As oilsands punished, tanker loads of cheap Saudi oil sail into Canadian ports daily

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
progs love this:

As federal and provincial politicians pat themselves on the back for their climate change ‘leadership,’ and pipeline opponents gloat about stalling construction of new Canadian pipelines, tanker-loads of foreign oil are delivered regularly to Eastern Canadian refineries, including increasing volumes from Saudi Arabia.

That’s right. Saudia Arabia, the oil-rich kingdom that is waging a brutal price war to shore up its market share and devastating Canada’s oil and gas sector in the process, dumped an average of 84,017 barrels a day of its cheap oil in New Brunswick’s Irving Oil Ltd. refinery in 2015, according to data compiled by the National Energy Board (NEB). That’s up from 63,046 b/d on average in 2012.

Overall, refiners in Quebec, Ontario, Newfoundland and New Brunswick imported about 650,000 barrels a day from foreign producers in 2015. In addition to Saudi Arabia, the oil came from the United States, Algeria, Angola, Nigeria, because there is insufficient pipeline capacity to import it from Western Canada, which produces far more oil than it needs.

The reversal of Enbridge Inc.’s Line 9, which is finally up and running after much opposition and moves up to 240,000 b/d of Western Canadian oil to Montreal, means oil imports will drop this year — but not likely from Saudi Arabia.

mo

As oilsands punished, tanker loads of cheap Saudi oil sail into Canadian ports daily | Financial Post

and mind flossers, the political self-cutters and brain washers, we see you too:

The attitude of the greens and their allied provocateurs, Dalton McGuinty to name but one premier from that time, all the dim-minded celebrities that took their jaunts to the oilsands to mewl over its planet-destroying potential – the Suzukis and Neil Youngs – has always been fervidly anti-Alberta, reckless with the province's reputation, and deeply disrespectful of its workforce. Neil Young compared working in the oilpatch with "Hiroshima."

I would be asking of them: Why Us? Why, only us? Are there no other pipelines in the world? Are there no other oil economies? Are there not huge projects elsewhere to claim their self-aggrandizing attentions, projects of far more scale and far less regulated that the one in their own country – that supplied such relief to Canadians in terms or jobs, and to the national economy in that invisible pipeline that brought the equalization dollars from Calgary and Edmonton to Ottawa, Montreal and beyond?"

A reader answers beautifully:

"Because its pretty much risk free for the people doing the demonizing (ex Suzuki, Young ect..) to say what ever they want in this country without consequence. Look what happened to Suzuki in Australia, they called his bluff. If the Suzuki's of the world were to travel to OPEC countries and criticize and demonize oil and the workforce over there..They might just lose their heads. We need to start standing up to these people (the silent majority working class) and start calling the bluff. However a good market shock although it might be painful might just wake some of these people up to the fact where the bread and butter comes from."

I understand the Russians weren't amused either.

Rex Murphy on Calgary: 'Where are the city's allies?' - Calgary - CBC News

Reader Tips - Small Dead Animals

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
It would be worse if the oilsands were flourishing because the Saudis can price us out of the market.

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan

Jinentonix

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 6, 2015
Olympus Mons
He's a friggin' geneticist who glommed onto AGW because he makes a sh*t load more money with that crap than he ever would have as a fruit fly geneticist.
Suzuki is just another elitist that has no problem with capitalism or the oil industry, as long as he's profiting from it.

Sadly, what the f*ckwitted tree huggers in Canada don't realize is that those tankers coming to Canada create more air pollution and GHGs than all of Canada's ICEs combined.
Most of them burn bunker fuel, a fuel source so dirty that pretty much every country on the planet has banned it's use on land. And considering that even when oil was over $100/bbl, bunker fuel sold for literally pennies on the gallon. With oil at a quarter of the price it was just a few years ago, there's no real incentive for tanker owners to convert to more efficient fuel sources.
It's been estimated that pollution from commercial shipping is responsible for as many as 20,000 deaths per year in British port cities.

The world's biggest combustion engine is designed for supertankers. It is also the most fuel efficient combustion engine ever built for a large ship. However, that fuel efficiency still equates to 40bbls of bunker fuel burned every hour, that's 1660 gallons or about 6500 liters for those who don't want to do the math. Btw, the vast majority of the tankers that are arriving in Canada don't have that level of fuel "efficiency".

But hey, shiny times and sunny ways and all.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004

This is not "new" news. There have been many, myself included, that have said that Suzuki doesn't have a clue and is only a talking head. He has spread fear and misinformation for years and idiots like MS and his buddy's lap it up as if Suzuki is Moses getting info direct from "God".

It would be worse if the oilsands were flourishing because the Saudis can price us out of the market.

How do you figure that? Canada produces enough oil that we don't NEED to import any. We should be buying our own oil, it's called supporting your local economy, rather than supporting other countries economy's.

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
An oilsands project needs the price of oil to be $80/barrel to be profitable.

If we start exporting, the Saudis will pump even more to make sure we stop production and no one will to buy our comparatively expensive oil either.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
An oilsands project needs the price of oil to be $80/barrel to be profitable.

If we start exporting, the Saudis will pump even more to make sure we stop production and no one will to buy our comparatively expensive oil either.

How about we just stop importing. What's the problem with paying 80/BBL when it's going back into the local economy through jobs, wages, and royalties? Or do you prefer supporting the Saud's over supporting Canadians?

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
Cheap gas, people drive more cause more pollution...
Flossy shouldn't be happy
Or he's a hypocrite.....

You can guarantee I'm going to be driving a lot this summer if prices stay low. My motor home has already been filled. 300 litres of fuel that get's me about 1100km before I need to dump in another 300 litres. I figure, at present prices, I'll be running though about 7-8000km of fuel this summer.

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
You can guarantee I'm going to be driving a lot this summer if prices stay low. My motor home has already been filled. 300 litres of fuel that get's me about 1100km before I need to dump in another 300 litres. I figure, at present prices, I'll be running though about 7-8000km of fuel this summer.
What's the mileage on them motor homes?
With truck and trailer I was averaging 12 MPG.....
OK...just figured it out 10.357 MPG

Last edited:

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA

Now that is a great idea! I've always wanted a motor home and with gas so cheap maybe I'll get one this spring.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
What's the mileage on them motor homes?
With truck and trailer I was averaging 12 MPG.....
OK...just figured it out 10.357 MPG

Mines a 1990 29ft class C with a 460 throttle body injection. 10 is about the best I can hope for. Most new ones can do better than that, even if they are the class A's. The triton V10 gas doesn't do to bad, even if it's a 36-38 footer.

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
Eastern Canada has never seen a drop of your oil sands oil, ever or any Western Canadian oil, save a dribble or two that might explode in a railway tanker (Megantic's oil came from the Dakotas, apparently). This is a non-event story about fantacy oil that never was here.