The magic of ‘ending homelessness’ — and ending up with more

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
Only a fool could ever have imagined that Edmonton or any other large city would "end homelessness," in 10 years or 20 or 30, except by means of fascist methods or wild, unforeseeable social change. Nevertheless, this sappy utopian vision got a bunch of now-superannuated Alberta politicians celebrated for their heroic vision-y-ness. No one is now eager to point out their humiliating total failure -- to point out that an entire professional class collectively promised the public something specific, and came nowhere close to delivering. They did not deliver half of what they promised. Not a quarter. Not a tenth.
There was a man in his 20's pan-handling just inside the lobby of the Walmart Monday evening. At the doors on the other side of the store was a listing of their job vacancies.

more

Colby Cosh: The magic of ‘ending homelessness’ — and ending up with more | National Post

Bar Sinister

Executive Branch Member
Jan 17, 2010
Edmonton
It can be done, it is just that it might take more than $600 million over ten years to do it. Apparently Utah has had much better success with its homeless plan Utah is Ending Homelessness by Giving People Homes | NationofChange
Here is a excerpt from the full article.

How did Utah accomplish this? Simple. Utah solved homelessness by giving people homes. In 2005, Utah figured out that the annual cost of E.R. visits and jail stays for homeless people was about $16,670 per person, compared to $11,000 to provide each homeless person with an apartment and a social worker. So, the state began giving away apartments, with no strings attached. Each participant in Utah’s Housing First program also gets a caseworker to help them become self-sufficient, but they keep the apartment even if they fail. The program has been so successful that other states are hoping to achieve similar results with programs modeled on Utah’s.
It sounds like Utah borrowed a page from Homes Not Handcuffs, the 2009 report by The National Law Center on Homelessness & Poverty and The National Coalition for the Homeless. Using a 2004 survey and anecdotal evidence from activists, the report concluded that permanent housing for the homeless is cheaper than criminalization. Housing is not only more human, it’s economical.
This happened in a Republican state! Republicans in Congress would probably have required the homeless to take a drug test before getting an apartment, denied apartments to homeless people with criminal records, and evicted those who failed to become self-sufficient after five years or so. But Utah’s results show that even conservative states can solve problems like homelessness with decidedly progressive solutions.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
Only a fool could ever have imagined that Edmonton or any other large city would "end homelessness," in 10 years or 20 or 30, except by means of fascist methods or wild, unforeseeable social change. Nevertheless, this sappy utopian vision got a bunch of now-superannuated Alberta politicians celebrated for their heroic vision-y-ness. No one is now eager to point out their humiliating total failure -- to point out that an entire professional class collectively promised the public something specific, and came nowhere close to delivering. They did not deliver half of what they promised. Not a quarter. Not a tenth.
There was a man in his 20's pan-handling just inside the lobby of the Walmart Monday evening. At the doors on the other side of the store was a listing of their job vacancies.

more

Colby Cosh: The magic of ‘ending homelessness’ — and ending up with more | National Post

I guess Colby is an idiot.

Medicine Hat becomes the first city in Canada to eliminate homelessness - Home | As It Happens | CBC Radio

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
Buying homeless people a bus ticket to BC does not end homelessness it just shifts the burden to some other taxpayer.

I see you're an even bigger idiot than Colby. Get someone to do some research for you, because obviously, you're too stupid to do it yourself.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
I see you're an even bigger idiot than Colby. Get someone to do some research for you, because obviously, you're too stupid to do it yourself.

Gerry you gotta stop talking about yourself in the third person. It just convinces anyone that didn't already know you are a moron.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
Gerry you gotta stop talking about yourself in the third person. It just convinces anyone that didn't already know you are a moron.

Like I said, You're obviously a bigger idiot than Colby. Medicine Hat took care of their homeless problem by housing all of them. Do a little research into when they started, what they did, what their timeline was, when they called it a success and what support they gave the people besides a roof over their head. Then maybe you wouldn't come across as such an idiot.

Dixie Cup

Senate Member
Sep 16, 2006
Edmonton
With the economy the way it is in Alberta, and people leaving to go back home or for other parts of Canada for work, the idea may work now. Prior to the downturn in the economy, finding a place to live was not easy and VERY expensive so I don't believe this would have worked at that time. Now, it may work as I'm guessing there's more housing available (thought I'm now sure how much). Building more housing to assist those who are homeless would certainly put more trades people and labourers back to work so it could be a win win situation.

This is what frustrates me most: Not doing things that have proven successful elsewhere because we think we can do it better! Not only in dealing with the homeless, but health care and education and it goes on and on. God forbid that we would "copy" success! We might actually save money, godforbid!!

JMHO

JMHO

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan

more

Being out on the prairies, I see that (for the most part) being
jobless for an extended period of time is a lifestyle choice.
Sometimes shyte happens though and people need a hand
up.

I'm at the grocery store two nights ago, and there's a dude out
front with a cardboard sign that says "Hungry. Need to feed my
Family." Maybe he's between falling on a bad situation and
being caught by the social safety net.

Some folks leaving might give him some change, etc....
I don't give money to panhandlers and such.

I come out of the grocery store with seven bags of stuff. I set
four of them down beside this guys feet. He gives me a hug &
we exchange a few words. It's about 8:30pm at this point.

I say to him, "That stuff's kind'a heavy. Do you live close or do
you need a ride?" as I've got my truck in the parking lot. There's
a dozen various cans of Chunky ring-pull soups and a big box
of Crackers (stick to your ribs type food) and four liter size juice
boxes that where on sale for 4/$5, and two reusable cloth bags
as they're hardier and distribute the weight better than plastic.

Guy say's, "Nah, that's OK. I'll just take a taxi when I'm done here
'cuz that's easier."

I wished him luck and headed for my truck thinking, you've got
money for a cab, and are begging for food? You could use that
cab money for more food another day if you took the ride offered.
Oh well, his family, if they exist, will eat well for a day or two.

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
Like I said, You're obviously a bigger idiot than Colby. Medicine Hat took care of their homeless problem by housing all of them. Do a little research into when they started, what they did, what their timeline was, when they called it a success and what support they gave the people besides a roof over their head. Then maybe you wouldn't come across as such an idiot.
You know for a supposed good Christian , you are the most intolerant poster and most vulgar poster on these boards .Maybe you should reread the new testament .

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
You know for a supposed good Christian , you are the most intolerant poster and most vulgar poster on these boards .Maybe you should reread the new testament .

Show where I have said I was a "good" Christian.

He ain't right...

What did "the Hat" do about addiction?

link to where I am wrong and how "the hat" hasn't taken care of their homeless problem.