25,000th Syrian refugee lands in Canada

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
A remarkable achievement.

25,000th Syrian refugee lands in Canada

A plane touched down in Montreal on Saturday night carrying the 25,000th Syrian refugee to arrive in Canada since November.

It marks the end of the first phase of the resettlement program launched by the Liberal government shortly after taking office.

There was little fanfare on Saturday to mark the milestone, but Immigration Minister John McCallum is scheduled to give an update about the resettlement program in Toronto on Monday.

McCallum is expected to outline what actions the program will take in the future.

Officials with Citizenship and Immigration Canada had anticipated reaching the milestone at some point over the weekend, but were unclear exactly when given uncertainty about how many refugees board each flight.

Reaching the 25,000-figure represents an important step for the Liberal government, which made an election promise of resettling that many people fleeing the civil war in Syria.

The Liberals had initially promised to reach the goal by the end of 2015, but that was pushed to the end of February once they took power.

Of the 25,000 who have now arrived, more than half will have their costs covered by the government in their first year, with the rest supported by private groups or a mix of the two.

In the coming days, the new group of arrivals will spread to eight different provinces, joining those who've arrived in Canada since the government launched their Syrian refugee plan in November.

25,000th Syrian refugee lands in Canada - Montreal - CBC News

Jinentonix

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 6, 2015
Olympus Mons
So remarkable. We rushed a bunch of people here who already had a place to live in many cases. And we managed to import the same number in 4 months that we usually do over the course of an entire year. Naturally we can assume they were all properly vetted during the Libtard's rush to make themselves look good.

Funny how they were supposed to be an economic boon to us and yet how many are illiterate? How many have zero working knowledge of either language? How many are completely unskilled when it comes to employment prospects? Wayyyyy too many to be a benefit to anyone but those pandering to the immigrant vote.

JamesBondo

House Member
Mar 3, 2012
25,000 would have made one hell of a dent in the refugee camp of 80,000+ refugees. The liberals don't seem too concerned about the ones that are still in camps.

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
Our local Anglican Church parish, as well as their neighbouring ones are sponsoring refugee families. Ours as a 27 year old widow with a 3 year old and a 20 month old. Father died in the war under circumstances unknown to us. She is in a camp in Turkey, already processed by the Canadian government and ready to go. Something has happened, though. There are members of her extended family (male, for sure) insisting that they have some sort of ownership over her and demanding that they be let in, as well. As you can well imagine, a 27 year old Syrian mother is probably not at all worldly and she is getting flack from the same extended family about coming to a totally unknown place like Canada ( Maybe, her relatives are trying to get to Germany?) Anyway, the poor young woman doesn't know what to do. It is a massive leap of faith to come to a completely alien place ( or so she believes). Rest assured that the vetting process is working and she will not be allowed to enter accompanied by "insisting" relatives. She won the lottery. She will be sponsored by a rich and generous Church group in one of the nicest and most peaceful towns in North America and she is balking. If she does, it is probably the biggest mistake that she will ever make.

Last edited:

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
Our local Anglican Church parish, as well as their neighbouring ones are sponsoring refugee families. Ours as a 27 year old widow with a 3 year old and a 20 month old. Father died in the war under circumstances unknown to us. She is in a csmp in Turkey, already processed by the Canadisn government and ready to go. Something has happened, though. There are members of her extended family (male, for sure) insisting that they have some sort of ownership over her and demanding that they be let in, as well. As you can well imagine, a 27 year old Syrian mother is probably not at all worldly and she is getting flack from the same extended family about coming to a totally unknown place like Canada ( Maybe, her relatives are trying to get to Germany?) Anyway, the poor young woman doesn't know what to do. It is a massive leap of faith to come to a completely alien place ( or so she believes). Rest assured that the vetting process is working and she will not be allowed to enter accompanied by "insisting" relatives. She won the lottery. She will be sponsored by a rich and generous Church group in one of the nicest and most peaceful towns in North America and she is balking. If she does, it is probably the biggest mistake that she will ever make.

It must be so scary for her. I hope she chooses to come to Canada on her own. It can only get better for her and her child. If she can break free from those trying to control her, then the biggest battle is over and she'll do just fine.

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
It must be so scary for her. I hope she chooses to come to Canada on her own. It can only get better for her and her child. If she can break free from those trying to control her, then the biggest battle is over and she'll do just fine.

I will keep you posted.

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
If stuck in such a predicament, her life sure as sh-t isn't in danger.

That is true. The danger lies behind them, back when her husband was killed. I couldn't tell you what the conditions are like in that camp in Turkey but I'm sure that they are dismal. That she is near the top of thec list for evacuation tells me something indirectly that perhaps her life isn't too good or she would not be trying to leave. I doubt that anyone in immediate danger is coming here. The vetting process takes time and it ain't going to happen under an imminent threat of rocket attack.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
I guarantee there are more appreciative refugee applicants from Guatemala who have it far worse and would love to be on the list let alone wooble over whether or not to take advantage of the opportunity.

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
I guarantee there are more appreciative refugee applicants from Guatemala who have it far worse and would love to be on the list let alone wooble over whether or not to take advantage of the opportunity.

So, don't sponsor anybody, then? You know better who is worthy of our assistance? Or is it, don't assist anybody?
What is your message?

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
What should Canada have done differently?

Should we have left them all in Europe and left them to deal with them all?

Canadian gov't does have to consider what NOT doing this would look like on the world stage.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
What should Canada have done differently?
Used less idiocy in their promises and more real thought.

While JT and company were claiming they could achieve their achievement, aid groups, the sitting govt and people with more than 3 brain cells were saying no you can't.

And of course they couldn't.

Canadian gov't does have to consider what NOT doing this would look like on the world stage.
I'm glad you see that the present govt went through this exercise in stupidity simply for good optics, not to aid people in crisis.

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
As an aside, my family started migrating to this place 314 years ago and in that time, I can identify four sets of refugees in my forbarers. Two of them escaped religiously based genocides in France and Germany. Another was from an ethnic cleansing and a forth set were war refugees on this continent. There is no indication whatsoever, that any of the ancient people already here were anything less that helpful and inviting. It the last case, we were refugees together with Six Nations neighbours (and in-laws!).

I teach my children all of that. We have it all happening again in real time and I want them to understand their roots.

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
Used less idiocy in their promises and more real thought.

While JT and company were claiming they could achieve their achievement, aid groups, the sitting govt and people with more than 3 brain cells were saying no you can't.

And of course they couldn't.

I'm glad you see that the present govt went through this exercise in stupidity simply for good optics, not to aid people in crisis.

So, maybe Canada should have invested in Europes ability to cope first? And then gone about the importation in a less hurried fashion?

I like that Canada did what it could to help. I'm afraid that what's going on in Europe will come here. I don't know if I will have the ability or means of helping to prevent it.

As an aside, my family started migrating to this place 314 years ago and in that time, I can identify four sets of refugees in my forbarers. Two of them escaped religiously based genocides in France and Germany. Another was from an ethnic cleansing and a forth set were war refugees on this continent. There is no indication whatsoever, that any of the ancient people already here were anything less that helpful and inviting. It the last case, we were refugees together with Six Nations neighbours (and in-laws!).

I teach my children all of that. We have it all happening again in real time and I want them to understand their roots.

Wow, that's excellent. I only have history from my mom's side and my dad mom. My father's father is a huge mystery. My grandmother had troubles keeping her skirts down and got pregnant at 17. Gave my dad to her sister's husband. She later went on to have several other children, all with different dads, but no word about the father of her first. I'm a pretty curious person and it just about kills me not knowing anything about this person history.

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
Seems to me she doesn't want your help. Offer it to a Guatemalan or Haitian who don't have a camp to live in.

She's a completely innocent young woman who comes from a patriarchy that does not allow women to learn about the world or anything else, for that matter. Do you think that she is making an informed decision?

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
So, maybe Canada should have invested in Europes ability to cope first? And then gone about the importation in a less hurried fashion?
It would be nice if the govt didn't make silly see through promises, that only morons believed.

I like that Canada did what it could to help.
So do I, it would be nice if they stopped trying to build cultural ghettos and multi tiered healthcare systems in conjunction though.

I'm afraid that what's going on in Europe will come here.
It's a possibility. Especially when you don't require the mass influx of new comers to integrate, and take steps to ensure the creation of cultural ghettos, as the Liberals are doing.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Yeeeeeeeah right. She has been without TV and literature her whole life. Even in the deepest darkest most distant Siberian gulag they have Playboy magazines but she is 100% clueless of the world.