Let them eat sunny cake

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
or pony cake...whatever.

this lad's petty, vile spew is so obnoxious I think it deserves a thread beyond picking on his shininess.

By lance on March 30, 2016 1:00 PM | 8 Comments

More in the 'From the mouths of babes' file.
Trudeau said in an interview with Global Calgary that people in Edmonton and Saskatchewan who complain of being left out of changes to the program should feel fortunate their areas have not been harder hit by the downturn in energy prices.​
Selfish dolts, if you're unemployed should be happy that you're not, umm, unemployed.

Trudeau continues to defend EI changes that left out Edmonton and area

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau is sticking by his government’s decision not to grant extended employment insurance benefits to the Edmonton region and says he’s confident the economy will improve.

Trudeau is in Alberta this week to promote his Liberal government’s first budget, released last week.

It includes extended EI benefits for people in 12 regions across the country struggling through the economic downturn.

The employment insurance extensions were granted to everywhere in Alberta except for the Edmonton region, which includes surrounding communities such as Leduc, Nisku, Strathcona County, Fort Saskatchewan and Spruce Grove.

The exclusion has sparked wide criticism from opponents who say that while the City of Edmonton’s unemployment rate has fared better than the rest of the province, outlying communities are struggling.

“EI has always been divided into regions and it’s always been evaluated on a local regional basis as to how people are doing and for now Edmonton’s not doing as poorly as a lot of other places in the country,” Trudeau said in an interview on Global Edmonton Wednesday morning. “But as I’ve said we’re focused on giving people the help they need and we’re watching very carefully to see how the economy goes and if there is more need to step up later.”

He said his government would monitor the numbers in the region closely, but added he’s optimistic the situation will improve.

“I’m optimistic with the kinds of investments in infrastructure we’re doing, the more generous Canada Child Benefit cheques we’ll be sending families, with the existing changes that apply right across the country on EI, things are going to get better,” he said.

Earlier this week, the prime minister said people in excluded regions such as Edmonton and Saskatchewan should be thankful they haven’t been hit harder by the economic downturn.

“I think that both people in Edmonton and Saskatchewan should be pleased that they are not hit as hard as other parts of the country and indeed the province have been,” Trudeau said in the Global Calgary interview that aired at 6 p.m. Tuesday.

Trudeau later made an appearance at the Mill Woods library in south Edmonton to meet with families along with Infrastructure Minister Amarjeet Sohi and Edmonton-Centre Liberal MP Randy Boissonault.

The visit attracted hundreds of cellphone toting onlookers who crammed between book shelves and tables to catch a glimpse of the prime minister.

Trudeau continues to defend EI changes that left out Edmonton and area

Angstrom

Hall of Fame Member
May 8, 2011
Didn't we elect this guy to put us so deep in debt, Canada will never recover?

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
My Dad, were he still alive, would be nodding his head and saying........'I told you so.' He never forgave PET for the latter's treatment of the West and would have been among the first to sound a warning about the son.

'“I think that both people in Edmonton and Saskatchewan should be pleased that they are not hit as hard as other parts of the country and indeed the province have been,”

Just how hard hit is hard hit fps. If you don't have a job or any prospects for one in the near future; have a family to feed along with the mortgage; bills mounting up ........ wth does it matter where you live.

And now you have your PM telling you that you should be Pleased..........PLEASED! ........because other people in other provinces have it worse. Yeah, right. Unemployed and broke is unemployed and broke no matter what province you live in and the PM would do well to watch his tongue as he is furthering the divide between East and West with his thoughtless words.

Edit to add:

Meanwhile McCallum is out there promising all kinds of new goodies for refugees. I know that sounds petty but when I hear that Canadian citizens are in dire need of help but will not be getting it, that bothers me, a lot. I have been very supportive of the refugee program. I've sent the Red Cross money to help out as best I can. However, when your own people are left out in the rain while the umbrella is place over foreign heads - the optics don't look good.

The PM would do well to have a good hard look at his priorities.

Last edited:

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
A line was drawn. Areas with this unemployment rate fell this way. Those with less fell the other way. Edmonton and area fell on the lower unemployment line.

Has nothing to with east/west and everything to do with the numbers. If it was an east/west thing, then why even bother addressing it in the first place. The majority of Alberta falls on the higher side. Edmonton and area has come out lucky compared to other areas.

The only ones "furthering the divide" are those whining about the rules being followed.

BTW, they still qualify for EI, the waiting period isn't reduced or the entitlement extended like it is in areas with HIGHER unemployment rates.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
A line was drawn. Areas with this unemployment rate fell this way. Those with less fell the other way. Edmonton and area fell on the lower unemployment line.

Has nothing to with east/west and everything to do with the numbers. If it was an east/west thing, then why even bother addressing it in the first place. The majority of Alberta falls on the higher side. Edmonton and area has come out lucky compared to other areas.

The only ones "furthering the divide" are those whining about the rules being followed.

BTW, they still qualify for EI, the waiting period isn't reduced or the entitlement extended like it is in areas with HIGHER unemployment rates.

A political analyst on Power Play put it this way. The EI program is in trouble. The Liberals did not think this through properly and are now seen to have spent a good portion of the budget on the Atlantic provinces - who by the way voted Liberal - and are now left scraping the barrel. I'd say he has a pretty good take on the matter.

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.

Of course all the public union jobs in the Edmonton area are still intact hence providing the optics that employment and opportunity are just dandy there . From all I read that is hardly the case .

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
A political analyst on Power Play put it this way. The EI program is in trouble. The Liberals did not think this through properly and are now seen to have spent a good portion of the budget on the Atlantic provinces - who by the way voted Liberal - and are now left scraping the barrel. I'd say he has a pretty good take on the matter.

So, I gather he considers Edmonton to be the be all and end all for Alberta and the other 99% of the province (Calgary included) is worth no more than shyte. Or did we suddenly become part of the Atlantic provinces?

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
So, I gather he considers Edmonton to be the be all and end all for Alberta and the other 99% of the province (Calgary included) is worth no more than shyte. Or did we suddenly become part of the Atlantic provinces?

I'd say you have that backwards, gerry considering that he made sure to note that the Edmonton region will not be getting extended benefits. Were they the be all and end all, one might think they would have been included in the largess. But hey, other areas are so much more worse off.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
I'd say you have that backwards, gerry considering that he made sure to note that the Edmonton region will not be getting extended benefits. Were they the be all and end all, one might think they would have been included in the largess. But hey, other areas are so much more worse off.

You mentioned the Atlantic Provinces, do you know what the 12 areas that are getting the extended benefits are?

and I don't have it backwards, I was talking about your "analyst" choosing Edmonton and disregarding the rest of the province.