Anti-BDS Motion – Why Does Canada not Sanction

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
The international community, speaking through the United Nations, has identified three regimes as inimical to human rights – colonialism, apartheid and foreign occupation… Israel’s occupation of the West Bank, Gaza and East Jerusalem contains elements of all three of these regimes”. – John Dugard, UN’s former Special Rapporteur for Human Rights in the Occupied Palestinian Territories.
This week, the Canadian Parliament overwhelmingly voted in favour of a motion condemning the Boycott, Divestment and Sanctions (BDS) movement against Israel.
The motion, passed on February 22 by a 229-51 vote, states:
“That, given Canada and Israel share a long history of friendship as well as economic and diplomatic relations, the House reject the Boycott, Divestment and Sanctions (BDS) movement, which promotes the demonization and delegitimization of the State of Israel, and call upon the government to condemn any and all attempts by Canadian organizations, groups or individuals to promote the BDS movement, both here at home and abroad.”
First, there is no such thing as “friendship” between states. States have no friends, they have interests and nothing else.
Second, the BDS movement does not promote “the demonization and delegitimization of the State of Israel,” as the motion puts it, in a very unfactual and questionable manner. The BDS movement promotes international law and Palestinian rights and condemns Israel’s total lack of respect for both.
Despite its emotional and propagandist wording, the motion completely fails to hide the fact that it condemns criticism of human rights violations by Israel. This calls for some explanations.
By condemning a peaceful movement that tries to bring Israel to account, Canada expresses its total disregard for human rights and international law and its sheer hypocrisy when faced with human rights violations.
There are currently 22 states targeted by Canadian sanctions, several of them for human rights violations. And Israel, being Canada’s “friend”, is not one of them, even if the sanctioned countries’ misdeeds pale in comparison to the death and destruction Israel has imposed on Palestinians for decades.
While not one sanction has been imposed on Israel for its war crimes and crimes against humanity, some countries have been sanctioned by Canada simply for “misappropriating state funds.”
There are no words to describe the scale of this hypocrisy, but, we don’t need any since the facts speak for themselves. Before looking at the list of sanctioned countries and the reasons behind their sanctions, it is worth mentioning only a few facts about Israel.
As mentioned in the quote above, Israel’s policies and practices violate the most fundamental human rights of the Palestinians. The Hebrew state has been the subject of at least 77 UN resolutions since 1955, and has been criticized in at least 26 resolutions for its violations of U.N. Security Council resolutions.
In July 2015, a report by Amnesty International found “compelling evidence of serious violations of international humanitarian law by

Anti-BDS Motion – Why Does Canada Sanction Other Countries for Human Rights Violations but Not Israel? | Global Research - Centre for Research on Globalization

Angstrom

Hall of Fame Member
May 8, 2011
Because we recognize that they owned it in the first place and got their land stolen. And now we support them in taking it back.

See how simple that was.
God your a idiot for not understanding this.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
Because we recognize that they owned it in the first place and got their land stolen. And now we support them in taking it back.

See how simple that was.
God your a idiot for not understanding this.

Your one of my favorite posters. How you doin Angst? Of course your perspective is substantially correct. I hope you can understand my superior perspective. If there were any land thieves they've been dead for cen turies, give it the fuk up.

I have vacation money, and I've decided to punish Israel by touring Russia this spring.

I have vacation money, and I've decided to punish Israel by touring Russia this spring.

Angstrom

Hall of Fame Member
May 8, 2011
Your one of my favorite posters. How you doin Angst? Of course your perspective is substantially correct. I hope you can understand my superior perspective. If there were any land thieves they've been dead for cen turies, give it the fuk up.

It's all a matter of perspective.

Since my ancestors needed help with winning ww1 and the Jew's helped us, I'm going to support their land claim to their original homelands. Because I might not even existe if we had not Won that war.

As for the long dead Muslim thieves. Bet they didn't think that the Jew's would come back and kick the **** out of their descendants did they? They should have thought it out before invading. Sucks to be them. Live and learn.

Enjoy your vacation!

I'm going to Disney world.