Keystone pipeline shut down after crude leak in South Dakota

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Hold on to your butts.

Keystone pipeline shut down after crude leak in South Dakota

TransCanada Corp. has shut down its Keystone crude oil pipeline indefinitely after a leak was detected Saturday afternoon in South Dakota.

The company is investigating the incident near its Freeman pump station, in a remote area of Hutchinson County.

It is not clear how much oil was spilled but cleanup is underway.

"We've been given an early estimate, but until they actually dig down to the pipeline, I don't think they're going to have a firm number on the exact number of gallons that were involved," said Chris Nelson, chairman of the South Dakota Public Utilities Commission.

TransCanada is in the process of removing the oil and investigating the source of the leak, reported at 4 p.m. Saturday.

http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/canada/...wn-after-crude-leak-in-south-dakota-1.3519740

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007
Have you stopped using petroleum and petroleum based products, Analfloss?

Jinentonix

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 6, 2015
Olympus Mons
I'd rather deal with the potential for a leak than deal with multi-thousand ton rolling bombs travelling through my town.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
Nope, but I have lived near them before. What's your point? That something like Lac Magentic is preferable to a leak?

Its clean US crude that spilt so it is OK. Not like that dirty stuff from Canada that must be hauled in rail cars owned by Warren Buffet.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Preferred....

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
Nope, but I have lived near them before. What's your point? That something like Lac Magentic is preferable to a leak?
Interpret as you like if you're not into reasonable discussion. I don't see much difference between a fast fire and slowly being poisoned by oil in the groundwater from a leaky old pipe - but neither really matter in the pursuit of profit

For the record: Energy East is okay by me - as long as the pipe's for the purpose

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
Nope ... just following your example. Proof would just be wasted on you anyhow ... but it's there for all to see in three NTSB reports.

Now ... time to walk the dog. It's come to a choice of butting heads with you or intelligent conversation