Canada, U.S. and Mexico sign Green Energy NAFTA Deal

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
'an emphasis on low carbon'

Clean-energy deal being signed today 1st step to green NAFTA

Emphasis of trilateral agreement will be on a 'low-carbon future' for North America

Canada, the United States and Mexico will sign a trilateral agreement Friday that could mark the start of discussions on the first North American accord on climate change and clean energy.

CBCNews.ca is carrying the event live starting at 10:30 a.m. ET.

Natural Resources Minister Jim Carr, U.S. Secretary of Energy Ernest Moniz and Mexico's secretary of energy, Pedro Joaquín Coldwell, will sign a memorandum of understanding on North American climate change and energy collaboration, CBC News has learned.

The energy ministers met Thursday in Winnipeg ahead of the official signing Friday morning.

Sources tell CBC News the emphasis will be on a "low-carbon future" for North America. This essentially kickstarts the detailed, behind the scenes work needed for a continent-wide agreement that will enable all three countries to work together on clean energy and options to reduce greenhouse gas emissions.

Clean-energy deal being signed today 1st step to green NAFTA - Politics - CBC News

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
I wonder if this will be like Kyoto!

Has Canada got around to paying the billions owed yet?

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
So why is Wynne dumping money in them and recharging stations even with sales plummeting by 50%?

Because there is still room for other players and Ontario has set itself up to lead in renewables.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Are you high? Only a complete and total moron would invest in a product that lost 50% of sales in just one year.

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
That's less revenue than what has been lost from oil in the last quarter.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Are you high? Only a complete and total moron would invest in a product that lost 50% of sales in just one year.

Well let's put it this way Pete. Our former governor lost 600K+ of state taxpayer money in a solar company. The company took the cash, closed shop and moved whatever was left to China. After the debacle Gov. Patrick said it was a good investment and that he'd do it again if he had the chance.

That is what we are dealing with.

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
Poor poor oil..

Clean energy groups predict today's agreement means the continent's industry is about to take off.

"It shows how seriously our countries will be starting to take clean energy." said Clare Demerse, senior policy adviser with Clean Energy Canada.

Demerse says it could create a bigger market for Canadian renewable energy.

For example, the U.S. Clean Power Plan allows coal-burning states to import clean Canadian energy that has come online since 2012 to reduce their emissions. Despite a recent court-imposed delay, most environmentalists believe that plan will eventually proceed with a big demand for Canadian hydro, solar and wind power.

There could also be a chance to develop a continent-wide infrastructure for electric cars.

"All three countries manufacture cars, all three are thinking about the next generation of cars," Demerse said.

"There is a lot they can do together to make sure, for example, you could drive an electric car anywhere on the continent and know you can charge it."

Jinentonix

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 6, 2015
Olympus Mons
Poor poor oil..

"There is a lot they can do together to make sure, for example, you could drive an electric car anywhere on the continent and know you can charge it."
Oh fer sure man. I know when I'm travelling along the highway, nothing makes the trip more enjoyable than stopping every 30 miles to fuel up. Hell, even my old gas-guzzling '69 Super Bee with a 6 pack did better than 30 miles between fill ups..

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
, nothing makes the trip more enjoyable than stopping every 30 miles to fuel up.
for 5 hours

Oh fer sure man. I know when I'm travelling along the highway, nothing makes the trip more enjoyable than stopping every 30 miles to fuel up. Hell, even my old gas-guzzling '69 Super Bee with a 6 pack did better than 30 miles between fill ups..

I used to have a 69 Bee too. I took out the oil pan going over railway tracks during a high speed chase.