Imagine the news you’ll get if Notley decides who can and can’t report

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
All budding totalitarians know that if you can't control the press, you can't control the masses.

NDP seeking to muzzle opposing journalists

Outrageous is an overused word in politics, but this is truly outrageous.

Former Sun Media columnist and Sun News Network host Ezra Levant’s new online news site, The Rebel (therebel.media), has become one of Albertans’ top Internet sources of reporting and commentary in just its first year in operation.

So how come Rachel Notley’s NDP government is doing its best to censor Levant and his reporters?

If I hadn’t read for myself the letters back and forth between the Rebel’s lawyer and the government, I wouldn’t have believed even the NDP were capable of such anti-free speech behaviour.

Back in late January when it was announcing the results of its royalty review, the NDP held a closed-door technical briefing (a “lock-up”) where government experts explained the details to journalists.

When Rebel contributor Sheila Gunn Reid showed up for the briefing, she was turned away. The event was for “accredited media only.”

Now Reid never went to journalism school. (Neither did I.) And she has never worked in a formal newsroom. But she used to be part of the Corus radio network’s Hockey Moms panel that regularly debated government involvement in family issues and her new book was the #1 bestseller on Amazon.ca most of last week. It’s now sold out.

If that doesn’t make Reid a journalist, I’m not sure what does.

The NDP government doesn’t question the legitimacy (nor should it) of online lefty journalists such as David Climenhaga of the NDP-friendly rabble.ca or Dave Cournoyer, a communications advisor for the United Nurses of Alberta, whose daveberta.ca blog is a must-read on Edmonton and Alberta politics.

So why single out Reid?

It couldn’t be, could it, that Reid’s bestseller is entitled The Destroyers: Rachel Notley and the NDP's War on Alberta, or that Reid and her boss (Levant) were among the first journalists to out the radical, out-of-province pasts of many senior political staffers in the NDP government?

But it gets worse.

mo

NDP seeking to muzzle opposing journalists | GUNTER | Columnists | Opinion | Edm

Is there a "fee" involved to become "accredited" ? https://albertandp.nationbuilder.com/join_the_ndp

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
Read that too...
The left is all for free speech and free press as long as they say what they approve....they can't stand criticism....has to be muzzled!

Bar Sinister

Executive Branch Member
Jan 17, 2010
Edmonton
It's Lorne Gunter. The last time he told the complete truth in an article was when he was in high school. The man is another sad little right winger railing against events he can't control. Had to laugh that he thinks a radio panel structured to emulate Sarah Palin's Stone Age ranting is considered to be composed of accredited journalists.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
You have to love the progs, they just love curtailing rights and freedoms. Funny, the last time I heard about a lawsuit and a news outlet in the same sentence with the NDP, the NDP was threatening to sue the Sun. For the unmitigated gall of reporting the news. And of course the NDP idiocy was supported by our Flossy.

They never did of course, because they would have lost, like the AB NDP will here.

What kind of idiot votes for these morans? Oh ya, molly addicts.

It's Lorne Gunter. The last time he told the complete truth in an article was when he was in high school. The man is another sad little right winger railing against events he can't control. Had to laugh that he thinks a radio panel structured to emulate Sarah Palin's Stone Age ranting is considered to be composed of accredited journalists.
And once again you dismiss the story because of the source. And again, you embarrass yourself.

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
How does Gunter reporting on an actual event that had witnesses, make him a liar?
Or are you one of those leftoids that can't stand criticism?

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
How does Gunter reporting on an actual event that had witnesses, make him a liar?
Or are you one of those leftoids that can't stand criticism?
Can you believe Bar Sinister was allowed to teach kids? I wouldn't let that mangled brain near my dog, let alone my kids. He's so bass ackwards he sets critical thought back a millennia.

Bar Sinister

Executive Branch Member
Jan 17, 2010
Edmonton
You have to love the progs, they just love curtailing rights and freedoms. Funny, the last time I heard about a lawsuit and a news outlet in the same sentence with the NDP, the NDP was threatening to sue the Sun. For the unmitigated gall of reporting the news. And of course the NDP idiocy was supported by our Flossy.

They never did of course, because they would have lost, like the AB NDP will here.

What kind of idiot votes for these morans? Oh ya, molly addicts.

And once again you dismiss the story because of the source. And again, you embarrass yourself.

At least I have no problem distinguishing between a legitimate source and BS - a skill you've never managed to acquire.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
At least I have no problem distinguishing between a legitimate source and BS - a skill you've never managed to acquire.
Once again you have posted a perfect example of your utter ignorance. I can only imagine the damage you've done to generations of kids.

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Ezra needs to sue because he can't afford a real studio.

eh1eh

Blah Blah Blah
Aug 31, 2006
Under a Lone Palm
All budding totalitarians know that if you can't control the press, you can't control the masses.

NDP seeking to muzzle opposing journalists

Outrageous is an overused word in politics, but this is truly outrageous.

Former Sun Media columnist and Sun News Network host Ezra Levant’s new online news site, The Rebel (therebel.media), has become one of Albertans’ top Internet sources of reporting and commentary in just its first year in operation.

So how come Rachel Notley’s NDP government is doing its best to censor Levant and his reporters?

If I hadn’t read for myself the letters back and forth between the Rebel’s lawyer and the government, I wouldn’t have believed even the NDP were capable of such anti-free speech behaviour.

Back in late January when it was announcing the results of its royalty review, the NDP held a closed-door technical briefing (a “lock-up”) where government experts explained the details to journalists.

When Rebel contributor Sheila Gunn Reid showed up for the briefing, she was turned away. The event was for “accredited media only.”

Now Reid never went to journalism school. (Neither did I.) And she has never worked in a formal newsroom. But she used to be part of the Corus radio network’s Hockey Moms panel that regularly debated government involvement in family issues and her new book was the #1 bestseller on Amazon.ca most of last week. It’s now sold out.

If that doesn’t make Reid a journalist, I’m not sure what does.

The NDP government doesn’t question the legitimacy (nor should it) of online lefty journalists such as David Climenhaga of the NDP-friendly rabble.ca or Dave Cournoyer, a communications advisor for the United Nurses of Alberta, whose daveberta.ca blog is a must-read on Edmonton and Alberta politics.

So why single out Reid?

It couldn’t be, could it, that Reid’s bestseller is entitled The Destroyers: Rachel Notley and the NDP's War on Alberta, or that Reid and her boss (Levant) were among the first journalists to out the radical, out-of-province pasts of many senior political staffers in the NDP government?

But it gets worse.

mo

NDP seeking to muzzle opposing journalists | GUNTER | Columnists | Opinion | Edm

Is there a "fee" involved to become "accredited" ? https://albertandp.nationbuilder.com/join_the_ndp

Hey. Just like Harpo. Congrats Rach.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
This is nothing new. Governments have always restricted news conferences to accredited journalists. You or I can not call ourselves "journalists" and walk into a news conference. Levant wants in, then he needs to stop crying and get accreditation. I have my doubts that he will stop crying/whining, it's what he's best at.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
This is nothing new. Governments have always restricted news conferences to accredited journalists. You or I can not call ourselves "journalists" and walk into a news conference. Levant wants in, then he needs to stop crying and get accreditation. I have my doubts that he will stop crying/whining, it's what he's best at.
That must be why they don't question the accreditation of left wing online "journalists" friendly to the NDP, who have lessor pedigrees than Levant.

Why the Premier of Alberta shouldn’t get to decide who is ‘media’ - The Globe and Mail

Even The G&M thinks the NDP is out to lunch.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
It's only Levant who was kicked out because not a reporter.
In a free society, the term “media” must be loosely defined in order to limit restrictions on speech. The Globe and Mail.

I'm already well aware of your advocating for stifling freedom of expression/press. It's one of the reasons I mock you so much.