Introduce sugar tax, ban food and drink ads for kids: Senate obesity report

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Woah, the senate actually farted out a good idea for once.

A new Senate report on Canada's obesity crisis is calling for a tax on sugary drinks, a ban on food and drink advertising aimed at children and government subsidies for healthy food.

The report titled Obesity in Canada makes 21 recommendations in total for dealing with Canada's obesity crisis, including a call for the federal government to rewrite Canada's food guide without any input from the food and beverage industries.

But almost as soon as the Senate's prescription for a healthier Canada hit the internet there were objections to the notion of a sugar tax.

"The only thing a sugar tax will make thinner are Canadians' wallets," said Aaron Wudrick, the federal director of the Canadian Taxpayers Federation, in a release. "Good intentions do not always translate into good policy, and the record of these types of taxes in other jurisdiction leaves much to be desired."

The Canadian Beverage Association was also quick to reject the recommendation from the Senate saying that taxing drinks, without taxing the sugar in other foods, would not support the goal of a healthier public.

"This has been tried in other jurisdictions and it has failed. It didn't reduce obesity. It increased the price of groceries, and resulted in job losses in the food and beverage sector," said Jim Goetz, president of the Canadian Beverage Association, in a release.

Introduce sugar tax, ban food and drink ads for kids: Senate obesity report - Politics - CBC News

Nick Danger

Council Member
Jul 21, 2013
Penticton, BC
Mexico introduced a 10% additional tax on sugary drinks in January of 2014, recently released results show that soda sales are off by at least twelve percent since then. Mexico has the highest per capita consumption of sugary drinks in the world and that is translating to an unusually high incidence of obesity and diabetes. Pop and some juices, being one of the major offenders when it comes to having too much sugar in diets, seems like a logical starting point if the aim is to modify dietary habits. Drinks using alternative sweeteners in Mexico are exempt from the tax.

Scooby

Electoral Member
Mar 22, 2012
Alberta
Tax on tobacco products has helped convince some people to quit and those who continue to smoke help pay for additional health care requirements.
The same logic should seem to work in this case.

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC

Or hey how about a better solution? It's a plan I've been working on for the past 30+ years of my life and conducted extensive research which guarantees success.

I call it the "Get your Fk'n kids off their *** and go outside to play" plan.

It sounds complicated but it is based off of a system that has been used in ancient times for at least since the dawn of written history.

Here's how it works:

You walk into your living room and see your kid playing Call of Duty on their XBox. You then go up to them, smack em once, real hard, in the back of the head. While they are confused, turn the TV off, grab the controller, point your finger towards the front door and sternly say, "Get the Fk off your ***, go outside to play!"

An interesting thing I found in my studies is that in the early, mid and even the late 1900's, there were still piles of sugar, unhealthy food and commercials aimed at kids, yet there also wasn't a huge issue with fat kids as there is today. That's because kids back then we're lucky to have three channels of TV shows to watch which were mostly all boring until close to bed time or they were stuck listening to their parent's boring dramas on the AM radio. Kids in droves would flock to the streets and the outdoors to play with their friends and use their imaginations to keep themselves active. Whatever crap food they ate was quickly burned off.

I know it's mind boggling to think that things were like that at one time, but it's true.

For those interested in learning more I will have a book published in the next few months describing in detail what to do. It will contain one chapter and that chapter will contain about 1-2 pages. It will be on sale in your favorite book store for $19.99..... £80 for Blackleaf though.

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Can we let the kids smack their parents when they're watching Game of Thrones?

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
Or hey how about a better solution? It's a plan I've been working on for the past 30+ years of my life and conducted extensive research which guarantees success.

I call it the "Get your Fk'n kids off their *** and go outside to play" plan.

It sounds complicated but it is based off of a system that has been used in ancient times for at least since the dawn of written history.

Here's how it works:

You walk into your living room and see your kid playing Call of Duty on their XBox. You then go up to them, smack em once, real hard, in the back of the head. While they are confused, turn the TV off, grab the controller, point your finger towards the front door and sternly say, "Get the Fk off your ***, go outside to play!"

An interesting thing I found in my studies is that in the early, mid and even the late 1900's, there were still piles of sugar, unhealthy food and commercials aimed at kids, yet there also wasn't a huge issue with fat kids as there is today. That's because kids back then we're lucky to have three channels of TV shows to watch which were mostly all boring until close to bed time or they were stuck listening to their parent's boring dramas on the AM radio. Kids in droves would flock to the streets and the outdoors to play with their friends and use their imaginations to keep themselves active. Whatever crap food they ate was quickly burned off.

I know it's mind boggling to think that things were like that at one time, but it's true.

For those interested in learning more I will have a book published in the next few months describing in detail what to do. It will contain one chapter and that chapter will contain about 1-2 pages. It will be on sale in your favorite book store for $19.99..... £80 for Blackleaf though.
Make your kids go out and play unsupervised and some dogooder will be calling social services on you.

With blackie's attitude towards women I don't think we need ever worry about him and parenting.

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC
That's the whole point of this thread, isn't it?

Seems like the whole point of this thread is to overcomplicate a simple problem using extensive concepts that would never solve the original problem.

So let's say you do raise taxes on junk food and you ban kids commercials for junk food (don't know how that will help the fat parents who watch Game of Thrones though).....

You still have inactive kids sitting on their fat @sses, playing on their phones or playing games, doing nothing.

Then they have all the sugar and fatty food removed from their diet and they still sit around doing nothing. When you tell them to go play, they will complain that they're too tired and get dizzy when they stand because their lunch time meal of three kidney beans and a slice of tofu between two slices of high fibre / low GI grain bread didn't give them enough energy to blink properly.

So parents throw their hands in the air and let them keep playing games and staring at their phones all day. They then complain to the government that it's someone else's fault their kids are all screwed up more than before, so the government introduces more lunatic laws and taxes while still not addressing the real problem.

And the real problem are the parents for being failures and not getting more involved in their kids life. Sticking a phone or a game in their face is easier and gives the parent more free time for themselves without having to listen to their kid whine and moan all day..... You know, as if they didn't want to be parents or something and being one ruins their grove.

The problem isn't about eating crap food. The problem is not doing anything active to burn it off.

If you sit on your @ss all day doing nothing physical, you eating just the basic food groups recommended will make you fat.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
Seems like the whole point of this thread is to overcomplicate a simple problem using extensive concepts that would never solve the original problem

That is the bureaucratic way. Think of all the government jobs involved in telling kids to go play an then tend to their hurt feelings afterwards.

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
How did the big soda ban work out for bloomberg in New York?
How did prohibition work?
Ban sugar and legalize marijuana
Your kids will be skinny and loopy...

This is the "prog" methodology.....Something you don't personally like??
Introduce a new law or a ban

What's the common denominator in those photos.....