Latest victim of low oil prices: Plastic industry

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Time to get out of plastics.

Energy companies aren’t the only victims of the persistent plunge in oil prices. Now the plastics industry is beginning to take a hit.

South Korea’s biggest chemical company, LG Chem, is abandoning plans to build a $4.2 billion plastics complex in Kazakhstan, citing rising costs for such a facility and the low cost of oil.

Nearly five years ago, LG Chem had agreed to build the plastics complex near Atyrau in western Kazakhstan in a 50-50 joint venture with Kazakhstan Petrochemical Industries (KPI). The state-owned KazMunaiGas Exploration Production owns 51 percent of KPI, and the privately owned Kazakh company SAT owns the remaining 49 percent of KPI.

The complex had been designed to produce as many as 840,000 metric tons of ethylene per year and 800,000 tons of polyethylene per year. Since it agreed to the joint venture in Kazakhstan, though, LG Chem has decided it should invest in “more promising” ventures elsewhere.

“The Kazakhstan project lost its luster because of a steep increase in facility investment amid growing uncertainty,” the Korean chemical company said in a statement on Jan. 26. “On a business front, LG’s top management reached a consensus that it wasn’t promising.”

LG Chem also said it would scrap a plan to invest in polysilicon, a key part of solar cell manufacturing, due to declining market conditions. That project, already in limbo since it was first announced in June 2011, would have involved the construction of a $408 million plant to produce 5,000 metric tons of polysilicon per year.

The joint venture between LG Chem and Kazakhstan was to help the Kazakh government develop its petrochemical industry. The complex near Atyrau was to have processed ethane, a component of natural gas, and process, or “crack,” it into ethylene. The project was to have been owned and operated by KPI.

The project was to have been constructed in part by the Chinese petrochemical giant Sinopec. The Sinopec stage would have included a plant capable of producing 500,000 tons per year of polypropylene to be bought and exported by Sinopec alone. But negotiations between Sinopec and KPI broke down in August 2014 and Sinopec abandoned the project.

“LG Chem has no option but to invest in businesses that are more promising and have growth potential,” according to C.S. Song, the director of LG Chem’s public relations office. “The money that will be saved from the exits will be used to strengthen the company’s strength in electric vehicle batteries, filters and agricultural chemicals, which we’ve identified as new revenue streams.”

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
I would think that this would be the case, too.

Well I have 2 injection moulds manufacturing kitchen products and the cost of plastic pellets have been cheaper for me..

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
Hemp can replace all the plastic goodies in Canada as well as in the places mentioned in the article. When oil is used you need to find a use for the whole barrel rather than just one segment of the manufactured products. Just to get rid of the extra gasoline now that the economy is in a slump you would have to sell it at $1/gallon.

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
Well I have 2 injection moulds manufacturing kitchen products and the cost of plastic pellets have been cheaper for me..

So, I should expect the price of the PVC and Santoprene extrusions that I have run to go down? I wonder. Those pellets would all come from the US and the dollar difference would counteract any savings in raw material. ( I do not buy "regrind" as colour is critical).

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
Polypropylene polymer is used in the resins and pellets for extrusion, injection molding, and compression holding...

Never mind... might have read it wrong, I just perused it quickly.

One of the major investors is an oil company. I would think that with the price of oil where it is, that investors money is not guaranteed. Too much risk to go forward with the project.

Murphy

Executive Branch Member
Apr 12, 2013
Ontario
This rant was brought to you by the letter 6 and the number B.
---

Well, well. I guess we're gonna have to wind back the clock to the days when we were destroying the planet by drinking out of glass bottles, carried around in wooden boxes, or packed home in paper bags or cardboard boxes.

I'd go to the store and there was glass everywhere. Glass, that was reusable. Wash it out and use it for more beer, Petsi and milk. Glass, that doesn't give off any toxic chemicals, smells or tastes. Glass, that was recyclable. Break it, or watch it come to the end of its usable life, melt it down and make more. Glass, that's made from sand and other natural materials. Damn them!

Oh sure, you could step on the broken stuff, but that was also one of nature's lessons. Pay attention to where you put your hands and feet!

You damn greenies want to save the planet? You're gonna have to decide between heavier, breakable glass bottles made from abundant, natural stuff or the curse of plastic. Drink your coolers out of a glass bottle, pay a deposit and get it back when you bring the empties back. No more plastic water bottles piling up in the ditches or lodged in places where plastic shouldn't be lodged.

And what about the days when all we used was damn paper bags or cardboard boxes to pack groceries and stuff made at the factory? What? Paper bags fall apart in the rain? Ah, use a damn cardboard box or a pillow case!

Go back to using wax paper for sammiches!

No more pressed wood desks and living room furniture chock full of toxic glues and foreign wood chips.

Drink your damn coffee out of paper cups. Forget Styrofoam or mystery petro-toxic containers carried by misanthropes living in cities.

Eat off a damn paper plate! Styrofoam is for losers. Or surprise the world and eat off stoneware/China plates that you can wash and reuse!

Stop importing Chinese "food". Half of the contents are toxic sludge the Chinese are exporting to get rid of it and get rid of us!

Build with wood, cement and bricks again! Vinyl siding is killling you!

And for God's sake, get rid of the Plastic Ono Band! But Murph, we don't need to. The Plastic Ono Band is no more! Oh really? Have you ANY idea how long it takes for plastic to break down?