UberX deemed illegal and unsafe

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Coun. Glenn De Baeremaeker: 'UberX is illegal. UberX is unfair. UberX is unsafe. If you are in an UberX right now, get the heck out.'

Municipal officials have been successful in persuading militant taxi drivers to postpone a demonstration against UberX taxis that would paralyze downtown during NBA celebrations this weekend. There has been a stream of statements from officials such as the Mayor and many Councillors, as well as taxi boses, against a demonstration. At the same, many have spoken out against UberX, and criticized the Mayor, who they feel does not have his heart in opposition to the renegade taxi firm. This is what Councillor Glenn De Baeremaeker (Ward 38) said at a news conference as he was flanked by drivers and Councillor Kristyn Wong-Tam (Ward 27)

De Baeremaeker declares UberX is illegal, unfair and unsafe – The South Bayview Bulldog

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
What is unfair is an over-priced, over-regulated taxi sector that has been enjoying being high on the hog in a monopoly like scenario for too long. Now they have clean well kept cars, quickly dispatched vs old dirty cars and verbal abuse if you have a $5 fare and you want to take the first cab in line. Then you have to explain yourself to the other ones and sometimes almost avoid getting involved in the fight to not have your $5 fare. If the cabbies were providing the service they should at the cost they should, uber would fail.

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
I've never had that kind of experience with taxis.

Every one that I've taken has been perfectly adequate in terms of service.

If you're just whining about $5 extra, it's really no big deal.

The main problem here is that you're not insured if you are involved in an accident with an UberX vehicle and that is unsafe.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
I've never had that kind of experience with taxis.

Every one that I've taken has been perfectly adequate in terms of service.

If you're just whining about $5 extra, it's really no big deal.

The main problem here is that you're not insured if you are involved in an accident with an UberX vehicle and that is unsafe.

I have had issues when I have a short distance to go. The first guy having waited for 3 hours doesn't want to take a $5 fare. And when you go to one towards the back (as the first guy suggests you do) that can cause hassles.

And it is not $5 anymore if you go more than a block. I personally rarely use taxis unless the company provides or going to/from airport (then its a limo) because they are way too pricy. Will suffer through the TTC or drive as alternatives. I may try uber one of these days.

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
I think regular Uber may have some coverages in place, but do not use UberX.

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
I'll let you do the research, but just be aware that if you are involved in an accident and sustain some serious injuries, you won't be covered.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
A taxi "plate" is a quarter million $$$$. If every Uber driver comes up with $250,000 for proper licensing and insurance then by all means, Uber your as$ off.

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
The driver or his insurance company would be automatically liable (of whichever driver was at fault). Same as a taxi.

You are talking about litigation which would take years to complete after you've paid for your injuries out of pocket.

The injury coverage I am referring to is first party coverage, or Accident Benefits.

If the driver of the Uber class vehicle has insurance that is rated under a personal (rather than commercial policy) then his insurance company will deny the claim.