.

Trost, 42, is an outspoken anti-abortionist and self-declared “uncompromising defender of traditional marriage.” He fought vigorously, but unsuccessfully, at the Conservative national convention in May to keep the party’s definition of marriage as “the union of one man and one woman.”

He will use his leadership campaign to appeal to social conservatives and other members who might feel like the Conservative party and certain leadership candidates have been abandoning some of their core principles for political expediency.

“Brad Trost is a genuine, principled conservative — a 100% conservative — who believes that Canadians are concerned about their families and deserve leaders who respect them and who can speak for them on ALL the important issues of the day,” says Trost’s new leadership website, launched Tuesday. (external - login to view)

Trost, the member of Parliament for Saskatoon-University, is now the sixth declared candidate in the Conservative party’s leadership race, joining MPs Maxime Bernier, Kellie Leitch, Michael Chong, Tony Clement and Deepak Obhrai.

Fellow Conservative MPs Andrew Scheer, the former Speaker of the House of Commons, and former veterans affairs minister Erin O’Toole are also considering leadership bids. Former Conservative MP Peter MacKay, considered the leadership front-runner if he wants the job, is also weighing whether to enter the race.

Trost is in Mongolia on vacation and couldn’t be reached for comment Tuesday

Social conservative MP Brad Trost joins federal Conservative leadership race, will defend party’s right flank (external - login to view)

Danbones
Free Thinker
+1
for the glorious leader
I vote miss ottawa
by a wide margin

PS
and this legalize pot stuff?
Dear CONSWERVATIVE: prohibition never works:
It only makes it more valuable to criminals,
but hey, look how it worked for JFK's clan's electability
jeez

tay
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by tayView Post

Tory leadership candidate Kellie Leitch became visibly emotional while trying to explain her decision to front the launch of the Conservatives tip line for reporting barbaric cultural practices during the recent federal election.

The former minister in Stephen Harper's government told CBC News Network's Power & Politics that she wishes she never took part in the election announcement.

And blubbering accordingly. .....

And no doubt shedding a tear or two for the state of her campaign and the state of her campaign manager. (external - login to view)

Old habits are hard to shake.....

Conservative leadership candidate Kellie Leitch wants to know what her supporters think about vetting would-be immigrants and refugees for "anti-Canadian values."

Leitch does not spell out what is meant by "anti-Canadian values," nor otherwise declare where Leitch herself stands on the issue.

Neither did her campaign manager Nick Kouvalis, who said Thursday he would not comment.

Should we screen immigrants for 'anti-Canadian values?' Kellie Leitch's campaign wants to know - Politics - CBC News

Danbones
Free Thinker
it's a con test all right

Curious Cdn
Conservative

Conservative leadership candidate Kellie Leitch wants to know what her supporters think about vetting would-be immigrants and refugees for "anti-Canadian values."

Leitch does not spell out what is meant by "anti-Canadian values," nor otherwise declare where Leitch herself stands on the issue.

Neither did her campaign manager Nick Kouvalis, who said Thursday he would not comment.

Should we screen immigrants for 'anti-Canadian values?' Kellie Leitch's campaign wants to know - Politics - CBC News

Apparently, Kellie isn't the brightest bulb on the string. She's playing to that 15-20% far right of the Conservatives who think that Trump is sn alright guy and thst borrowing planks from his dodgy platform will make them electable. Either the Conservative Party can have a Very Right-Libertarian circle jerk and choose another Reformacon as it's leader or they can move themselves closer to the center where the votes are and where a chance of forming a government lies. The idealogues control the party. They are nowhere near the mainstream thinking of the Canadian public and disaster looms for this party for decades to come. The only hope that they have of winning an election is if the Liberals lose one due to some poorly handled disaster. That has mostly been the case since Borden's time.

tay
Rona doesn't support Leitch's immigrant screening proposal

Interim Conservative leader Rona Ambrose says that she “doesn’t support the idea” behind a proposal from leadership candidate Kellie Leitch to screen immigrants for “anti-Canadian values.”

Ambrose told CTV’s Question Period that she “personally” doesn’t support such screening.

“I don’t even know what that would look like,” she said.

Ambrose added that “as far as our party is concerned, we value immigration.”

Michael Chong, who is also running to replace Stephen Harper as leader, wrote Friday on Facebook that Leitch’s proposal has been called “the worst of dog-whistle politics.”

Despite mounting criticism, Leitch doubled-down on her screening idea on Friday, issuing a press release that stated she will be “putting forward policies that will make Canada safer, stronger and that will enhance a unified Canadian identity.”

"Screening potential immigrants for anti-Canadian values that include intolerance towards other religions, cultures and sexual orientations, violent and/or misogynist behaviour and/or a lack of acceptance of our Canadian tradition of personal and economic freedoms is a policy proposal that I feel very strongly about,” Leitch wrote.

Ambrose 'doesn't support the idea' behind Leitch's immigrant screening proposal | CTV News (external - login to view)

Curious Cdn
Conservative
... and Kellie is an expert on what anti-Canadian values look like? I wonder how many of her constiuents want to freely carry loaded, semiautomatic pistols everywhere in their trousers?

Machjo
If an immigrant is forced to accept homosexuality as being morally acceptable, would that not effectively limit immigration to atheists?

gerryh
Quote: Originally Posted by MachjoView Post

If an immigrant is forced to accept homosexuality as being morally acceptable, would that not effectively limit immigration to atheists?

No, it wouldn't. Not very smart, are ya.

Machjo
Quote: Originally Posted by gerryhView Post

Sorry, you're right.

Not homosexuality, but homosexual acts.

gerryh

Sorry, you're right.

Not homosexuality, but homosexual acts.

Machjo
I wonder if the 'Canadian-values questionnaire will ask about one's beliefs pertaining to a woman's right to have an abortion?

gerryh

I wonder if the 'Canadian-values questionnaire will ask about one's beliefs pertaining to a woman's right to have an abortion?

why would it?

Machjo
+1

why would it?

Given how crazy Leitch's proposal of a 'Canadian-values' test is from the get go, why wouldn't it? I can only immagine what kind of questions the questionnaire could ask and what the answer would be supposed to be.

gerryh

Given how crazy Leitch's proposal of a 'Canadian-values' test is from the get go, why wouldn't it? I can only immagine what kind of questions the questionnaire could ask and what the answer would be supposed to be.

Yes, it appears you are very good at imagining all kinds of bullshyte that is not likely to happen or that you have no real knowledge in or of.

Machjo

Yes, it appears you are very good at imagining all kinds of bullshyte that is not likely to happen or that you have no real knowledge in or of.

So you tell me, what would a 'Canadian-values' test look like?

All I can think of is obey the law or pay the consequences? beyond that, we're talking brainwashing.

Ludlow
No Party Affiliation

I've heard that term several times, "old stock Canadian". Now, what the fuk does that mean?

gerryh

So you tell me, what would a 'Canadian-values' test look like?

All I can think of is obey the law or pay the consequences? beyond that, we're talking brainwashing.

I have no idea, and since I don't, I'm not about to start spouting bullshyte, supposition, or innuendo. I'll leave that to the single brain cell individuals.

Machjo
Quote: Originally Posted by LudlowView Post

I've heard that term several times, "old stock Canadian". Now, what the fuk does that mean?

I don't know. The B&B Commission report defines 'two founding races' as 'Canadians of British and French origin.' I've always taken old-stock Canadian to just be a more recent term to replace 'two founding races,' the term used in the 1960's. But I could be wrong.

gerryh

I don't know. The B&B Commission report defines 'two founding races' as 'Canadians of British and French origin.' I've always taken old-stock Canadian to just be a more recent term to replace 'two founding races,' the term used in the 1960's. But I could be wrong.

You don't know, but you have no problem answering the question.

Here's the answer from the guy that originally said it.

Stephen Harper explains 'old-stock Canadians' comment - Politics - CBC News

Quote:

Conservative Leader Stephen Harper has elaborated on what he meant when he alluded to "old-stock Canadians" during last night's leaders' debate, saying it refers to "Canadians who have been the descendants of immigrants for one or more generations."

Machjo
So in other words, if you're not an immigrant, you're an old-stock Canadian.

gerryh

So in other words, if you're not an immigrant, you're an old-stock Canadian.

Still having comprehension problems? He is quite clear in his explanation. It's definitely NOT the bullshyte answer you came up with.

personal touch
Bloc Québécois
Jason is the one to lead the Conservative party of Alberta
Or what ever he is doing
Federal don't pay much attention to

Machjo

Still having comprehension problems? He is quite clear in his explanation. It's definitely NOT the bullshyte answer you came up with.

He said anyone who is a Canadian for one generation or more. To be so for at leat one generation, the parents would have to be immigrants and him born in Canada. Ergo, a non-immigrant.

gerryh

He said anyone who is a Canadian for one generation or more. To be so for at leat one generation, the parents would have to be immigrants and him born in Canada. Ergo, a non-immigrant.

Which is not the answer YOU gave to the local american. Is it.

Quote: Originally Posted by personal touchView Post

Jason is the one to lead the Conservative party of Alberta
Or what ever he is doing
Federal don't pay much attention to

This thread is about Federal. Not who's co ck you suck provincially.

personal touch
Bloc Québécois
Does anyone listen to Jason?

Machjo

Which is not the answer YOU gave to the local american. Is it.

This thread is about Federal. Not who's co ck you suck provincially.

F Off.

personal touch
Bloc Québécois
My My
Let's talk about Jason,his thighs or something like that

no new posts