Kevin O'Leary wants to become a Liberal

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
No wonder CDNBear likes him so much.

Kevin O'Leary hints at possible run for Liberal Party leadership

Forget about the colour of #TheDress — is former Dragon's Den personality and businessman Kevin O'Leary red or blue?

In a television interview with Reshmi Nair on CBC News, O'Leary, who earlier talked about running for the federal Conservative Party leadership, said he does not rule out running for the Liberals.

"I don't think the old political brands will matter in the next election," O'Leary said, adding he is a member of the "Canadian tax payer party" and will speak on behalf of all Canadians.

"I can choose which party to actually run in because I think there will be a leadership race in the Liberal Party," he said.

O'Leary said he wants to change Canada's fiscal and economic policies because they are "broken and failing the taxpayer."

When asked by Nair whether he can do business in both official languages, long seen as a litmus test for aspiring prime ministers, O'Leary said he cannot.

"I was terrible in school in French. I failed every time I tried," he said, adding he spoke "the language of jobs."

"But I don't think that is going to matter," he said. "People tell me you can't win an election if you don't speak [French]. I think if you speak jobs and the economy you can win every election."

O'Leary also rebuffed comparisons of him and Donald Trump, the ex-reality TV star and businessman currently campaigning to be the Republican candidate in the upcoming U.S. presidential election.

"We both enjoy success in reality television," O'Leary said, "but that's where comparisons end. What Trump is doing in the United States has nothing to do with the challenges in Canada."

Kevin O'Leary hints at possible run for Liberal Party leadership - Politics - CBC News

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
No wonder CDNBear likes him so much.

Kevin O'Leary hints at possible run for Liberal Party leadership

Forget about the colour of #TheDress — is former Dragon's Den personality and businessman Kevin O'Leary red or blue?

Kevin O'Leary hints at possible run for Liberal Party leadership - Politics - CBC News

What's not to like about Kevin O'Leary? Upon reading some biographical material about him, it seems everything he's touched has been a success. HIs mother taught him some sound money managing principals. Given that successful politics depends on sound money management, he is probably "just the ticket" for running the country. Which party he aligns himself with is probably irrelevant. He wouldn't spend too much time having pictures of himself taken. If Bear likes him I'd say that is a feather in Bear's cap! :) :)

Canada's " Donald Trump "

Who cares? He'd likely pull us out of debt.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
What did he make up there cockbreath ?
Oh my, "cockbreath".

I'm not sure what I find funnier, the anger that consumes you, or the fact that you use homophobic (You know Harper was a homophobe) slurs in failed attempts to inflict hurt.

Either, or, you always make me laugh at you.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
What's not to like about Kevin O'Leary? Upon reading some biographical material about him, it seems everything he's touched has been a success.

You're obviously not reading about the same O'Leary.

This guy is a fraud and a flake. His track record of business success is fantasy.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
You're obviously not reading about the same O'Leary.

This guy is a fraud and a flake. His track record of business success is fantasy.

I'm talking about the guy was on the Dragon's Den &/or Shark Tank and THAT Kevin O'Leary is definitely no fraud/flake! :) I

bobnoorduyn

Council Member
Nov 26, 2008
Mountain Veiw County
He's just your average, every day elitist rich guy.

You forgot to include successful and, "quite", (for rich). In any case, I'm not too sure I would want him as my PM no matter which party he represents. I'm sure he would do the country well fiscally, but my fear is that he may be another "illiberal of the "liberal" crowd. Just a changing of the guard of the "liberal" orthodoxy. I may be wrong, but I see him as susceptible to the influence of the civil disarmament movement, he has already said he is agreeable to the idea of airlines charging passengers by weight rather than by seat. On the surface there appears to be no parallel, but there is a psychopathy there that I can't put my finger on that causes me unease. He may well be more of a libertarian, but I get a rather uneasy feeling just the same.

The closest I got to him was sitting next to him on a quick flight from Ottawa to Montreal, when he got to get up to leave even before we stopped at the gate, (anyone who travels a lot has seen it, and knows they type who does it, and they aren't usually in the J class cabin, even the rig workers with oodles of Aeroplan points), it gave me a bit of a start. I gave him the stare, he sat down again until the seat belt sign was turned off.

I may be totally out in left field, (baseball term), but I just get the wrong vibe.