Canadian official causes stir with ‘progressive’ speech at UN narcotics conference

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Canadian official causes stir with ‘progressive’ speech at UN narcotics conference

The Liberal government used its first foray into the global anti-narcotics arena this week to signal a clear shift from the war on drugs philosophy, promising more safe-injection sites, promoting “harm reduction” and touting its plan to legalize marijuana.

The speech by Hilary Geller, an assistant deputy minister of health, caused a stir at the generally staid Commission on Narcotic Drugs conference in Vienna, observers said.

The audience of government and non-governmental organization officials from around the world “erupted in applause” mid-way through the address and gave a prolonged ovation at the end, said Jason Nickerson, an Ottawa-based researcher who is attending the meeting.

The talk not only contrasted with the Harper government’s international stance on drugs, but stood out from the cautious pronouncements most other nations made, said the Bruyère Research Institute scientist, who favours more liberal policies.

“There are some countries here that are coming out and saying important, progressive things,” he said. “But it’s certainly not as explicit as what Canada is saying.”

Jinentonix

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 6, 2015
Olympus Mons
Awww how sweet. Of course this flies in the face of Trudeau flip-flopping on his promise to legalize pot. You know because of some international agreement Canada signed on to. And isn't that one of the things that's supposed to be so great about Trudeau, his commitment to live up to our international commitments?

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
What is it with Canadians and drugs? In the Eighties most Canadian athletes were doped up to the eyeballs and rattled when they ran.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
What is it with Canadians and drugs?

It might be that Canadians or at least the more enlightened among us realize that the war on drugs has done nothing to alleviate the problem. Maybe we realize that a different approach is needed. I applaud Canada for taking this new direction and considering the applause that met the announcement, more than a few in the room agreed.

In the Eighties most Canadian athletes were doped up to the eyeballs and rattled when they ran.
And just what does this bit of history have to do with the topic?

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
So are they going to legalize drugs or what?

I am planning a weed vaca and Canada is closer to me than Colorado.

Is the Canadian government going to open Opioid Stores where adults can buy and experiment with Oxy and Percs?

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
It demonstrates that Princess, rather than being a deliberate liar, is simply delusional.

Actually Tec, he is right. There were several Canadian athletes caught doping during the 80's, Ben Johnson being the most infamous of them. As far as I know, Canada has been squeaky clean from the late 90's onward which is why I got riled by BL's history note.

this is like so edgy, man.

This is like...........so overdue, man. :p

Angstrom

Hall of Fame Member
May 8, 2011
Awww how sweet. Of course this flies in the face of Trudeau flip-flopping on his promise to legalize pot. You know because of some international agreement Canada signed on to. And isn't that one of the things that's supposed to be so great about Trudeau, his commitment to live up to our international commitments?

Yes but he was part of the opposition when he said that. Now that he's part of a majority government, things change.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
So are they going to legalize drugs or what?

I am planning a weed vaca and Canada is closer to me than Colorado.

Is the Canadian government going to open Opioid Stores where adults can buy and experiment with Oxy and Percs?

No, but they may open shops that carry ganja and hash. I wish they would just let us grow a couple of plants ourselves.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
Time long ago to legalize pot don't use it myself but its no big deal
The real money is in hemp. That is the topic that should be pushed since modern technology and hemp is a brand new industry in Canada. Make the clothes for the welfare recipients and one pair of jreans will last a year or two. (let alone what can be produced for the work and recreation industries) Surely that type of conversation would not be objectional to you, or the fact that legal pot would supply more tax revenus than booze and tobbacco combined. People who have nothing to do are happier if they are a bit high on pot, be it smoking or a brownie. Having them happier should make you happier if you were a happy person to begin with, which you areen't even though you seem to have accomplished what was promoted as being what made you a 'success' in Canada.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
Actually Tec, he is right. There were several Canadian athletes caught doping during the 80's, Ben Johnson being the most infamous of them. As far as I know, Canada has been squeaky clean from the late 90's onward which is why I got riled by BL's history note.

This is like...........so overdue, man. :p

Except for the snowboarder that won a while back after smoking a joint. Which should't really count since pot is not known as a performance enhancing drug.