RCMP culture of bullying at root of harassment allegations, commissioner says

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010

The RCMP must target its culture of bullying and intimidation to eliminate sexual harassment in the workplace, Commissioner Bob Paulson says.

Speaking at the Commons public safety committee Tuesday for the first time since CBC News revealed several incidents of sexual harassment at the Canadian Police College in Ottawa, Paulson insisted the force is dealing with those and other allegations of misconduct.

"Yeah, we had a bullying problem, there is no question about that, and we are working on that, and recent events notwithstanding, I am here to tell you we are doing better at it," he said.

"It can't be understood as a sexual harassment problem — sexual harassment has no place in the organization, don't get me wrong — but it's the culture of bullying and intimidation and general harassment which I think needs everyone's focus and attention."

RCMP culture of bullying at root of harassment allegations, commissioner says - Politics - CBC News

Scooby

Electoral Member
Mar 22, 2012
Alberta
The whole concept of authority appeals to bullies, so the "culture" is not well described as being at the root but rather simply just the cause.
Calling it the root makes it so sound hidden and undetected, good spin.

personal touch

House Member
Sep 17, 2014
alberta/B.C.
The whole concept of authority appeals to bullies, so the "culture" is not well described as being at the root but rather simply just the cause.
Calling it the root makes it so sound hidden and undetected, good spin.
this is the first thing i thought of,well their was two things ,"spin" and "soft"

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
I'm an RCMP baby, we saved Canada from communism. Being beaten by a cartridge belt for a while instilled some regulation to yer thinking. It wasn't that bad, I lived easily, as a chip

The RCMP must target its culture of bullying and intimidation to eliminate sexual harassment in the workplace, Commissioner Bob Paulson says.

Speaking at the Commons public safety committee Tuesday for the first time since CBC News revealed several incidents of sexual harassment at the Canadian Police College in Ottawa, Paulson insisted the force is dealing with those and other allegations of misconduct.

"Yeah, we had a bullying problem, there is no question about that, and we are working on that, and recent events notwithstanding, I am here to tell you we are doing better at it," he said.

"It can't be understood as a sexual harassment problem — sexual harassment has no place in the organization, don't get me wrong — but it's the culture of bullying and intimidation and general harassment which I think needs everyone's focus and attention."

RCMP culture of bullying at root of harassment allegations, commissioner says - Politics - CBC News

My father was an officer in the RCMP. So far there has been no mention of the actual mounts of thee famous Mountys. Yellow strippers, good fellows in the day gone by

personal touch

House Member
Sep 17, 2014
alberta/B.C.
I'm an RCMP baby, we saved Canada from communism. Being beaten by a cartridge belt for a while instilled some regulation to yer thinking. It wasn't that bad, I lived easily, as a chip

My father was an officer in the RCMP. So far there has been no mention of the actual mounts of thee famous Mountys. Yellow strippers, good fellows in the day gone by
is this you JImmy?

personal touch

House Member
Sep 17, 2014
alberta/B.C.
no picture of JJ,just met him once or twice,saw him from a far many times before,loved his look,loved his generosity,finally became lightly acquainted,your stories are similar to JJ's,being a RCMP travelling child,interesting life.
how come you have lived so long?what is your secret?